5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
September 11, 2020, 9:43pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
Two of our better games under Neil were a 7-2 win at home to Mansfield followed by a 6-1 win at Histon  the very next game. Then sad to say it went downhill from there.

Some ex players are better working with the youths than grown men Woodsy is one of those and long may it continue.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 40
Abdul19
September 11, 2020, 11:00pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,607
Gold Stars: 219
Quoted from grimsby pete
Two of our better games under Neil were a 7-2 win at home to Mansfield followed by a 6-1 win at Histon  the very next game. Then sad to say it went downhill from there.

Certainly did, we lost at Chasetown 12 days later!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 40
arryarryarry
September 11, 2020, 11:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Abdul19

Certainly did, we lost at Chasetown 12 days later!

That has to be one of the lowest points in our history.

After that defeat we won only 6 games out of 22, why the frig John Fenty didn't sack him after that game, God only knows.

Neil Woods may be ace at working with the youth players but as a First Team manager he was absolute cack.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 40
aldi_01
September 12, 2020, 7:00am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Perhaps it took honest John a while to sack him because he felt guilty for giving him the job in the first place...that or at that stage Woodsy could still use the computer.

In all seriousness, whilst I commend the bloke for taking on the job, I’ve never seen a football manager less excited about the job than Woodsy. Those were dark times but in all honesty I hold no malice towards the man.

Had the chance to meet him several times, great bloke, always happy to say hello and he works wonders with our youth system, and let’s face it, we’re hardly rolling in cash for the latest thing and have a limited pool to choose from.

Always wish Woodsy all the best and hope he continues to do wonders with our youth system.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 40
toontown
September 12, 2020, 7:26am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
Wasn't his caretaker period 6 games without a win including being knocked out of the cup by some pub team, couldn't believe he was appointed after that tbh. Really badly not up to it as manager. Fair play has done really well with the youth team tho and clearly that is where his strength lies.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 40
September 12, 2020, 8:41am
Guest User
Quoted from toontown
Wasn't his caretaker period 6 games without a win including being knocked out of the cup by some pub team, couldn't believe he was appointed after that tbh. Really badly not up to it as manager. Fair play has done really well with the youth team tho and clearly that is where his strength lies.

Yep. Having demonstrated no aptitude for the position, Neil was appointed by Fenty...presumably because he was the cheap option.

Questionable decision by JF.

I guess Neil took the job out of loyalty to the club; the players he inherited were pretty awful.
Reply: 25 - 40
September 12, 2020, 9:44am
Guest User
Am excited to see more home grown talent to have their chance in the starting XI... like Pollock, Clifton, Wright, Boyd, etc

Reply: 26 - 40
Mikey_345
September 12, 2020, 10:35am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,570
Gold Stars: 108
Quoted from 137

Yep. Having demonstrated no aptitude for the position, Neil was appointed by Fenty...presumably because he was the cheap option.

I guess Neil took the job out of loyalty to the club; the players he inherited were pretty awful.

If memory serves me right that’s a tad unfair. I think Fenty is recorded as wanting to give Slade another go but the board voted for woods?

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 40
pen penfras
September 12, 2020, 10:56am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from 137

It's very questionable, but it was Mike Parker that wanted him to have the job. But I suppose that doesn't fit into the mantra that Fenty makes every decision and the board are just his puppets...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 40
September 12, 2020, 2:16pm
Guest User
Quoted from pen penfras
It's very questionable, but it was Mike Parker that wanted him to have the job. But I suppose that doesn't fit into the mantra that Fenty makes every decision and the board are just his puppets...

Stand back a bit though. JF was (officially) chairman of a football club in considerable difficulty.
The board appointed a completely inexperienced and (based on his caretaker results) unpromising manager.
Who wanted whom is a sideshow.
The required leadership (a steady hand) was not forthcoming, at that critical moment, from the chairman.

BTW I thought everyone in football knows that nice guys don't make good managers...
Reply: 29 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Woodsy

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.