Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Video Recruitment?
Users Browsing Forum
CrannyMariner and 259 Guests

Video Recruitment?

This thread currently has 2,490 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
May 6, 2021, 11:28am
Guest User
I might be talking a load of rubbish here, but I am 75 years old so hopefully I will be given a bit of leeway.  I just had a thought that after watching all the videos of our new owners so far, and the excitement that I feel having watched them.  Would it not be a good idea for PH to show potential new players these videos to give them some idea of what the plan is here and what our new owners have planned for the future?  Just saying..............
Hagrid
May 6, 2021, 11:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,391
Gold Stars: 534
if it takes a video to try convince a player, they arent the right fit imo

Paul knows what he wants, he is superb at building a team full of spirit and hardwork
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 11
Poojah
May 6, 2021, 11:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,495
Gold Stars: 1,500
I too agree there will be more important factors than videos of the owners in recruiting new players, but there is a message of 'under new ownership' that we need to get across. Our reputation in the game is toxic.

You generally avoid the dodgy Chinese takeaway that gave your mate e-coli, don't you? Word gets around, Grimsby isn't a place people want to come because of the way the club has been run over the years. Even if you don't know someone who knows someone who's been here, you don't have to do much research to realise that we have been a killer of careers.

I'm sure we'll find the way to get the message across. I don't think Hurst would even be here if Stockwood and Pettit weren't able to do that.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 11
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 6, 2021, 12:12pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,271
Gold Stars: 304
Every player that joins Liverpool used to get a DVD (it's probably a link to YouTube today) of the club's history and achievements.

It was never said out loud to them but the message was 'this is what you've joined, this is the legacy you carry forward, this is what we expect'. Several players said it had a big impact on them.

Show prospective/new players the videos from yesterday? Why Not?

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
devs
May 6, 2021, 1:39pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 30
I think PH will use the general points in those videos as a big selling point
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
May 6, 2021, 1:50pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,824
Gold Stars: 553
Every player that joins Liverpool used to get a DVD (it's probably a link to YouTube today) of the club's history and achievements.

It was never said out loud to them but the message was 'this is what you've joined, this is the legacy you carry forward, this is what we expect'. Several players said it had a big impact on them.

Show prospective/new players the videos from yesterday? Why Not?

To be fair, this has been done before. In the first Buckley period (Cliveprolithic age) and the second (Gallyplasteredlithic age) new players used to get VD after a night out in JDs or Pier 39.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
livosnose
May 6, 2021, 1:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,165
Gold Stars: 15

To be fair, this has been done before. In the first Buckley period (Cliveprolithic age) and the second (Gallyplasteredlithic age) new players used to get VD after a night out in JDs or Pier 39.

I once helped Mendonca get a taxi back to Sheffield whilst waiting outside Topkapi kebab house.  We had similar jumpers on from Capital Collection......

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
May 6, 2021, 2:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,824
Gold Stars: 553
Quoted from livosnose

I once helped Mendonca get a taxi back to Sheffield whilst waiting outside Topkapi kebab house.  We had similar jumpers on from Capital Collection......

Is Capital Collection still going?

If so, S&P should partner with them so we can all get fresh clobber for the new season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
pen penfras
May 6, 2021, 2:31pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from 123614
I might be talking a load of rubbish here, but I am 75 years old so hopefully I will be given a bit of leeway.  I just had a thought that after watching all the videos of our new owners so far, and the excitement that I feel having watched them.  Would it not be a good idea for PH to show potential new players these videos to give them some idea of what the plan is here and what our new owners have planned for the future?  Just saying..............

I don't think the videos are that exciting for people who aren't emotionally tied to the club. Some of what they say regarding community, culture and improving the training facilities is good. But they also make very clear that they don't have any immediate plans and haven't put out a "we're going for it" statement. I completely understand that it's the best thing in terms of not building expectations too high, but it doesn't scream ambition to prospective players.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
mike_d
May 6, 2021, 4:05pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +390
Gold Stars: 4
Would that lack of immediate plans include not improving the "office" facilities that were referenced during the Matt Dean interview? The place that the players use day-to-day, and the environment that they work in.

They've just got the keys to the building, and an ability now to gauge where the biggest impact will be. You don't start improvement projects if you don't know what the current state is (think DMAIC improvement techniques), applying appropriate success criteria and then implementing control measures to keep up that new higher standard.

The ground is used for 90 minutes a week normally every other week. Improve that, yes, but improve the place you're going to be at every single day...

So to me, they've identified the biggest things they can fix straight away and will take appropriate action going forwards.

To quote - Insanely amazing or amazingly insane. Life as a Town Fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Video Recruitment?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.