December 1, 2020, 11:25am
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +81
Gold Stars: 1
Gregor Robertson writes about heading potentially being outlawed this week

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/art.....no-headers-njbdv09m7

there is an undoubted link between heading during players careers and subsequent CTE. But could football adapt to no heading or massively reduced heading? Cricket brought in helmets, not suggesting that's done in football, but it does show that sport can adapt.

Or are players just willing to take the risk for something that could ruin their lives downstream?
Logged Offline
Private Message
BobbyCummingsTackle
December 1, 2020, 11:43am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +6,988
Gold Stars: 285
outlawing heading would make it interesting - what do defending teams do when the ball's pumped into the middle of the penalty box? Defenders have to let it go over their heads and chaos ensues. I think there'd be more goals.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 14
pen penfras
December 1, 2020, 11:55am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -138
Gold Stars: 71
I suppose they're going to stop punching in the head during boxing matches too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 14
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 1, 2020, 12:11pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I read this on Sunday and thought it was one of Gregor’s weaker pieces. Clearly there is an issue but not so clear is how far heading causes it or whether it makes a bad condition worse. The second point is what to do about it. Getting rid of heading is the equivalent of throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Heading is a major part of the game, people who play and have played accept that. Take that away and you have a different game that you might as well play on an all weather pitch with 5-a-side rules.

Yes there is risk in any sporting activity. I saw a bloke get a dart through his hand in the pub one night. People fall off mountains, get lost orienteering, crash on bikes, drown in wild water swimming, even die playing cricket despite all the gear .....

Whatever Football decides to do, unlike with VAR I hope it is properly thought through with regard to the consequences for the game itself and not some knee jerk reaction.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 14
grimsby pete
December 1, 2020, 1:24pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
I cannot see football being played without heading the ball.

If footballers don't want to head a ball let them find another sport.

It never did me any harm la de  dah de de  

Seriously players know the risks most sports have some dangers  it's up to the organisers to try and make it as safe as possible.The balls are a lot lighter than they were years ago.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 14
Lincoln Mariner 56
December 1, 2020, 1:40pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,510
Gold Stars: 64
Football, despite its name, would not be the same sport without heading. Whether or not the lighter ball they now play with will help reduce cases of dementia is something worthy of study and a reduction during training of heading balls may also make a small contribution to reducing numbers.

As someone who spent his amateur career playing either centre forward or centre half and a childhood that involved playing football most days of the year it does cross your mind whether it will have an effect given how many balls you’ve headed, elbows you’ve endured and head clashes suffered, especially as a couple of locally renowned amateur players noted for their heading ability now have this disease.

All activities have their risks and football can give fantastic rewards to the few but I suspect most of us wouldn’t change our lives and not play because the enjoyment of playing, and to a lesser extent watching, is too great.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 14
wuffing
December 1, 2020, 2:07pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +788
Gold Stars: 35
Once played centre-half in the Sunday league and the pressure from heading the ball after the keeper had kicked it out of his hands was immense. I would like to see this part of the game outlawed and the ball has to bounce once first before players allowed to engage in play. Free kicks and corners are totally different as they don't have the same angle as when the ball is coming out of the clouds.

What we reckon?

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 14
Rick12
December 1, 2020, 2:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from grimsby pete

.The balls are a lot lighter than they were years ago.
Very true Pete especially when the balls got wet .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 14
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 1, 2020, 2:42pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from wuffing
Once played centre-half in the Sunday league and the pressure from heading the ball after the keeper had kicked it out of his hands was immense. I would like to see this part of the game outlawed and the ball has to bounce once first before players allowed to engage in play. Free kicks and corners are totally different as they don't have the same angle as when the ball is coming out of the clouds.

What we reckon?

One factor we rarely hear about is teaching players to head the ball correctly. I’m not suggesting you didn’t but when I ran junior sides I was always amazed how poor the teaching must have been and some of the kids had spent hours with coaches who had qualifications growing out of their ears. It had become a forgotten skill, perhaps because the balls were so much lighter.

I was never taught to head a ball by anyone but I did learn from reading about it. In particular there was a coaching book I read as a teenager which I borrowed from the library and I remember reading an article in a football mag by Nat Lofthouse that said the same thing. I passed it on to players I managed. Head the ball with the hardest part of your head, the bit with the most bone - the forehead. Always the forehead even for a back header. And keep your eyes open. So the danger of heading any other way must have been known in the 50s/60s.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 14
Rick12
December 1, 2020, 2:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45

One factor we rarely hear about is teaching players to head the ball correctly. I’m not suggesting you didn’t but when I ran junior sides I was always amazed how poor the teaching must have been and some of the kids had spent hours with coaches who had qualifications growing out of their ears. It had become a forgotten skill, perhaps because the balls were so much lighter.

Yes .I remember in school having PE lessons and playing for the school team. Pe teachers never use to tell us how to head the ball. And yes it did hurt .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 14
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Football and dementia/CTE

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.