Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,612
Gold Stars: 5
Joe Starbuck - right back/centre mid/wide right
Duncan Idehen - centre half
Joseph Hope - left back
Cameron Painter - centre mid/right back

Good luck to them all. fair chance given the current climate they all will get a fair bit of 1st team opportunity's
Logged Offline
Private Message
TwoLeftFeet
July 1, 2020, 2:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,063
Gold Stars: 18
Like you say with a small squad great opportunity for the youngsters to impress when we do restart. Neil Woods and the rest of his staff are doing a great job there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 18
Boris Johnson
July 1, 2020, 2:52pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
good luck yoof
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 18
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
July 1, 2020, 2:58pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +782
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
Like you say with a small squad great opportunity for the youngsters to impress when we do restart. Neil Woods and the rest of his staff are doing a great job there.

Completely agree, BUT what is worrying is if they step up but dont play to a certain standard. Will we be stuck with underperforming members in the limited squad size and have to grin and bear them until their contract runs out, presuming they will only be offered 1 year? Or can their contracts be terminated to allow Ollie to sign someone to cover their position?

I think that a lot of new contracts for footballers will include new clauses because of the situation the EFL have pushed upon lower league clubs.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 18
Heisenberg
July 1, 2020, 3:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,759
Gold Stars: 89
This is the way lower league football will be from now on; small squads of senior players with a good fistful of youth players actually available and considered for selection.  Maybe there is actually a silver lining to the pandemic; there has to be one somewhere, surely?

I really hope these boys make it; despite Woodsy doing a good job, the success rate of our graduates progressing is still quite low in recent times.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 18
jock dock tower
July 1, 2020, 4:31pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Buss pass holders like me will remember with pride watching the Moore's, Drinkell, Ford, Mawer, Lund, Wilkinson, Donovan, Wiggington, Croft and others all progress through the youth system to become first team players of some stature. Value for money? Absolutely, and the likes of Wilkinson, Croft and Donovan all secured big money moves to further their career, and bring much needed finance to the club.

Between them they played 1,900 games for the club, so it was a major investment in youth which paid off handsomely. We have to get back to this kind of system. It's long overdue.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 18
Madeleymariner
July 1, 2020, 5:00pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +24 / -14
Approval: +2,986
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from jock dock tower
Buss pass holders like me will remember with pride watching the Moore's, Drinkell, Ford, Mawer, Lund, Wilkinson, Donovan, Wiggington, Croft and others all progress through the youth system to become first team players of some stature. Value for money? Absolutely, and the likes of Wilkinson, Croft and Donovan all secured big money moves to further their career, and bring much needed finance to the club.

Between them they played 1,900 games for the club, so it was a major investment in youth which paid off handsomely. We have to get back to this kind of system. It's long overdue.

Its a nice thought but half of them nowadays would be snapped up by thje Premier/Big champ teams before they were even put on a YTS and thats why very few of our youths will ever make any big lumps of transfer money, though some will hopefully get to the level required for us to use them. If you look at all our most recent money spinners they were released by much higher clubs when still young eg. Bennett/Bogle,  and if he is as good as we hope then Martty Pollock might make us a few quid but again he was released by a much higher club I think.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 18
Tommy
July 1, 2020, 6:51pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,850
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Heisenberg
This is the way lower league football will be from now on; small squads of senior players with a good fistful of youth players actually available and considered for selection.  Maybe there is actually a silver lining to the pandemic; there has to be one somewhere, surely?

I really hope these boys make it; despite Woodsy doing a good job, the success rate of our graduates progressing is still quite low in recent times.

Patience and it will come.

The Academy has only been structured as it is now since we got back into the FL. So only 4 seasons have passed since. I'm sure in another 5/6 years we'll see much more, when the kids start coming through that have been in the Academy in its current format all the way through the system.

In other words, the lads that have just finished as u16s and been given decisions now, were in the academy when it was operating on skeleton staff and funded by donations/fundraising. And only in their last few years has the structure of coaches, support staff, strength & conditioning etc all been in place.
The kids that came in as u9s when the Academy was set up as it is now, will only just have finished their season as u12s. So in 4 years they'll have gone the whole way through the better Academy set up that exists now and potentially be offered YT's.

Thats not to say players arent being produced already. Holloway has spoken of a few he likes already, and there's the few we already have in the first team squad. Onwards and upwards.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 18
TownSNAFU5
July 1, 2020, 7:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,760
Gold Stars: 41
I really hope that they progress here.  Would have been ideal if one of them was a striker.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 18
livosnose
July 2, 2020, 12:15am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,143
Gold Stars: 15
Me and the wife sponsored Joey and Cam last season as we feel guilty living so far away and not being able to contribute on a regular basis . Was given the recommendation by one Mattie Pollock .

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 18
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 4 youth players offered deals

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.