10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
January 13, 2022, 11:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
Player numbers are so low that I am pleased for to see any signing.  We could lose even more players this Sat (God forbid).  Lets build from from one new player.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 90
diehardmariner
January 13, 2022, 11:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,545
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from jamesgtfc

To be fair, he hasn't been released from his contract, his contract has expired and there could be all manner of reasons why he hasn't stayed there longer.

Similar age to Sears with a similar point to prove. The difference is though that this lad isn't dealing with the challenge of moving 4 hours away from home.

Ah yeah, fair point.  Even better then.  Couldn't get in the side of a team chasing for promotion in a league above us.  That's not a negative reason for his release in my eyes. For Port Vale to be sixth at this stage of the season, it suggest they're half decent.  They've got the joint fourth best defensive record in that division.  
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 90
chaos33
January 13, 2022, 11:35am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
This signing isn’t actually officially confirmed yet, or at least, I can’t find confirmation.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 90
quebec38
January 13, 2022, 12:06pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,575
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from chaos33
I think we have to attach limited relevance to people who don’t have an informed opinion on individual players.
Some people on here are completely unrealistic about players and indulge in pre-judgement and overstatement. Saying Crookes can’t kick a ball is just daft. I’ve also read recently that neither of our keepers are ‘up to it’, as well as lots of other examples of nonsensical opinions on players like Hunt, Fox, Clifton etc. We are a 5th tier club. Players make some mistakes, sometimes. Watch Prem games and you’ll notice players making mistakes at elite level too. Watched West Ham at Norwich yesterday, and plenty of examples of poor defending.

What constitutes an informed opinion? Does going to almost every game count?
I said Crookes kicks the ball poorly, which he does. His technique is bad. He can pass down the line and tackle and do lots of other things well like pass short and head the ball. He is steady which there is nothing wrong with and I like him as a player for Grimsby.
You are in the wrong though if you think he gets his foot around the ball properly when he needs to get the ball in to the box. If you regularly make games you will already know this and be aware of the number of times a cross from deep is spun in to the air clumsily from his left foot.
Tbh I am considering whether you are in a position to pass an informed opinion on him.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 90
ginnywings
January 13, 2022, 12:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
It seems from the scant knowledge we have of him, that he is a decent prospect looking to get more game time and settle somewhere.

Seems to be a more mobile, attacking full back/wing back and that can make a big difference to a sides attacking potential, as we can see on the other side of the pitch. Crookes is a steady eddy in defence, but is limited as an attacking option.

He also agreed to go out on loan to Hartlepool and drive up there every day, which says something about his commitment and that's something PH will like about him.

Not actually official yet though, so...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 90
IlkleyMariner
January 13, 2022, 4:51pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
PH saying nothing before the weekend!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 90
chaos33
January 13, 2022, 5:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from quebec38

I said Crookes kicks the ball poorly, which he does. His technique is bad. He can pass down the line and tackle and do lots of other things well like pass short and head the ball. He is steady which there is nothing wrong with and I like him as a player for Grimsby.
You are in the wrong though if you think he gets his foot around the ball properly when he needs to get the ball in to the box. If you regularly make games you will already know this and be aware of the number of times a cross from deep is spun in to the air clumsily from his left foot.
Tbh I am considering whether you are in a position to pass an informed opinion on him.

Amazing he made it as a pro if your judgement can be said to carry more weight than professionals. Seems to me that this is yet another case of an overstatement because you’ve seen one or two examples of crosses by Crookes that were disappointing. As I’ve said in another thread - professionals make mistakes, and at this level - below the EFL- these errors are likely to be more frequent than you would expect from world class players. Personally, I see a competent left back for this level who has some strengths and some areas for improvement; exactly as you’d expect for an NL left back.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 90
Bristol Mariner
January 13, 2022, 5:21pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from quebec38

He’s also got small oval mole on his right arm - making him useless in your eyes, now if it had been square you’d be happy.

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 90
quebec38
January 13, 2022, 5:28pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,575
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from chaos33

Amazing he made it as a pro if your judgement can be said to carry more weight than professionals. Seems to me that this is yet another case of an overstatement because you’ve seen one or two examples of crosses by Crookes that were disappointing. As I’ve said in another thread - professionals make mistakes, and at this level - below the EFL- these errors are likely to be more frequent than you would expect from world class players. Personally, I see a competent left back for this level who has some strengths and some areas for improvement; exactly as you’d expect for an NL left back.

You are actually arguing with yourself here. I’ve already said I like him and think he’s an ok player so what are you going on about? He has poor delivery though and kicks the ball awkwardly, that is literally all I was saying.

I can’t have been any more explicit in stating what else I do like about Crookes and I left loads off as well.

Can’t say anything positive without being called a “happy clapper”, can’t say anything negative without people like you making accusations of making over statements and whatever else. Welcome to the Fishy. What a strange and toxic place.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 90
chaos33
January 13, 2022, 5:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
You’re the one arguing with himself mate. You said he ‘kicks the ball poorly and his technique is bad’. But you ‘like him as a player’?! Right. You see why your view looks all over the place? You’ve backtracked and you’re classicly now deflecting. You’re entitled to your view - carry on. Points have been made and you look a bit daft now. I would read ‘he kicks the ball poorly and his technique is bad’ as a polite way of saying ‘I think he’s cr@p’. But you ‘like him as a player?! Wow. How low are your expectations, and what happens when we get a left back who’s technique is really good? Obviously your view of his ‘technique’ is worth more than the coaches/managers who’ve sanctioned his career in the professional game. I’d quit now and stop digging.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 90
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Signing in the morning

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.