4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
GollyGTFC
January 18, 2021, 11:35am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,959
Gold Stars: 356
7 National League matches tomorrow night. 4 already called off due to "other".
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 33
Poojah
January 18, 2021, 12:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,530
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from GollyGTFC
7 National League matches tomorrow night. 4 already called off due to "other".

Dover have only played 12 games, with a further 34 remaining. It's genuinely hard to see how that division is going to be completed anything like on schedule, if at all.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 33
GrimRob
January 18, 2021, 12:15pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Poojah

Dover have only played 12 games, with a further 34 remaining. It's genuinely hard to see how that division is going to be completed anything like on schedule, if at all.

Plenty of teams managed a huge pile up in 2013. Guernsey was the worst case I remember

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/mar/20/greatest-fixture-pile-ups-history-redux

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 12 - 33
Jarmo.Is.God
January 18, 2021, 12:22pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Not just saying this because of our position.

But cancelling non-league would mean no relegation from league 2, but promotions and relegation from other leagues can go ahead... makes sense to me

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 33
wiggers
January 18, 2021, 12:28pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 11
Selfishly I really hope this happens. Would get us out of this awful position we are in. Would be a massive bullet dodge cos even without COVID, Holloway would have fcuked us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 33
DB
January 18, 2021, 12:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,001
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Not just saying this because of our position.

But cancelling non-league would mean no relegation from league 2, but promotions and relegation from other leagues can go ahead... makes sense to me

Seems good to me. I don't know how but can somebody get a petition up to null and void the national leagues.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 33
diehardmariner
January 18, 2021, 1:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,610
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from GrimRob

Plenty of teams managed a huge pile up in 2013. Guernsey was the worst case I remember

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/mar/20/greatest-fixture-pile-ups-history-redux

The difference is though that it's not just one team facing a pile-up and unlike with the weather, which generally picks up in March time, we're still going to face postponements due to positive testing for a while yet.

Accommodating a pile up of fixtures for one or two teams is manageable if difficult.  When it's the whole league that's facing a pile-up that is only going to get worse, I can't see how it can be done.  The only realistic options are to a) have a lengthy mid-season break or b) write it off.

Option A just kicks the can down the road.  You delay this season, then the next season is delayed and so on.  That's not even taking into account that you might restart it in April but be faced with another delay in May.

It's crap, but scrap the season now.  By August we should (everything crossed!) be in a far better position to have a disruption free season, hopefully with fans back.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 33
Mariner_09
January 18, 2021, 1:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
I'd imagine by August mass gatherings will be allowed and we can't start the season under normal circumstances with proper crowds and postponements due to self-isolation won't be happening anymore.

I do think I wouldn't be so keen on abandonment if we weren't threatened with relegation. Having said that, take Dover for example, they have to fit 34 games into just over 4 months, that's Saturday-Tuesday for the rest of the season already, and that's assuming no more postponements for any reason. It just seems it's too much of a stretch for them with COVID and crap pitches.

If I look at it objectively, I can't see, without a long extension, how that season finishes and with a long extension it means delaying next season as well. Surely they'll have to abandon it and just start afresh next August? I certainly hope so.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 33
RichMariner
January 18, 2021, 1:46pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Imagine trying to rearrange Dover's fixtures.

Play Team A next Saturday — sorry, Team A are fulfilling one of their own postponed fixtures from earlier in the season. How about Team B? They've got an FA Trophy game. Team C? They've got a regular fixture that day.

Ok, is Team D available? Yes!

Finally the day comes, Dover v Team D... and it's postponed because of frozen pitch. Or covid.

And that's just Dover. Imagine looking at it from the other team's point of view - 'We need to squeeze the Dover fixture in somehow, but they're never available because they're always playing some other team!!!'

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 18 - 33
Mikey_345
January 18, 2021, 2:40pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,381
Gold Stars: 105
The longer the season goes and the more games are postponed I see less and less chance of a season being completed.

It’s hard to see now without any more postponements.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › National League

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.