Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Goals win games (obviously!)
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Baidu Spider and 337 Guests

Goals win games (obviously!)

This thread currently has 2,601 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
March 3, 2021, 1:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,240
Gold Stars: 235
From the beginning of the season till last night, our inability to score has been obvious. As too has been our inability to keep a clean sheet.

Why therefore do we, now we've got reasonably fit and better strikers, insist on setting up so negatively?

As I see it, we would better off setting up to win games rather than playing to stop our opponents. Much easier to get the points we need by getting 8 wins rather than continuous 'Grimsby Nils'
Private Message
RonMariner
March 3, 2021, 2:14pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,672
Gold Stars: 226
The thing that surprises me most is the inability to keep a few clean sheets.

With Hurst, Doig and Davies involved you would have thought that sorting the defense out  would be the first thing they would have addressed. But, yet again last night, we concede a soft goal.

I am not impressed with the new defensive signings either. Bunny and Menayse don't seem to be much of an upgrade on what we had before. Waterfall, Pollock, Hendrie and Hewitt have been part of an under performing back 4 all season.

Of course we score so few goals that any errors at the back are often terminal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 10
nealeardleyscrossing
March 3, 2021, 3:07pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -322
Gold Stars: 4
Sure , being a Lincoln fan, I will get 3000 red crosses, but I think it is not always about your central defenders when conceding, it is often about what is front of them screening. Take Liverpool for example , it is clear they miss Van Dyke and Gomez, but speak with anyone connected to Liverpool and they will tell you taking Fabinho and Henderson out of the midfield, argualby two of the best in the league, has been why they have conceded so many.

At a different level, but relative to me with Lincoln, we are conceding for fun at the minute, and whilst we have terrible injury issues at the moment and can't fill our bench, we are missing Bridcutt, who has been absolutely superb for us - It isn't a defender, but how he screens the back 4 is very important.

As I have said before i think you will be safe, it is not like you are getting banged each week, and I would imagine a run will happen for you - Your issue is hoping either Barrow and Southend don't go on 1 too.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 10
thefish
March 3, 2021, 3:40pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
Sure , being a Lincoln fan, I will get 3000 red crosses, but I think it is not always about your central defenders when conceding, it is often about what is front of them screening. Take Liverpool for example , it is clear they miss Van Dyke and Gomez, but speak with anyone connected to Liverpool and they will tell you taking Fabinho and Henderson out of the midfield, argualby two of the best in the league, has been why they have conceded so many.

At a different level, but relative to me with Lincoln, we are conceding for fun at the minute, and whilst we have terrible injury issues at the moment and can't fill our bench, we are missing Bridcutt, who has been absolutely superb for us - It isn't a defender, but how he screens the back 4 is very important.

As I have said before i think you will be safe, it is not like you are getting banged each week, and I would imagine a run will happen for you - Your issue is hoping either Barrow and Southend don't go on 1 too.  

You haven't seen us play!

We aren't getting 'banged' each week but we don't 'bang' in any goals and we rarely look like we will.

It's our inability to create chances (and when we do we usually miss them) that will ultimately relegate us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 10
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 3, 2021, 4:44pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,269
Gold Stars: 304

Thanks for this, a bit of perspective. I was only thinking this morning that our last few defeats have been narrow ones, we're not getting hammered. But we are getting beaten and can't score a goal to save our bloody lives.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 10
golfer
March 3, 2021, 5:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 116
We can't score goals because whenever our forwards receive the ball they have their backs to the opposing goal. We need a winger who can get past his man so that he can play a ball that our forwards can run onto
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 10
grimps
March 3, 2021, 5:19pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,121
Gold Stars: 46
After reading Hursts interview with the Telegraph today it looks like he’s no intention of changing anything , we’re doomed  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 10
forza ivano
March 3, 2021, 8:03pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,170
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from grimps
After reading Hursts interview with the Telegraph today it looks like he’s no intention of changing anything , we’re doomed  

as Donald would say 'false news'. I've read the report and it's just a transcript of what he said in the radio interview.
At no point does he say that he has 'no intention of changing anything'
In fact he does say that he will have sleepless nights thinking about what he can change. The exact opposite of what you said.

I know its depressing, frustrating, saddening, angering about the present situation, but it doesn't do any good for posters to tell 'mistruths'
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 10
golfer
March 3, 2021, 8:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Nobody on The Fishy would ever tell a fib.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 10
arryarryarry
March 3, 2021, 11:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042

Thanks for this, a bit of perspective. I was only thinking this morning that our last few defeats have been narrow ones, we're not getting hammered. But we are getting beaten and can't score a goal to save our bloody lives.

Surely that is a recipe for relegation?
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 10
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Goals win games (obviously!)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.