Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › £3million!!!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 8 Guests

£3million!!!

This thread currently has 1,591 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
February 10, 2021, 1:18pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
ska face
February 10, 2021, 1:22pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
Swinder’s lift.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 14
DB
February 10, 2021, 3:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
I'm all for progress but we had a crossing which had worked well for decades. Network rail then shut because a fatality free crossing is not safe!

The remedy is to spend £3million on something that's not a problem is not progress.

Network rail should foot the billl not the taxpayer

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 14
cmackenzie4
February 10, 2021, 3:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.25
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
I used to be a signaller at Grimsby Pasture street signal box which controlled trains in/out of a Grimsby Town station as well as Cleethorpes Station and had encountered a few problems with near misses at Suggits lane crossing (public not following instructions)  

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 14
Stadium
February 10, 2021, 7:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from DB
I'm all for progress but we had a crossing which had worked well for decades. Network rail then shut because a fatality free crossing is not safe!

The remedy is to spend £3million on something that's not a problem is not progress.

Network rail should foot the billl not the taxpayer

Numerous incursions on the railway.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/number_of_incidents_reported_at

If people follow the regulations it would have remained open.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 14
DB
February 10, 2021, 7:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Stadium

Numerous incursions on the railway.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/number_of_incidents_reported_at

If people follow the regulations it would have remained open.

I read it before posting. 21 in incursions in 5 years and no fatalities. It is 21 too many but if you consider the amount of pedestrians crossing roads without looking, talking on phones etc. the figure would run into millions over 5 years. Roads stay open and people carry on walking in front or behind traffic. It's always the motorists fault !

If network rail want to pay £3million that's up to them, but money from tax payers NO.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 14
cmackenzie4
February 10, 2021, 7:42pm

Recovering Alcoholic
DB - I don’t know the full ins and out of why Suggits lane was closed to pedestrians but I do know Network rail look at closing open crossings like this when there is a high risk factor, it’s to do with line speed, location and volume of people using the crossing,  that’s all I know mate.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 14
DB
February 10, 2021, 7:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from cmackenzie4
DB - I don’t know the full ins and out of why Suggits lane was closed to pedestrians but I do know Network rail look at closing open crossings like this when there is a high risk factor, it’s to do with line speed, location and volume of people using the crossing,  that’s all I know mate.

Thanks for the info as I wasn't aware of this. However £3million is a lot of money and given the distance to and from Cleethorpes station you do have to think that trains could slow right down 10mph if speed was the problem. I'm not on a crusade just think £3M is a lot of brass.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 14
cmackenzie4
February 10, 2021, 8:09pm

Recovering Alcoholic
I agree with you DB, I know the new crossings in Grimsby town centre (Pasture street/Fish dock road/Garden street/Wellowgate/Friargate and Littlefield Lane) were all in the region of 1 million each to instal, the railway seems to be an expensive business mate, I think the cost of the resignalling programme back in 2016 was due to cost £112 million but went well over budget In relation to Cleethorpes to Wrawby junction

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 14
barralad
February 10, 2021, 8:13pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,298
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Chris I have friends living close to the main Nottingham to Derby line. Within half a mile of the house there were three crossing points. There have been several fatalities in the past couple of years (all confirmed as suicides bar one). Before lockdown Network Rail organised a meeting where the clear message was that they would close the lot if they could. It isn't surprising that they dont want those deaths on their record. One of the crossings has been upgraded with lights showing when its safe/not safe to cross. The expectation is that the others (all which follow public footpaths) will be closed. That line has London express trains using it four times an hour as well as cross country and local service trains amounting to over ten trains an hour.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 14
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › £3million!!!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.