1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
IrishMariner
March 3, 2021, 10:26am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +613
Gold Stars: 19
Matete seems to be playing a much deeper role in recent games compared to when he came first (got forward quite often against Stevenage)

Where would people like to see him play ideally? I think he needs to play further forward and hopefully Coke and Rose can take up the deep CDM role between them on a rotational basis if needs be

Thoughts?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Madeleymariner
March 3, 2021, 1:05pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,047
Gold Stars: 49
He needs to be let loose between the pen areas and roam where he wants to, by far the best midfielder we have and we should just let him get on with it, stuff shape etc just have someone sat in front of the defence to cover for him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 4
kafunanapar140909
March 3, 2021, 4:46pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +575
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from IrishMariner
Matete seems to be playing a much deeper role in recent games compared to when he came first (got forward quite often against Stevenage)

I totally agree. He looks so much better when given licence to get forward and go on some runs. Problem is that Hurst likes to have his two sitting CMs to be fairly conservative, which I think is nullifying Matete a little bit.

Problem is, if he plays as an advanced midfielder in front of two holding, we only have one striker. If we go with a diamond (Matete at the tip behind two strikers), we simply don't have the quality of full-back to get forward and whip crosses in, plus Morais might miss out. Unless we went with a diamond, Morais behind the strikers and Matete as one of the other three CMs with licence to get forward, but that still doesn't leave you with any crossers.

I give up haha
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 4
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
March 3, 2021, 6:25pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +827
Gold Stars: 117
A 4-3-2-1 might be advantageous for us

Yes there is still only 1 out and out striker, but with 2 attacking midfielders (Adams and el Mizouni) capable of swinging the boot occasionally (we would like to believe) who could also get out wide for a telling cross onto the forehead of an advancing player, while behind we have a midfield who can support forwards or backwards, and then the 4 monkeys across the back who couldnt stop a nosebleed, but at least with 3 midfielders who could drop back when needed, all bases are covered.

.....................and..............3......2......1........you're back in the room
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 4
sonofmadeleymariner
March 3, 2021, 6:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,452
Gold Stars: 37
well clearly so far its when we switch to a 442 and he's allowed to roam and get higher up the pitch and isn't restricted to being 5 yards away from a cb at any one time

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 4
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Matete’s Best Position

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.