thefish
April 8, 2020, 9:49am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from aldi_01
There’s a huge sense of egotism in the north east when it comes to football fans. No doubt, they think they’re team is the best and I get that but the come across as if it’s their god given right to be called the beat fans (pointless because fans don’t make you big or successful) and it’s like the forget that essentially none of the teams have ever been particularly successful.

I agree about fans wanting players to show the same loyalty even though for players it’s merely a job...not a single person in Sunderland would’ve turned down that offer Maja got, even if his agent was a male private.

I think the chairman wanted to do well but I don’t think he’s entirely blameless, he did become obsessed with buying a player that clearly the manager didn’t want and paid well over the odds. The other toff, his mate, was a bit David Brent but equally he did make some good points, although he could’ve made them in a better way I feel. He binned off that Irish lass who was a massive Debbie downer and to be fair he made valid points about the marketing and communication team (who is imagine were in decent money given the wage bills) in that they were flipping useless.

It’s funny watching them fail again, especially after the arrogance from the first series when they honestly believed they’d go straight up, and then the same thing again.

My god though, how poorly run are they/were they. 600k on sports therapy...literally zero impact. A cryo chamber, used only by the previous CEO (although why wasn’t it used when plenty of other teams use them and have them), all that money spent on travel costs etc.

Lunacy.

I'm just glad they didn't do a 'Grimsby Til I Die' in 2009/10. Now that could've been cringeworthy viewing!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 15
tanga_the_indestructible
April 8, 2020, 11:23am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +620
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Mayaman
A good documentary which showed me that we are all nuts.  When asked about the transfer rumours Maja said he didn't know anything about them - you could tell he was lying.  You can't blame him for going.  He was getting less than a grand a week at Sunderland, his moved to France netted him about 57,000 a week. The fact that we supporters feel our players should be as loyal as we are.  Also, so many of the fans were pinning their happiness on something they had no control of whatsoever.

Maja scored a stack in that first half (bit like Bogle), then went to Bordeaux where he's done very little (he's got seven goals in the past 14 months, though he was injured for some of that time). Personally, it's a good example of someone moving too quickly and for all the wrong short-term reasons. I think they'd have gone up that season if he'd stayed, which would've been worth much more to Sunderland than the pitiful transfer fee they got (not that they wanted to sell him anyway) – and benefitted him, too.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 15
aldi_01
April 8, 2020, 11:43am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from thefish

I'm just glad they didn't do a 'Grimsby Til I Die' in 2009/10. Now that could've been cringeworthy viewing!

To be fair, it wouldn’t have been much different...

A pre season of ridiculous optimism after a woeful season the year before.

An owner/chairman so far out of his depth and hidden so far up his own bottom it’s worrying.

Two managers which were ultimately the same....flipping useless.

Players tossing it off.

Players who simply weren’t good enough but huffed and puffed.

Players on daft contracts who were shite but wouldn’t intercourse off.

I mean there’s so many comparisons...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 15
thefish
April 8, 2020, 12:55pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from aldi_01

To be fair, it wouldn’t have been much different...

A pre season of ridiculous optimism after a woeful season the year before.

An owner/chairman so far out of his depth and hidden so far up his own bottom it’s worrying.

Two managers which were ultimately the same....flipping useless.

Players tossing it off.

Players who simply weren’t good enough but huffed and puffed.

Players on daft contracts who were shite but wouldn’t intercourse off.

I mean there’s so many comparisons...

Just with better fans  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 15
Abdul19
April 8, 2020, 1:05pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216
Sunderland til I die would've been much better if we'd seen Jack Rodwell drinking Fosters on the way to training

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 15
Mayaman
April 8, 2020, 2:50pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,400
Gold Stars: 74

Maja scored a stack in that first half (bit like Bogle), then went to Bordeaux where he's done very little (he's got seven goals in the past 14 months, though he was injured for some of that time). Personally, it's a good example of someone moving too quickly and for all the wrong short-term reasons. I think they'd have gone up that season if he'd stayed, which would've been worth much more to Sunderland than the pitiful transfer fee they got (not that they wanted to sell him anyway) – and benefitted him, too.

Defo Boglesque.  I doubt anybody would have stayed though. He was their key player and they may have been gunning for promotion with his skills at hand but it was an offer he couldn't refuse.  He could have a career ending injury two or three matches down the line.  At least with his Bordeaux salary he could easily start again. .  A no brainer for me

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 15
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sunderland til I die

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.