Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The future
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 216 Guests

The future

This thread currently has 3,904 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
October 24, 2020, 10:28am
Guest User
Good article below on the future of football and the current war going on with the richest clubs. Whatever happens, clubs like ours will be here forever as they are supported by strong emotion and a powerful identity, but we can’t ignore the fact that cash keeps clubs alive. Even if we ended up in the lower tiers of the pyramid we’d still take a huge army to Wembley in the FA 🏺.

https://www.newstatesman.com/e.....lout-financial-covid
Rick12
October 24, 2020, 10:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from 28195
. Whatever happens, clubs like ours will be here forever as they are supported by strong emotion and a powerful identity, but we can’t ignore the fact that cash keeps clubs alive. Even if we ended up in the lower tiers of the pyramid we’d still take a huge army to Wembley in the FA 🏺.

Very true. Still kind of moved me when I read that this club was founded before world football giants like Real Madrid, Barcelona, Liverpool and Juventus.

When I walk around Blundell park and see the old photos of better times  I get a feeling of nostalgia which some clubs lack .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 21
mimma
October 24, 2020, 10:51am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
Quoted from Rick12
Very true. Still kind of moved me when I read that this club was founded before world football giants like Real Madrid, Barcelona, Liverpool and Juventus.

When I walk around Blundell park and see the old photos of better times  I get a feeling of nostalgia which some clubs lack .

You left Lincoln City off that list!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 21
Rick12
October 24, 2020, 11:16am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from mimma

You left Lincoln City off that list!
I didnt feel nothing when I went there.

I respect the fan base though. Anyone who supports a lower league cub in todays climate of multimillion sponsorship deals and the glamour that money brings deserves respect .Hence if all your family have supported a lower league unglamorous  club and all your friends at school in the playground support the glamour boys of Manchester United or Liverpool you can often be the butt of jokes eg Lincoln or Grimsby are s***.Trust me Ive been there as Iam sure a lot have on here as well.

Can be draining always defending yourself against some people but  Ive found individuals  come to respect the reasons why you support a club like Grimsby eg your family have always supported the club or your from the area.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 21
mimma
October 24, 2020, 12:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
I spent 11 months working in Liverpool.  I always had a Town top on, at work and around the city. I once left work at night, and went for a pint. Ended up in Flares till 3 in the morning wearing the black and white shirt.
Not once in that time did anyone ever look down on me or the club. They would often come up to me and talk about Town and lower league football, but never did they take the p1ss.
Liverpool is a proper football mad city, I often started the blue-red arguments off!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 21
Manchester Mariner
October 24, 2020, 1:25pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
I find that a lot of my colleagues who support other 'bigger clubs' end up looking out for Towns results and when I go in the office Im met with 'saw your result at the weekend' type chats. There are also a lot of chats wanting Town tips for their accumulators and 'I signed Akheem Rose from your lot on FIFA last night's type stuff. The days of getting the urine taken out of for supporting my local lower league club were pretty much relegated to when I was at school.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 21
ginnywings
October 24, 2020, 2:07pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from mimma
I spent 11 months working in Liverpool.  I always had a Town top on, at work and around the city. I once left work at night, and went for a pint. Ended up in Flares till 3 in the morning wearing the black and white shirt.
Not once in that time did anyone ever look down on me or the club. They would often come up to me and talk about Town and lower league football, but never did they take the p1ss.
Liverpool is a proper football mad city, I often started the blue-red arguments off!

Well, we did have Bill Shankly for a while, honing his skills here before he eventually arrived at Liverpool, where he transformed them into the team they are now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 21
KingstonMariner
October 24, 2020, 2:30pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Interesting article. The game is certainly fractured in this country. I think that goes right back to the formation of the FL and the century long rivalry between it and the FA. Allowing the formation of the PL as the FA Premier League was part of the FA’s attempt to gain the upper hand, as well as being pursued by the big clubs for their own greedy reasons. The Covid crisis has just exacerbated the divisions. Any deal done now will at best be just putting a finger in the dyke until the next crisis.

We’ve known for a long time that neither the FA nor the FL are fit for purpose. I agree with the writer in that this is crying out for government to step in, if our national sport means anything, and create a whole new governance structure got the WHOLE game. From international teams, top professional league and Sunday morning leagues. Including coaching. Pretty much like the Germans did in, what the 1950s?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 21
October 24, 2020, 2:36pm
Guest User
I agree with the writer in that this is crying out for government to step in, if our national sport means anything, and create a whole new governance structure got the WHOLE game. From international teams, top professional league and Sunday morning leagues. Including coaching. Pretty much like the Germans did in, what the 1950s? [/quote]

As he said it would be a vote winner, but this lot are ruling by majority, for now and popularism is on the way out.
Reply: 8 - 21
Kris2
October 24, 2020, 2:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Rick12
I didnt feel nothing when I went there.

I respect the fan base though. Anyone who supports a lower league cub in todays climate of multimillion sponsorship deals and the glamour that money brings deserves respect .Hence if all your family have supported a lower league unglamorous  club and all your friends at school in the playground support the glamour boys of Manchester United or Liverpool you can often be the butt of jokes eg Lincoln or Grimsby are s***.Trust me Ive been there as Iam sure a lot have on here as well.

Can be draining always defending yourself against some people but  Ive found individuals  come to respect the reasons why you support a club like Grimsby eg your family have always supported the club or your from the area.

It just always made sense to me to support my local team. It's where I'm from, I've got a connection with the club, I passed the ground hundreds of times on a daily basis and my family all have history with it too. Even when living elsewhere in the UK it made no sense to support somebody else and Premiership is nice to watch on TV but I have nothing in common with Liverpool, Chelsea and so on. Always found the idea of supporting a club I can't even relate to a bit strange.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 21
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The future

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.