Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Credit where credit is due.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

Credit where credit is due.

This thread currently has 2,423 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
January 19, 2021, 2:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
The vaccine rollout seems to be going well.

I have not been too impressed with the government so far, but to get Brexit completed, the trading arrangements sorted out and having to deal with a pandemic cannot have been easy. The pandemic has hit all countries very hard but at least being out of the sclerotic EU has enabled us to get on with the vaccinations much quicker than we would have done.

Let's hope this is the start of getting back to normality, the restrictions start being lifted by early spring and the government gets on with the job of investing in places as promised at the last election.
Private Message
ska face
January 19, 2021, 2:46pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851

I have not been too impressed with the government so far, but to get Brexit completed

Fisheries minister didn’t read the bill - https://www.theguardian.com/po.....-she-was-at-nativity

Workers rights to be scrapped - https://www.theguardian.com/po.....s-rights-post-brexit

The trading arrangements sorted out

Supertrawler unable to fish - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-55621259

Scotland’s fishing industry in turmoil - https://www.independent.co.uk/.....tehall-b1788805.html

New regulations causing meat shortages - https://www.politicshome.com/n.....ritish-meat-industry

and having to deal with a pandemic cannot have been easy.

U.K. Worst in the world - https://www.itv.com/news/2021-.....rsity-research-shows

Tories in corruption scandal - https://www.thelondoneconomic......ption-mp-says/09/10/

More Test & Trace failure/scandal/corruption - https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/nhs-test-trace-boss-dido-23341524

The pandemic has hit all countries very hard

COVID virtually nil across hundreds of millions in major Asian countries -
https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotli.....keep-COVID-near-zero

Pandemic virtually eradicated in New Zealand - https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2020.....n-managing-covid-19/

but at least being out of the sclerotic EU has enabled us to get on with the vaccinations much quicker than we would have done.

U.K. response was permissible under EU law -  
https://fullfact.org/health/coronavirus-vaccine-brexit/

Let's hope this is the start of getting back to normality, the restrictions start being lifted by early spring and the government gets on with the job of investing in places as promised at the last election.

Schools in south being given more “levelling up cash” than elsewhere - https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/schools-money-richer_uk_5f2c082cc5b6b9cff7ee2807

Tories reneg on Transport plans -https://www.ft.com/content/2c22f6b7-a73a-411b-8b27-2b21db4006bc

So yeah, credit where it’s due...
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 26
GollyGTFC
January 19, 2021, 3:17pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,048
Gold Stars: 358
Let's be honest. The NHS vaccinates over 15 million people from Flu every year mostly within a 2 month window in the Autumn. Even this government couldn't mess it up with that experience in the NHS.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 26
ska face
January 19, 2021, 4:52pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
1,610 Covid deaths in the last 24 hours.

CREDIT WHERE ITS DUE!!!
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 26
Sandford1981
January 19, 2021, 5:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59

I have not been too impressed with the government so far, but to get Brexit completed, the trading arrangements sorted out and having to deal with a pandemic cannot have been easy. The pandemic has hit all countries very hard but at least being out of the sclerotic EU has enabled us to get on with the vaccinations much quicker than we would have done.

This is surely a wind up right?

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 26
Stadium
January 19, 2021, 5:24pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19

Brilliant but a little too obvious.

"having to deal with a pandemic cannot have been easy"

What was the quote............

"The government has consistently, throughout this year, been ahead of the curve in terms of proactive measures,”

Oh dear.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 26
DB
January 19, 2021, 6:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from Sandford1981

This is surely a wind up right?

I agree. Never known any government , red or blue tell the truth, the whole truth and never forget to omit a "small" of truth.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 26
LH
January 19, 2021, 7:16pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,566
Gold Stars: 174
All credit to the NHS. If only they’d been given responsibility for test and trace,eh?
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 26
ginnywings
January 19, 2021, 8:23pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 26
DB
January 19, 2021, 8:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from LH
All credit to the NHS. If only they’d been given responsibility for test and trace,eh?

The trouble is politicians meddle too much with the NHS and never take responsibility for the meddling and problems they cause.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 26
Humbercod
January 19, 2021, 10:26pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,487
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from DB

The trouble is politicians meddle too much with the NHS and never take responsibility for the meddling and problems they cause.

The trouble with the NHS is the NHS!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 26
ginnywings
January 19, 2021, 11:19pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 26
KingstonMariner
January 19, 2021, 11:42pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ginnywings

I think the correct term is ‘lyingcunts’.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 26
aldi_01
January 20, 2021, 5:53am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I’m not sure where we’re giving credit?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 26
Manchester Mariner
January 20, 2021, 11:30am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
Credit where credit is due,

Tweet 1351599663959437316 will appear here...

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 26
Stadium
January 20, 2021, 6:52pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
Credit where credit is due,

Tweet 1351599663959437316 will appear here...

I wonder how our two local MP's voted ???

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 26
aldi_01
January 20, 2021, 10:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Stadium

I wonder how our two local MP's voted ???

You know the answer to this...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 26
lew chaterleys lover
February 5, 2021, 2:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237

Nice to see the rollout going better than I thought. Well over 10 million and all most vulnerable to be vaccinated within a couple of weeks.

I had my jab a week ago, and everything was done with military precision so well done to all concerned.

Can't wait to get back to normal which will be a blessed relief for us all.

Private Message
Reply: 17 - 26
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 5, 2021, 3:45pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
“ Britain outside the EU was able to operate as a “speedboat” in securing coronavirus vaccines, the European Commission president admitted today.

In an acknowledgement of Europe’s slow pace of vaccine rollout, Ursula von der Leyen said that operating on its own allowed the UK to move more nimbly to secure supplies.”

and

“ The French government refused to fully fund research by Valneva, a Franco-Austrian startup that has developed its vaccine at its headquarters near Nantes in the Loire region.

Instead, the British backed the development, securing an agreement to supply 60 million doses from a plant in Livingston, West Lothian, starting in October. France won’t get the vaccine until next year.

Franck Grimaud, the company’s chief executive, said that several governments had been contacted at the launch of the project. “The UK responded the fastest,” he said.“

Just a couple of today’s pronouncements from Europe.

I am very happy and grateful to have been able to get my vaccination so quickly.

So far my arm has not withered and dropped off.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 26
Maringer
February 5, 2021, 4:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,647
Gold Stars: 189
Just worth pointing out that Valneva is only running their Phase 1/2 trials at present. Data readout available some time after April 2021 and so we don't know yet if it will work. May well be money down the chute, but let's hope not. I certainly don't mind the government spending a bit of money to support the production of vaccines, especially when you consider how much has been thrown away on dodgy PPE deals and an ineffective track and trace service. Due to the rollout of the other vaccines, get a readout on Valneva's Phase 3 trials will take a while as well, unless they run the trials elsewhere in the world where most aren't immunised. I'd be amazed if anybody got a dose of their vaccine, once approved, much before Christmas.

My guess is that the French will have refused to fund Valneva because they don't manufacture in France and will also have expected that Sanofi's vaccine would work. Unfortunately the Sanofi vaccine candidate flunked out and they are going back to work on it again, increasing the concentration levels so that will be more lengthy trials required in the future. They are going to help produce some of the Pfizer mRNA vaccine in the interim, so not a complete waste.

The UK vaccine taskforce has certainly done an excellent job. Just a pity that the rest of our government has done so poorly in comparison to most of their European counterparts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 26
Humbercod
February 5, 2021, 4:37pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Just worth pointing out that Valneva is only running their Phase 1/2 trials at present. Data readout available some time after April 2021 and so we don't know yet if it will work. May well be money down the chute, but let's hope not. I certainly don't mind the government spending a bit of money to support the production of vaccines, especially when you consider how much has been thrown away on dodgy PPE deals and an ineffective track and trace service. Due to the rollout of the other vaccines, get a readout on Valneva's Phase 3 trials will take a while as well, unless they run the trials elsewhere in the world where most aren't immunised. I'd be amazed if anybody got a dose of their vaccine, once approved, much before Christmas.

My guess is that the French will have refused to fund Valneva because they don't manufacture in France and will also have expected that Sanofi's vaccine would work. Unfortunately the Sanofi vaccine candidate flunked out and they are going back to work on it again, increasing the concentration levels so that will be more lengthy trials required in the future. They are going to help produce some of the Pfizer mRNA vaccine in the interim, so not a complete waste.

The UK vaccine taskforce has certainly done an excellent job. Just a pity that the rest of our government has done so poorly in comparison to most of their European counterparts.

Is it totally impossible for you to give credit on the vaccine rollout and leave it there, without mentioning the government failures elsewhere that you’ve already mentioned I don’t know how many times.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 26
ginnywings
February 5, 2021, 5:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Humbercod

Is it totally impossible for you to give credit on the vaccine rollout and leave it there, without mentioning the government failures elsewhere that you’ve already mentioned I don’t know how many times.

It's a valid point though. We are in greater need of the vaccine, as we are dying at a much higher rate than the rest of Europe.

The vaccine here is a great success, but it doesn't negate all the other poor decisions and general faffing about this government has been involved in. We still haven't shut the fecking borders yet, despite saying we needed to over a month ago. Hotels and airport bosses have no idea what is going on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 26
DB
February 5, 2021, 7:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
“ Britain outside the EU was able to operate as a “speedboat” in securing coronavirus vaccines, the European Commission president admitted today.

In an acknowledgement of Europe’s slow pace of vaccine rollout, Ursula von der Leyen said that operating on its own allowed the UK to move more nimbly to secure supplies.”

and

“ The French government refused to fully fund research by Valneva, a Franco-Austrian startup that has developed its vaccine at its headquarters near Nantes in the Loire region.

Instead, the British backed the development, securing an agreement to supply 60 million doses from a plant in Livingston, West Lothian, starting in October. France won’t get the vaccine until next year.

Franck Grimaud, the company’s chief executive, said that several governments had been contacted at the launch of the project. “The UK responded the fastest,” he said.“

Just a couple of today’s pronouncements from Europe.

I am very happy and grateful to have been able to get my vaccination so quickly.

So far my arm has not withered and dropped off.

Hope everything else is still in place and functions ok

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 26
Maringer
February 6, 2021, 12:32am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,647
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from Humbercod

The fact that you seem to still be defending the government for their many failings indicates I need to keep mentioning it..

If the government really had 'followed the science' as they claim, we'd be in the enviable position of having lost fewer lives and with less damage to the economy and the wellbeing of citizens with the vaccines still coming through quickly. It's not an either/or situation. The government could have done well during the early stages of the pandemic and then still made the right choices with vaccine procurement. They didn't get the vaccine bit right because everything else was copulated up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 26
Humbercod
February 6, 2021, 7:00am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

The fact that you seem to still be defending the government for their many failings indicates I need to keep mentioning it..

If the government really had 'followed the science' as they claim, we'd be in the enviable position of having lost fewer lives and with less damage to the economy and the wellbeing of citizens with the vaccines still coming through quickly. It's not an either/or situation. The government could have done well during the early stages of the pandemic and then still made the right choices with vaccine procurement. They didn't get the vaccine bit right because everything else was copulated up.

Ok captain hindsight 🙄
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 26
Stadium
February 6, 2021, 7:27am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Humbercod

Ok captain hindsight 🙄

Exactly.
I mean as they say:

“Well the government has consistently throughout this year been ahead of the curve in terms of proactive measures in regard in terms of coronavirus measures.”

You do have to laugh if it wasn't so tragic.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 26
Sandford1981
February 6, 2021, 10:44am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Humbercod

Ok captain hindsight 🙄

Oh come on Humbercod -behave! If you don’t have a better retort than that, it would be better not to reply. We’ve already had the hindsight line. As mentioned previously it is the government that have acted in hindsight despite people with foresight advising them otherwise. I am pleased the rollout of the vaccination programme has bucked the trend of this government and gone well. However, it’s a bit like praising Fred West’s building acumen.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 26
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Credit where credit is due.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.