2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
GollyGTFC
May 11, 2021, 10:14am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,981
Gold Stars: 356
Sacked after taking Tranmere to a 7th place finish and a play-off place.

Apparently it might be to do with a post match interview he gave on Saturday.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
ginnywings
May 11, 2021, 10:25am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Didn't Forest Green do the same the year we won promotion?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
arryarryarry
May 11, 2021, 10:26am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 116
https://www.thefootballnetwork.net/boards/read/s383.htm?730,16983347

Even though they have got into the play-offs some are glad to see the back of him.

I wonder what they would have been saying if he had got them relegated?
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
promotion plaice
May 11, 2021, 10:30am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,993
Gold Stars: 193

It did make me smile seeing Salford City just missing out on the play-offs  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
Southwark Mariner
May 11, 2021, 10:34am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,545
Gold Stars: 82
I thought i'd look up strange managerial sackings after reading this...

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/26-maddest-managerial-sackings-ever-football

If you are anything like FourFourTwo, you stopped celebrating growing another year closer to death some time ago. But not even we’ve ever received a P45, instead of a card from Aunt Mildred, on our birthday.

Spare a thought, then, for Trevor Francis, who was sacked as Crystal Palace boss on the day he turned 49 in April 2003. “He just sat there quietly and said, ‘But it’s my birthday,’” recounted former Eagles chairman Simon Jordan in his autobiography. “I said, ‘Many happy returns, Trev’, and handed him his P45.”

The birthday boy swiftly headed for the training pitch to disseminate the information. “Well, lads, I’ve been sacked,” huffed Francis. “Have a good summer holiday.”

And to think Palace had beaten Grimsby 4-1 away the week before.

(I hadn't realised it was his birthday!)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
Poojah
May 11, 2021, 10:40am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,415
Gold Stars: 1,499
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
I thought i'd look up strange managerial sackings after reading this...

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/26-maddest-managerial-sackings-ever-football

If you are anything like FourFourTwo, you stopped celebrating growing another year closer to death some time ago. But not even we’ve ever received a P45, instead of a card from Aunt Mildred, on our birthday.

Spare a thought, then, for Trevor Francis, who was sacked as Crystal Palace boss on the day he turned 49 in April 2003. “He just sat there quietly and said, ‘But it’s my birthday,’” recounted former Eagles chairman Simon Jordan in his autobiography. “I said, ‘Many happy returns, Trev’, and handed him his P45.”

The birthday boy swiftly headed for the training pitch to disseminate the information. “Well, lads, I’ve been sacked,” huffed Francis. “Have a good summer holiday.”

And to think Palace had beaten Grimsby 4-1 away the week before.

(I hadn't realised it was his birthday!)

I remember that game well - a young Wayne Routledge inspired spanking. It was the game where the penny began to drop that we weren't long for this world as far as second tier status was concerned. Never mind, I thought, a season tearing up Division Two and come back stronger again the following season - it wouldn't be so bad after all.

Yeah, not quite how things panned out...

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
diehardmariner
May 11, 2021, 11:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,396
Gold Stars: 532
Routledge was absolutely unplayable that day.  Only 17 too wasn't he?  

For all the jokes and what not, Tony Gallimore was rarely skinned.  He got absolutely roasted that day by Routledge.  It got to the point where Gally was just trying to kick him but wasn't even getting close.  I'll always remember Routledge going past him, waiting for Gally to recover and giving him a hushed finger to the lips before going past him again.

Shithousery at its finest.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 15
Abdul19
May 11, 2021, 11:42am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,513
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from Poojah

I remember that game well - a young Wayne Routledge inspired spanking. It was the game where the penny began to drop that we weren't long for this world as far as second tier status was concerned. Never mind, I thought, a season tearing up Division Two and come back stronger again the following season - it wouldn't be so bad after all.

Yeah, not quite how things panned out...

I remember the last game of that season against Brighton (Michael Keane etc), there was a hastily made small banner on display in the main stand, saying something like 'on loan to div 2 for 1 year'.

Which I suppose was spot on.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 15
TownSNAFU5
May 11, 2021, 2:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,841
Gold Stars: 42
Yes, good that Salford City did not make the play-offs despite spending a lot of money.  

Another team who missed out again is Exeter. Before Cambridge beat us Exeter had scored the most goals (70) and had the joint-best goal difference (21).  They made £6 Million from the sale and sell-on share for Ollie Watkins.  This money still did not enable them to even get in play-offs.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
FishOutOfWater
May 11, 2021, 4:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Abdul19

I remember the last game of that season against Brighton (Michael Keane etc), there was a hastily made small banner on display in the main stand, saying something like 'on loan to div 2 for 1 year'.

Which I suppose was spot on.

Oh the irony eh?  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Keith Hill / Tranmere Rovers

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.