4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
October 12, 2021, 8:47pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
A very lengthy post with some valid points Poojah. Like I said, I first by necessarily agree with LM. I just think it’s bonkers that so many people pile in with the red crosses. Much better to do what you did and say why you disagree.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 38
forza ivano
October 12, 2021, 9:15pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,170
Gold Stars: 265
Think our superior fitness has been a major factor and will continue to do so .it may become even more of a factor the longer we go into the season
You have to remember that the play off teams in particular had a very short close season,  and like many international players who dont have a proper close season, it takes its toll eventually

Ps another bit of good news - yeovil lead Alty 1.0
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 38
ginnywings
October 12, 2021, 9:29pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,126
Gold Stars: 548
Watching the Woking highlights, it did seem that they were well on top first half and perhaps unlucky not to get into the lead, but if you watch them again, you will see McKeown having very little to do, as in a lot of games this season. The defence is protecting him well.

We are also scoring a lot of late goals, which is always a good sign of a decent side.

We've had our fair share of bad decisions against us, but luckily they haven't really cost us too much, except perhaps the disallowed goal against Stockport. We've been good enough to ride the bad decisions by generally being better than the opposition where it matters, in both boxes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 38
toontown
October 12, 2021, 9:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from ginnywings
Watching the Woking highlights, it did seem that they were well on top first half and perhaps unlucky not to get into the lead, but if you watch them again, you will see McKeown having very little to do, as in a lot of games this season. The defence is protecting him well.

We are also scoring a lot of late goals, which is always a good sign of a decent side.

We've had our fair share of bad decisions against us, but luckily they haven't really cost us too much, except perhaps the disallowed goal against Stockport. We've been good enough to ride the bad decisions by generally being better than the opposition where it matters, in both boxes

I was at that Stockport game and although I celebrated mcatees goal I did so mutedly,I expected it to be disallowed. It doesn't show on the highlights as his body hides it buy he clearly placed his hands across the front of the defenders body. From the highlights its difficult to see whether he pushed him much or not but he definitely laid hands on him and maybe you sometimes get away with those, but not that time. It wasn't unlucky it was disallowed,more it would have been lucky to get away with it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 38
blundellpork
October 12, 2021, 10:22pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,655
Gold Stars: 32
The top teams are ‘lucky’ as they spend more time in the opposition penalty area. Likewise, ‘unlucky’ teams spend little time in the oppositions penalty area. Making your own luck is a reality.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 38
toontown
October 12, 2021, 10:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from blundellpork
The top teams are ‘lucky’ as they spend more time in the opposition penalty area. Likewise, ‘unlucky’ teams spend little time in the oppositions penalty area. Making your own luck is a reality.

Yeah definitely agree the increased time spent in oppo box,increased pressure and often better fitness for late goals means there is something in better teams making their own luck. And vice versa.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 38
RonMariner
October 12, 2021, 10:38pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,688
Gold Stars: 226
When Lee Trevino chipped in on his way to winning the British Open in 1972 a  interviewer said he was lucky. 'Yes', he said, 'and the more I practice, the luckier I get.'

The point is that by having a fitter, more determined, more skillful team, we will score late goals, get more chances, get more shots on target, and so on. In short, we will win  more games.

I don't think our position at the top has much to do with luck. It's to do with quality and commitment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 38
KingstonMariner
October 13, 2021, 12:12am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from RonMariner
When Lee Trevino chipped in on his way to winning the British Open in 1972 a  interviewer said he was lucky. 'Yes', he said, 'and the more I practice, the luckier I get.'

The point is that by having a fitter, more determined, more skillful team, we will score late goals, get more chances, get more shots on target, and so on. In short, we will win  more games.

I don't think our position at the top has much to do with luck. It's to do with quality and commitment.

I don’t think anyone was suggesting it’s just down to luck. Personally I don’t think it had much to do with luck, but a shade this way or that way makes a lot of difference. If we’d lost Saturday, and that’s not a stretch of the imagination, we wouldn’t be top now. For all intents and purposes it was luck that Effiong didn’t go down in the box. I know things are supposed to even out over time, but at any moment you find yourself in, the scales can be tipped one way or the other.

I’m just enjoying the results and performances and hoping it continues. But I won’t be surprised if things turn out differently.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 38
Theimperialcoroner
October 13, 2021, 1:09pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,208
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from toontown

I was at that Stockport game and although I celebrated mcatees goal I did so mutedly,I expected it to be disallowed. It doesn't show on the highlights as his body hides it buy he clearly placed his hands across the front of the defenders body. From the highlights its difficult to see whether he pushed him much or not but he definitely laid hands on him and maybe you sometimes get away with those, but not that time. It wasn't unlucky it was disallowed,more it would have been lucky to get away with it.

Can’t agree with you, it was right in front of me, and I was much closer than I’d normally be if I was reffing the game. Both players were battling in a classic 9 on 5 situation, Mcatee was smart/quicker/stronger than the defender. One of the best refs I know has a great phrase for situations like this “not enough for me lads, play on” exactly right tone here.
All that said, we are top of the league on merit, not luck. This is one of the hardest working teams I’ve witnessed at Town and they deserve the plaudits they get.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 38
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Next two games

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.