Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What the club needs to get back in the league
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 262 Guests

What the club needs to get back in the league

This thread currently has 10,952 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
come_on_town
April 22, 2021, 12:39pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +165
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from diehardmariner
On the McKeown point....

There's never a happy medium with him.  He tends, especially last few years, to either be amazing or a disaster.

He was very good for us in the Conference before but since coming back into the league we've seen two 'keepers who have offered us a glimpse of what we could have, or perhaps the standard in this league.

Henderson (unrealistic) and then Eastwood (perhaps more realistic).  

Just to throw this one in there.  Ben Killip was just ok when he was here.  He got his chance when McKeown had an injury and I thought he looked decent if not amazing.  He dropped a couple of howlers which ultimately marked his card but his overall game was alright.  But largely we needed and rightly wanted better, even as a back-up.  Killip is now first choice 'keeper at Hartlepool who are top of the Conference.

Was Killip any better than McKeown at this level?  Probably not.  So it's maybe fair to argue that McKeown would still be very good at Conference level.

What I would say though is that I think overall he's gone backwards year on year since we've returned to the league.  No doubting he's still got the ability to pull off the odd wonder wave, which he definitely has done a few since returning to the side. But he doesn't command his area well enough, he doesn't come off his line anywhere near quick enough for my liking and his distribution is poor.  The role of a goalkeeper has changed quite dramatically in the time that McKeown has been here and be it himself or through a lack of coaching, he hasn't really adapted.

I wouldn't be overly disappointed if he was our first choice next season, but then I do think we could and probably should look for someone different.  I've absolutely no idea on Eastwood's situation and likelihood of signing for us, but he's probably more of the standard we should aspire to.  

Totally agree with your post...add the fact that Macca is up their with the biggest earners at the club since he signed his new deal and then the question of value for money comes into play. This said a lot of our current squad earn far more than they produce. UTM
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 87
DB
April 22, 2021, 12:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,042
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from come_on_town

Totally agree with your post...add the fact that Macca is up their with the biggest earners at the club since he signed his new deal and then the question of value for money comes into play. This said a lot of our current squad earn far more than they produce. UTM

I believe the wholesale price of peanuts has risen since with seasons recruitments!

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 87
Azimuth
April 22, 2021, 12:46pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +709
Gold Stars: 61
A motivational inspirational manager and players with a real winning mentality with the facilities and ifrastructure behind them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 87
geir
April 22, 2021, 12:52pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9
One thing is for sure.
NEVER make your goalie captain of the team.

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 87
jimgtfc
April 22, 2021, 1:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,099
Gold Stars: 45
Wouldn’t be surprised to see PH go after Abu Ogogo again. Not been playing at Bristol Rovers and out of contract in the summer. Wasn’t he captain of Shrewsbury under Hurst?

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 87
arryarryarry
April 22, 2021, 1:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,038
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Stew0_0

The mans managed at every level from the northern counties east league right up to the championship. You dont manage that without knowing about a player or two

He hasn't managed at Northern counties level for over 10 years and National League level for over 5 years.

As for championship level, considering his record there best to gloss over that.

As for the rest of his managerial career and knowledge of players that probably applies to the vast majority of current EFL managers and probably those out of work.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 87
Hagrid
April 22, 2021, 2:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,486
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from Azimuth
A motivational inspirational manager and players with a real winning mentality with the facilities and ifrastructure behind them.

you know we are non league dont you.......

jesus christ

Hursty builds a squad of pros with team spirit, you wont find a player who has a bad word to say about him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 87
Les Brechin
April 22, 2021, 2:25pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Hagrid

jesus christ

Hursty builds a squad of pros with team spirit, you wont find a player who has a bad word to say about him

Maybe we should give Jose a bell?  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 87
Azimuth
April 22, 2021, 5:06pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +709
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from Hagrid

jesus christ

He may be a nice man but he is utterly uninspiring and tactically inept, he has long since been found out by just about every opposition he faces.
He record since shrewsbury has been worse than useless.
Team spirit, dont make me laugh, we witnessed what happened on the pitch with the headbutt.

As for your Jesus Christ comment, yes I am well aware of what league we are in and where we are going, are our ambitions so low that we think tbis is acceptable, other arguably smaller clubs achieve much much more and have managers able to adapt and motivate.
Mark my words sticking with Hurst will get us nowhere fast.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 87
Gaffer58
April 22, 2021, 5:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 33
A squad of 22/23 players all better then what we have at the moment, meaning they would be capable of finishing minimum mid table of league 2, that’s the standard required to finish top 3 of the conference.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 87
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What the club needs to get back in the league

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.