Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby Town 1972, what formation please?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 218 Guests

Grimsby Town 1972, what formation please?

This thread currently has 956 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Coggeshall Mariner
September 28, 2021, 3:16pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +1
I'm attempting to recreate Lawrie McMenemy's Division 4 winning squad of 1972 in Football Manager.
I have the players with their rough positions, but I'm not sure what the formation was?
There was a back four of Stuart Gray (or Basil Rathbone) and Clive Wiggington at CD, Dave Worthington at RB who was captain, and Alan Campbell at LB(?) later Dave Booth I think.
Then we had Lew Chatterley who was a DM as far as I recall.
Brace on the left, Gauden on the right, Boylen and Hickman CM and Tees up front . . . . but was this 4-1-4-1 or 4-3-3 do you reckon . . . . or 4-4-2 ?

Attachment: gtfc_1972_8642.jpg
Size: 323.57 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message
Madeleymariner
September 28, 2021, 4:39pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,051
Gold Stars: 49
I always thought Brace played on the right
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 4
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 28, 2021, 4:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Basically it was:

Wainman

Worthington           Wiggington ((Rathbone).    Gray.         Campbell

Chatterley (Thompson).         Boylen

Brace.     Hickman (Lewis). Tees.     Gauden. (Woodward)

This was the main squad and their positions and I’m sure other players made the odd appearance but this was the team that finished the season. Think Rathbone probably played the first twenty or so league matches and Woodward started the season and Gauden probably joined in the autumn with Chatterley arriving around February time certainly after he played against us for Northampton and god knows how he was playing at that level after starting with Villa and ending up at Southampton.

For those that were teenagers during this period it probably is the most memorable season even though we had greater success under Buckley but that is probably just an age thing and how those happy memories remain ingrained for ever.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 4
crusty ole pie
September 28, 2021, 4:57pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,326
Gold Stars: 66
Not sure there was a formation just basic old fashioned ATTACKING football if you scored one we will score 3
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 4
exiledmeggie
September 28, 2021, 5:13pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / -6
Approval: -227
Gold Stars: 18
All I remember is the graffiti that stated. ‘Brace is Ace!’

Living in Exile since 1980, but still have Black and White blood!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 4
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby Town 1972, what formation please?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.