Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › favourite concerts/gigs?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
lukeo and 11 Guests

favourite concerts/gigs?

This thread currently has 2,200 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
FishOutOfWater
September 16, 2021, 10:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,575
Gold Stars: 37

That’s was about the time I started going to concerts at the Winter Gardens - missed Queen - can you remember how much a pint was there in the mid 70’s?!

Can't say for sure but I think probably about 20p CM

My first ever night 'out out' was at the Gardens 1973 ... Sunday night disco and I remember "enjoying" a pint or two of Worthington E  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 30 - 39
ginnywings
September 16, 2021, 6:56pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
I can remember getting 3 pints of lager or 4 pints of bitter/mild for a quid or less.

I was a regular most weeks at the Gardens from mid 70's until they stopped the gigs. Lost track of the bands I saw there. Had loads of tickets from that time but they disappeared in one of my house moves. Wish I still had them. They may be tucked away in the loft somewhere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 39
GYinScuntland
September 21, 2021, 8:46am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,252
Gold Stars: 98
Had and still have the pleasure of hundreds of gigs over the years but three that stand out in recent years were AC/DC at Olympiastadion Berlin, just before Brian Johnson left them, Rolling Stones at West Ham's stadium and Black Sabbaths last ever gig which was in Birmingham on my birthday.
I veer towards streetpunk /Oi but will watch nearly any live band.
This year since lockdown ended we've managed a one dayer at Blackpool Winter Gardens which was a truncated Rebellion festival, the night ended with UK Subs, Cockney Rejects and Cocksparrer.
I saw a fantastic set just the other week up in Sunderland, Red Alert, a local band that started in the 70's and we've got tickets booked for Cockney Rejects in Islington and Cocksparrer in Barnsley of all places.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 39
HerveJosse
September 21, 2021, 10:57pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,205
Gold Stars: 144
The Clash Leeds University around 1978 . At the height of their powers.Mayhem!
Worst ever Bob Dylan Nottingham around 6 years ago . Dreadfull!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 39
aldi_01
September 22, 2021, 5:50am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from HerveJosse
The Clash Leeds University around 1978 . At the height of their powers.Mayhem!
Worst ever Bob Dylan Nottingham around 6 years ago . Dreadfull!

Interesting you should say this about Dylan, I love his albums and I appreciate that he’s never been a stand out live performer but when I saw him this was my experience too. The gig was a bit dull and in truth I’ve had more fun watching local talent at acoustic night…each to their own I guess.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 39
Manchester Mariner
September 22, 2021, 9:04am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,819
Gold Stars: 41
I've read nothing but bad feedback of Bob Dylan being awful live. One of the best reviews was that he played all the songs in a different key to what they were written in so they sounded like completely different tunes, absolutely baffling the crowd.

I'm a fairly recent fan of Bob Dylan. The Hurricane is one of my top ten tunes of all time, but I would never ever go see him live based on reports.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 39
SpudUDontLike
September 26, 2021, 11:21pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +309
Gold Stars: 8
Swans gigs never fail to sort me out

We are destined to a fool's fate that deserves to be mocked.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 39
SpudUDontLike
September 26, 2021, 11:56pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +309
Gold Stars: 8
GyinScuntland's post just reminded me of a UK Subs gig at the Corporation in Sheffield a few years ago. I remember grinning all the way through it. They played the Another Kind of Blues album right through. Fantastic, esp considering their age!

And I was at that Sabbath gig too. A brilliant night.

We are destined to a fool's fate that deserves to be mocked.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 39
Les Brechin
September 27, 2021, 5:02pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,716
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from SpudUDontLike
GyinScuntland's post just reminded me of a UK Subs gig at the Corporation in Sheffield a few years ago. I remember grinning all the way through it. They played the Another Kind of Blues album right through. Fantastic, esp considering their age!

And I was at that Sabbath gig too. A brilliant night.

Charlie Harper must be about 90 now. He looked about 60 odd when they were at their height in the late 70's, early 80's.  

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 39
GYinScuntland
September 27, 2021, 5:49pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,252
Gold Stars: 98
Quoted from Les Brechin

Charlie Harper must be about 90 now. He looked about 60 odd when they were at their height in the late 70's, early 80's.  

Saw him a few weeks ago at the truncated Rebellion one dayer, rebranded HITS 25 as a nod to the original Holidays In The Sun.
Despite his age he owned the stage that night and belting out Warhead brought the house down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › favourite concerts/gigs?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.