3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
toontown
May 19, 2022, 11:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
Just wondered what team people would like to see us put out for the county game. I've put squad as I think the bench is even more important in a game with ET and pens.
Firstly I think scannell is a huge loss for us, as well as being no doubt devastating for the player. With sosa being in such poor form, Wright being so injury prone and JMD struggling to last games it puts us in a quandary for that spot. If JMD starts no way is he still on the pitch if it goes to 120mins+ and therefore u lose him for pens when he is one of the players I would trust the most. Sousa is his most likely competition but no way would I want him on the pitch for pens. Bt could you give up a spot for Wright and risk him breaking down when coming on and needing to be replaced himself?

At the back either Pearson or Waterfall need a speedier partner, so smith picks himself. Waterfall has been great throughout the season but has made multiple absolute clangers in his last 2 games. Is he returning to the player of last season who would largely seem to play well before kicking it into his own net or dropping his concentration  at a crucial time. Personally, although I think he is the riskier defender in the sense he is more likely to make a bad error or get sent off I would go with luke as we lack goals and he does carry a very strong goal threat especially with croppers throws.

Full backs and keeper are obvious.

Think with our winger injury clifton also an obvious pick, especially with his athleticism away at a top side. In the middle I think fox has been fantastic but Hurst was pretty scathing about him picking sponsors man of the match wasn't he, perhaps it was more about previous mom awards than that one I can't recall. But perhaps he was less impressed with fox than some others. Who are the other options Burgess and Jones can surely be discounted as they've been awful and Coke has scarcely played. So that leaves hoolohan and raikhy and clifton (if played in CM instead of wide obviously). Raikhy is surely too big a risk especially to start when ET may beckon. Also a risk taking passer like him would be dangerous to play when no doubt he is rusty after his lay off. Clifton has rarely been played CM so it would probably be a surprise if he was picked there. So fox hoolohan does seem the most likely and probably difficult to argue with.

Taylor and mcatee up front you'd expect. Mcatee goes without saying and taylor has linked up with him really well. Both mani and Abrahams have done well at times coming on without really doing enough to dislodge taylor. Either or both likely to come on at some point tho, especially if it is getting towards pens. Mani perhaps using hardest as he could replace Taylor for hold up play,albeit with much less link quality, but offer more goal threat than Taylor. Although I do think penalties would doom us as only those 2 have looked comfortable taking them so far this season.

As for the goalkeeper on the bench question I think for a game like this it would probably be worth it but I don't think Hurst will.  Think he is happy to have Pearson in the 16 to cover it.

Crocombe
Cropper
Smith
Waterfall
Amos

JMD
Fox
Hoolohan
Clifton

Mcatee
Taylor

Subs
Pearson
Wright
Sousa
Mani
Abrahams

I am going without CM cover as clifton can move inside if required and we use one of Wright (if behind or drawng) or sousa (if ahead). Burgess Jones and Coke not good enough, raikhy definitely is but I just think it's too early for him but it was a close decision. It helps that I don't trust Wright to finish the game or sousa to help if we are behind or go to pens, so it's easier to pick them both. If we go through to Wrexham and raikhy has had longer the decision would be even harder though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Abdul19
May 20, 2022, 12:52am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,560
Gold Stars: 216
Think I agree with all that, apart from Raikhy on the bench instead of Sousa.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
lukeo
May 20, 2022, 4:38am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Agree with Abdul. But I'd definitely go with that 11.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 25
Hagrid
May 20, 2022, 6:55am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,412
Gold Stars: 534
I personally think he’ll play Sousa.

Notts play with Wing backs, JMD does not offer any defensive cover whereas Sousa does. His pace will scare them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 25
chaos33
May 20, 2022, 7:08am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
I’d play Raikhy I think. If not from the start then definitely on the bench, to be used.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 25
GollyGTFC
May 20, 2022, 7:18am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,961
Gold Stars: 356
The team (unless there’s an injury we don’t know about or Efete makes a miracle recovery) will be…

Crocombe
Cropper     Smith     Waterfall     Amos
             Fox       Holohan
Sousa            McAtee          Clifton
                 Taylor

Subs: Pearson, Raikhy, Maguire-Drew, Abrahams & Dieseruvwe
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 25
MuddyWaters
May 20, 2022, 7:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,242
Gold Stars: 235
I’d play JMD instead of Sousa because of his end product and set piece ability.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 25
Theimperialcoroner
May 20, 2022, 7:26am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,208
Gold Stars: 102
The OPs starting line up is correct and I’m pretty sure how we’ll line up. Only difference is one of Wright or Sousa will not be on the bench but Raihky will be

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 25
Roast Em Bobby
May 20, 2022, 7:34am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,721
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from GollyGTFC
The team (unless there’s an injury we don’t know about or Efete makes a miracle recovery) will be…

Crocombe
Cropper     Smith     Waterfall     Amos
             Fox       Holohan
Sousa            McAtee          Clifton
                 Taylor

Subs: Pearson, Raikhy, Maguire-Drew, Abrahams & Dieseruvwe

I think that's probably the team he will pick. Personally I'd have a keeper on the bench, just in case though
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
toontown
May 20, 2022, 8:50am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
Looking at the previous county away game which was a superb 2nd half performance from town were NC barely left their own half for long periods. JMD was not in the squad I assume injured. Sousa played the whole game, Wright came on with 15 to go during which we scored twice.

Maybe sousa gets the nod over JMD to start then...

Still think a game of this magnitude is too much for raihky when he has had only 45 minutes in the last 2 months or however long.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Squad for County game

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.