aussiej
January 29, 2022, 12:48pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +114
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from joe56

My first away game too! Train from Louth to New Holland, then ferry and another train to Boothferry Park. Town had a great team in those days under Jimmy McGuigan, probably our most underrated manager. I remember Matt Tees scoring our goal. On the train back to New Holland, a Hull supporter went on a rant about how disgusting it was that we relied on a defensive 4-2-4 formation! It was bitterly cold that day. We were all wearing our Beatle boots. It’s amazing what sticks in your mind😉.

The train from Boothferry to the centre of Hull was packed with Town and Hull fans in fine voice with no signs of any trouble whatsoever...
Good banter but no bother as it should be...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 77
exiledmeggie
January 30, 2022, 9:02am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / -6
Approval: -227
Gold Stars: 18
Though many at the Scunts and the GIMPS in the early seventies, I was hooked on town after visiting Bolton in February 73! Seem to remember Dave Worthington been sent in a innocuous way to the moat that surrounded the pitch.

Living in Exile since 1980, but still have Black and White blood!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 77
GollyGTFC
January 30, 2022, 1:39pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,982
Gold Stars: 356
My son’s first game was Barnet away in 2014-15. He was about 5 and a half (the half matters when you’re that age). We won 3-1 with 2 late goals and his reaction and smile after the game confirmed to me that he was hooked. It was the inflatables game.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 62 - 77
dapperz fun pub
January 30, 2022, 1:42pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Away to Rotherham or donny 81 ish can’t remember which was first tbh big following from us loads of aggro at both games
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 77
Mayaman
January 30, 2022, 4:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,400
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from conscorner
Northampton Town at the old County Ground that they shared with the county cricket club - 24/04/79. Town won 2-1 with Cumming and Waters scoring. It was to be Grimsby's last victory of the season, finishing with a draw and two defeats including the famous 3-4 home defeat to Donny and Jack Lewis.

Town still finished second in the league and were promoted to the old Division 3.

Woah!  You can't do that.  I was a young un when I went to that Donny game and I always remember us winning 4-3.  Maybe I just remember the celebrations and assumed we had won.  Waters got 1 or 2 I remember.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 77
Mayaman
January 30, 2022, 4:25pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,400
Gold Stars: 74
My first away game in charge was at .....

I was working at a language centre in London.  I had a couple of students from Switzerland.  No, no; not that kind unfortunately.   Pierre was French speaking and Danny was German speaking - he looked like an Ewok.   Anyway, they wanted to see some English footie and so spent about sixty quid to go to see Arsenal v Chelsea. Somebody got sent off within ten minutes so whoever that team was basically parked the bus.  They watched a boring 0-0 draw.  

I suggested they tag along to a Town gaming.  They didn't seem overly enthusiastic but decided on coming along.   We got the train to Reading and went for a pint.  They kept looking at their watches and were worried about getting a ticket.  "Relax", i repeatedly said.  They were getting antsy so we left and popped into a chippy. I explained that having fish in chips before the game was more or less the law.  They complied.  I convinced them to also get mushy peas and they nearly threw up after tasting them.  Maybe they're just not for the unsophisticated palate.   Anyway, we walked off towards the ground.  I sensed that they were not behind me and turned to see them in the distance.  Every few paces they stopped, plucked out a chip and ate it. I asked them what the hell they were doing.  They replied that they couldn't walk and eat.  They'd never done it before.  I found it odd and funny because I could probably eat my fish and chips while running away from Millwall fans.  

They were pleased to experience a 1-1 draw that was a thrilling end to end encounter.  After that they were hooked.  We went to a few more games including the 5-0 hammering against Palace.  When they returned to Switzerland, I kept them updated with Town scores and sent them mushy peas at Christmas. Sigh, the good old days.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 77
Zmariner
January 30, 2022, 5:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
Doncaster away Feb 78 - can't remember who scored. Makes me feel very old. Followed up by the old show ground a few weeks later and I was hooked for better or usually worse
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 77
Les Brechin
January 30, 2022, 6:23pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,708
Gold Stars: 174
Chesterfield FA Cup Round 1 Replay 1979

2 - 0 down at half time goals from the Kevs gave us a 3 - 2 victory.

I then went to both League Cup replays against Wolves and the Liverpool 3rd round FA Cup match before going back to Chesterfield in the league to see us win 3 - 2 again with all the town goals from one Kev.

I've never travelled away a lot so that first time led to a mini glut.

I think the memory's playing a bit of a trick there. The goals in the league game were from Drinkell, Cumming and Kilmore.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 77
Eastendmariner
January 30, 2022, 7:47pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +940
Gold Stars: 22
29/09/71. Lincoln away a hard to swallow defeat 0-3  big crowd  early in the season which turned out to be memorable for all the right reasons  with promotion  and Div 4 Champs UTM. many more away delights since then

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 77
TownSNAFU5
January 30, 2022, 7:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
BAWB2 is right for the Kev hat trick at Chesterfield in the FAC.  Next stop Liverpool!  

We won’t from 2-0 down after drawing no at home.  Kevin Kilmore.  The scorers were just mixed up with the league game scorers. (Which I cannot remember).
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 77
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Your First Town Away Game

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.