6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
WesternMariner
June 7, 2020, 8:03pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +948
Gold Stars: 38
September 1991 League Cup v Villa - Paul McGrath. Anyone who was there will know what I mean - we would have walked that tie if it wasn’t for a knackered Irishman with bad knees and a great footballing brain. We were a really good side playing good football but everything, literally everything we created McGrath would pop up, spoil it and play it simple out of defence.

All men are equal before fish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 58
Gaffer58
June 8, 2020, 7:51am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
The Icelandic lad for Bolton just before he went to Chelsea, Eidur Gugjohnson, ran the game and even earlier Mick McCarthy for Barnsley, proper centre half, think he went to Man City next.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 58
HertsGTFC
June 8, 2020, 8:07am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,988
Gold Stars: 228
David Cross the season West Ham murdered us at home, made it look easy.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 58
Yossarian
June 8, 2020, 10:10am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,093
Gold Stars: 18
Good call on McGrath - he was like a magnet - the ball just seemed to always end up at his feet or on his head.

I remember David James when he was at Watford (I think they beat us 0-1) but he was just immense for such a young goalkeeper.

That Bergkamp chap wasn't too shabby for Arsenal in 2001.  I bet he couldn't believe he had to stand on the same pitch as most of those players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 58
jimgtfc
June 8, 2020, 10:24am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,101
Gold Stars: 45
Micheal Owen scoring his first hat trick for Liverpool against us at Anfield a few years before we beat them. He was absolutely electric, only 17 or 18 at the time and it was obvious then what he’d go on to achieve.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 58
friskneymariner
June 8, 2020, 10:26am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
First game of the season away to Cheltenham we were 1-0 at half time thanks to Barry Clonlon goal  Barry Hayles came on a sub for them,he was at the end of his career then, absolutely slaughtered us and the Cheets won 2-1.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 58
Spidey
June 8, 2020, 6:15pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +385
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from grimsby pete
Clive Walker had trick for Chelsea when we drew 3_3 at home.

We bossed the game but he stood out and kept bloody scoring.

I was at that game, I was quite young, and can't remember much about it though. but I do remember walking with my dad to the car after the game, and someone asked us for the score. When told he replied "who to?" It wasn't even funny then to a 7 year old!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 58
dapperz fun pub
June 8, 2020, 8:51pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,047
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from HertsGTFC
David Cross the season West Ham murdered us at home, made it look easy.

Cross was excellent but that hammers team pass and move game was the nearest thing I’d seen to total football Dutch style , they were just superb and that considering we weren’t a bad team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 58
Les Brechin
June 8, 2020, 9:16pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Cross was excellent but that hammers team pass and move game was the nearest thing I’d seen to total football Dutch style , they were just superb and that considering we weren’t a bad team

I think that West Ham game was the 2nd to last home game of the season. In all the previous home league games that season we had conceded a total of only 4 goals!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Oppostion Players That Have Impressed

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.