dapperz fun pub
September 28, 2021, 8:14am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,017
Gold Stars: 83
Quoted from wigworld

The fact is, there aren't enough lorry drivers. There was a shortage of lorry drivers before the media and politicians started talking about Brexit.
This isn't about cheap labour, it's about trained labour.

Theirs thousands of class one/two licences not being used ,I know of several lads who don’t drive anymore and the reason is simple the hours the pay the work home life ratio the lack of facilities on the road are all excrement. Greedy supermarkets and hauliers thought it was correct to pay shelf stackers the same and in some cases more than lads driving 44 ton lorries  bringing the goods in. The moral of the story is treat people like excrement and they will find other work / careers
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 56
coddy60
September 28, 2021, 8:16am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +652
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from Azimuth

I would have thought it was the Oil Companies and suppliers who had a responsibility to train and have a adequate suply of drivers rather than the Government just like any other business staff need to be trained and paid the going rate in order that they are retained and attracted to the job, the relience on less expensive overseas staff has lead in part to this issue.

Yeah, I wouldn't argue with that in regards to the oil companies. When I said the government, I was more referring to getting some of the sick lame and lazy off the rock and roll.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 56
SpudUDontLike
September 28, 2021, 9:19am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +309
Gold Stars: 8
We are destined to a fuel fate that deserves to be mocked.

We are destined to a fool's fate that deserves to be mocked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 56
codcheeky
September 28, 2021, 9:47am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Theirs thousands of class one/two licences not being used ,I know of several lads who don’t drive anymore and the reason is simple the hours the pay the work home life ratio the lack of facilities on the road are all excrement. Greedy supermarkets and hauliers thought it was correct to pay shelf stackers the same and in some cases more than lads driving 44 ton lorries  bringing the goods in. The moral of the story is treat people like excrement and they will find other work / careers

This.. a lorry driving used to be a well paid job, the conditions have never been great and certainly not moved with the times, around seven years ago an old school friend left the industry, said he asked for more pay as they hadn’t had a rise for years and was told to leave if he wanted, an agency was ready to fill his job with a Pole the next week, so he left.  There was no incentive to train up new drivers or invest in better facilities and now it is coming back to bite the industry.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 56
Maringer
September 28, 2021, 9:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,621
Gold Stars: 185
Sounds like some motorists are trying to outcompete each other for stupidity:

https://www.theguardian.com/bu.....g-up-with-wrong-fuel

I wonder how many are dim enough to think they might as well give a different fuel a try? After all, what could possibly go wrong?!?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 56
The Yard Dog
September 28, 2021, 10:12am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,514
Gold Stars: 74
I did not have a scooby-doo, don't watch or listen to news anymore, 24 hours of the same stories over and over again, the reporting in crap, seems anyone can get on the news these days.

It was only when my lad rang me, panicing, he had drove around doing 40 miles trying to find a station with diesel, as he is a tradeperson needing to fill up for work this week.

Manage to find a garage on Sunday night the Shell garage at the Laceby roundabout. no queue's, limited to £30 per vehicle.
I got a strange look from the cashier when I went to pay for my fuel,"you know you can put upto £30", I had only put in £20 which was enough for the week for me. She told me earlier in the day an ambulance filled up (more than £30 limit) and another customer starting shouting abuse at the crew, if I was there I would have decked the nob.

The news I will be able to watch over and over again, is next year when we get promoted back to the EFL.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 56
cmackenzie4
September 28, 2021, 10:36am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.25
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from Maringer
Sounds like some motorists are trying to outcompete each other for stupidity:

https://www.theguardian.com/bu.....g-up-with-wrong-fuel

I wonder how many are dim enough to think they might as well give a different fuel a try? After all, what could possibly go wrong?!?

You just couldn’t make it up, unbelievable stuff.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 56
mariner91
September 28, 2021, 11:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,695
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

It’s almost as if it doesn’t work if you allow the market and people who own the capital to dictate everything in pursuit of more profit. Who’d have thought it?  

If you don’t have the money available to pay your labour (the ones who actually produce and provide all the value in a company, not the CEO who gets millions) a fair wage and good working conditions then you don’t have a viable business.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 56
Withnail
September 28, 2021, 12:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
The comment below, from some wag, made me laugh.

Toilet rolls, pasta, bread, flour, fuel, common sense. All victims of panic buying that didn't need to happen. A shortage of common sense being the first thing to run out. I'd like to see panic buying of condoms so these hysterical people don't go on to bring children into the world who then end up like their idiotic parents.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 56
Les Brechin
September 29, 2021, 1:39pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,716
Gold Stars: 174
Went to Morrisons this morning. No problem at the petrol station there, if anything it was less busy than usual.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › The "Fuel" problem

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.