Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Your allegiance to which political party?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 23 Guests

Your allegiance to which political party?
Conservative
Labour
Liberal Democrats
Other
  View Results 44 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Your allegiance to which political party?

This thread currently has 5,193 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
December 5, 2020, 10:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,643
Gold Stars: 189
Unsurprisingly, I am of the left. They have all the best music, comedy and economics - not to mention most of rest of the facts (undeniably) on their side.

This being the case, I couldn't vote for the Tories who care for nothing but the Convservation of wealth and power built up by their class over the centuries. The LibDems have done little but take votes away from Labour to enable the Tories ever since their inception so they would only get my vote if it stopped the Tories from getting into power. Not an issue around here, obviously.

Unfortunately, the FPTP system means that we're pretty much screwed as a proper representative democracy. I'm fully aware that Starmer is dragging Labour back to the barely-left-of-centre (and to the right of New Labour from initial indications), but what else is the choice for me? The LibDems destroyed themselves in 2010 by opting to go into government with the Tories instead of Labour who were on their wing of the political scale (Nick Clegg seems to be doing OK for himself, though). Even if they moved leftward there would be no point in considering them. The Greens are OK in social and economic terms but in most places a vote for them is just wasted because of FPTP and I also think they are terribly wrong about Nuclear power. Something I could overlook if it was tactical voting to beat the Tories but again, not an issue in this area.

Despite what the bias of the mainstream media would have you believe (much of it owned by right-wing billionaires, let's not forget), deep down, we're a left-leaning country. It's just that most people don't realise the fact. Just look at the combined vote of the parties of the left/centre-left in most elections over the past century. The Americans have their own broken FPTP system but have been 'sensible' enough to have a two-party system. Not the case with us. For a while, this screwed over the UKIPPERs whose votes didn't count for much but, in general, it's the left that loses out. It's why, if a Labour government should manage to get elected, the very first thing they should do is push through PR so that we become a proper representative democracy. New Labour's biggest failing.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 48
KingstonMariner
December 5, 2020, 11:28pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Totally with you on New Lab not pushing PR through. Thought they could stay in power because of the landslides Blair got. Sheer hubris which the British people have paid for.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 48
ginnywings
December 6, 2020, 1:16am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Maringer
Unsurprisingly, I am of the left. They have all the best music, comedy and economics - not to mention most of rest of the facts (undeniably) on their side.

This being the case, I couldn't vote for the Tories who care for nothing but the Convservation of wealth and power built up by their class over the centuries. The LibDems have done little but take votes away from Labour to enable the Tories ever since their inception so they would only get my vote if it stopped the Tories from getting into power. Not an issue around here, obviously.

Unfortunately, the FPTP system means that we're pretty much screwed as a proper representative democracy. I'm fully aware that Starmer is dragging Labour back to the barely-left-of-centre (and to the right of New Labour from initial indications), but what else is the choice for me? The LibDems destroyed themselves in 2010 by opting to go into government with the Tories instead of Labour who were on their wing of the political scale (Nick Clegg seems to be doing OK for himself, though). Even if they moved leftward there would be no point in considering them. The Greens are OK in social and economic terms but in most places a vote for them is just wasted because of FPTP and I also think they are terribly wrong about Nuclear power. Something I could overlook if it was tactical voting to beat the Tories but again, not an issue in this area.

Despite what the bias of the mainstream media would have you believe (much of it owned by right-wing billionaires, let's not forget), deep down, we're a left-leaning country. It's just that most people don't realise the fact. Just look at the combined vote of the parties of the left/centre-left in most elections over the past century. The Americans have their own broken FPTP system but have been 'sensible' enough to have a two-party system. Not the case with us. For a while, this screwed over the UKIPPERs whose votes didn't count for much but, in general, it's the left that loses out. It's why, if a Labour government should manage to get elected, the very first thing they should do is push through PR so that we become a proper representative democracy. New Labour's biggest failing.

Sums it up for me. I could not, and would not, ever vote for a Tory under any circumstances. Vile, self serving goons, the lot of them. Lib Dems are shot and they deserve to be. Other parties not big enough, or powerful enough to ever get elected, so waste of time voting for them.

The Labour Party are too far to the right for my liking, but they are the closest party to my beliefs, so they will get my vote. Don't like the direction Starmer is taking and I didn't much like Blair either, but the likes of Foot, Kinnock and Corbyn will never win over the electorate as the right wing press will just destroy them in the eyes of the public, and the public fall for it every time and vote for a party that doesn't have their interests at heart. Always baffles me why, when you see what they do with their power, which is basically to keep them and theirs in the manner to which they are accustomed. In fact, they have gotten worse as time goes on, and we now have the biggest gap between rich and poor, since probably Victorian times.

Also agree we need a FPTP system, but it would be very difficult to achieve, given the establishment want things to stay just the way they are, and have the power to keep it that way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 48
grimsby pete
December 30, 2020, 5:52pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
Some of the public might fall for the press coverage putting them off from voting Labour Ginny.

But

Some of us have a mind of our own.

I have voted Labour when living in Grimsby because I knew the Tories would not help the likes of Grimsby.

I have voted Labour when I first came to Suffolk but since moving th Thurston and meeting our MP who happens to live in our village I have voted conservative.

If Labour want to get back in power they have to get an electable leader the likes of Corbyn and McDonald were not seen by many voters who used to vote Labour as people they want to run the country.

I could easily vote Labour again if they can come up with a decent cabinet and better policies than the rest.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 48
ska face
December 30, 2020, 6:07pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
Which Labour policy under Corbyn couldn’t you stomach, Pete? Just out of interest as a floating voter.

I see Sir Haircut has whipped to vote for the Brexit deal today, the ham-faced fraud. Labour’s Brexit position in 2019 and their performative objection to it was always just a wedge issue used to get rid of Corbyn. Same as antisemitism. These people don’t care.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 48
grimsby pete
December 30, 2020, 7:51pm

Exile
Quoted from ska face
Which Labour policy under Corbyn couldn’t you stomach, Pete? Just out of interest as a floating voter.

I see Sir Haircut has whipped to vote for the Brexit deal today, the ham-faced fraud. Labour’s Brexit position in 2019 and their performative objection to it was always just a wedge issue used to get rid of Corbyn. Same as antisemitism. These people don’t care.

I did not like the man and did not want him as our prime minister.

What do you dislike about Boris.?

It's all about opinions it does not make me right and you wrong mate.

Maybe I have been persuaded to vote tory because I live in a very nice area very low unemployment just a prosperous area.
If I still lived in Grimsby I would still voting Labour and moaning about the tories.

BUT

Here I have nothing to moan about.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 48
ska face
December 30, 2020, 9:14pm

Vodka Drinker
Can appreciate it you probably didn’t like him as a person, but policy-wise, anything that jumped out as a red flag?

I only ask because Keith Starmer sold himself as someone who’d take the policies forward but with a “politician’s” face on them. The policies under Corbyn were almost universally popular, but Starmer has jettisoned them all as the scumbags on the right of the party have pulled his strings.

The bloke has real problems and I imagine will be replaced within the next 2 years.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 48
grimsby pete
December 30, 2020, 10:53pm

Exile
His spending plans seemed to me to be well over the top.

Then covid came along and behold money has been splashed everywhere.

I will vote tory while I live here because the only way is down so around this area people think the Tories are doing a good job.

Boris wants to even the country so when Shutes  transforms Grimsby and town get a new ground you might think Boris is not so bad after all.

No ?  Did not think so  

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 48
ska face
December 31, 2020, 11:48am

Vodka Drinker
If Shutes gets a new ground built it will be in spite of this govt, not because of them.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 48
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 31, 2020, 1:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from grimsby pete
None I decide at the time which party I agree with.

I am in Pete’s Party.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 48
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Your allegiance to which political party?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.