Private Message
Stadium
April 2, 2020, 6:42pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
“We were anticipating that we’d be playing again by April, and that sort of interruption wouldn’t have affected us unduly,” Mr Day added.

Very naive.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 21
aldi_01
April 2, 2020, 6:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Stadium
“We were anticipating that we’d be playing again by April, and that sort of interruption wouldn’t have affected us unduly,” Mr Day added.

Very naive.

I mean, I guess now is not the time for bashing the club but this just makes you roll your eyes...so naive...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 21
louth_in_the_south
April 2, 2020, 6:52pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,705
Gold Stars: 96
Anyone else starting to get the feeling that football in the lower 2 divisions is going to be a lot different when it starts up again ?

Lower F5
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 21
Stadium
April 2, 2020, 6:59pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

I mean, I guess now is not the time for bashing the club but this just makes you roll your eyes...so naive...

Agree as football is not relevant compared with other events taking place.
It does affect livelyhoods though,anybody who though normallity would return by April is way off the pace.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 21
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 2, 2020, 7:00pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,755
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Anyone else starting to get the feeling that football in the lower 2 divisions is going to be a lot different when it starts up again ?

Don’t think it will just be the bottom two leagues as Premier & Championship clubs are very reliant on tv income and the rumours suggest these will not be paid and other than some ongoing sponsorship deals they have no income and large financial commitments. Thus when this all over the best guess is that large transfer fees will be no longer as clubs fight for survival and I have read on another site that one unnamed Premiership club is close to calling in the receiver.

Whether Grimsby have been naive is in reality irrelevant as what can they actually do about it?

These are troubling times as businesses, the housing market and people’s livelihood just fall in front of our eyes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 21
Stadium
April 2, 2020, 7:48pm
Champagne Drinker

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 21
louth_in_the_south
April 2, 2020, 7:54pm

Exile
Quoted from Stadium

Very naive.

I don’t see what else they could do really?
As for being naive I think the majority of the country were thinking that this was going to blow over quickly!

Lower F5
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 21
louth_in_the_south
April 2, 2020, 7:57pm

Exile
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Don’t think it will just be the bottom two leagues as Premier & Championship clubs are very reliant on tv income and the rumours suggest these will not be paid and other than some ongoing sponsorship deals they have no income and large financial commitments. Thus when this all over the best guess is that large transfer fees will be no longer as clubs fight for survival and I have read on another site that one unnamed Premiership club is close to calling in the receiver.

Whether Grimsby have been naive is in reality irrelevant as what can they actually do about it?

These are troubling times as businesses, the housing market and people’s livelihood just fall in front of our eyes.

Very true regarding the top 2 divisions. Perhaps they are , in reality, in a worse position than lower league clubs with their financial liabilities.

Lower F5
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 21
Stadium
April 2, 2020, 8:10pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

I don’t see what else they could do really?
As for being naive I think the majority of the country were thinking that this was going to blow over quickly!

The decision which the club has taken isn't been questioned.
Anybody watching the news from China and the European countries which are weeks ahead of ourselves would know it wouldn't "blow over quickly"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 21
aldi_01
April 2, 2020, 8:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
I mean we all had a level of blind optimism that this might not be as big a deal as we were being led to believe but you’d hope the custodian of business such as a football club would’ve still been a tad more cautious than ‘we thought we’d be playing again in April’...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 21
forza ivano
April 2, 2020, 8:53pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,261
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from aldi_01
I mean we all had a level of blind optimism that this might not be as big a deal as we were being led to believe but you’d hope the custodian of business such as a football club would’ve still been a tad more cautious than ‘we thought we’d be playing again in April’...

To be fair to Me Day , he might well have taken his lead from a self confessed medical expert and one of the world's greatest minds, who said hed have America fully open for business by Easter
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 21
TownSNAFU5
April 2, 2020, 9:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
Teams in Div 1 and further down the pyramid rely primarily on season-tickets income.  Many people
fans) are losing their jobs or having severely-reduced income.  They are not likely to have disposable item for non-essential living costs such as season-tickets. (Even though they would like to have one).

This position will apply to most teams who do not receive substantial TV income.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 21
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 2, 2020, 9:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,755
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Teams in Div 1 and further down the pyramid rely primarily on season-tickets income.  Many people
fans) are losing their jobs or having severely-reduced income.  They are not likely to have disposable item for non-essential living costs such as season-tickets. (Even though they would like to have one).

This position will apply to most teams who do not receive substantial TV income.  

One would envisage, and in some way hope, that this leads to a more economic approach to football in this country with admission prices falling along with transfer fees and player wages. In truth in the bottom two divisions there may not be so much opportunity to make these cuts but maybe getting £4K a week in Div 2 as some are reportedly on, more perhaps at certain clubs a la Salford, will be a thing of the past. All clubs will be using up any cash reserves they have hence transfer fees should plummet, about bloody time, and hopefully salaries for those on mega bucks will also come down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 21
MarinerDevil
April 2, 2020, 10:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,779
You know throughout all this I'd totally forgotten about our club's vulnerability to this crisis; most of the focus has been on clubs in already dire positions.  I suppose we're in the hands of the football authorities now, let's hope they can pull something out of the bag, starting with the PFA agreeing to a nationwide pay cut.  If they can't, it could be a massacre.
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
One would envisage, and in some way hope, that this leads to a more economic approach to football in this country with admission prices falling along with transfer fees and player wages. In truth in the bottom two divisions there may not be so much opportunity to make these cuts but maybe getting £4K a week in Div 2 as some are reportedly on, more perhaps at certain clubs a la Salford, will be a thing of the past. All clubs will be using up any cash reserves they have hence transfer fees should plummet, about bloody time, and hopefully salaries for those on mega bucks will also come down.
A worldwide recession/depression is coming which should deflate the football bubble somewhat.  I don't know why I'm counting on that though, didn't happen in 2008.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 21
GollyGTFC
April 3, 2020, 8:18am

Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,040
Gold Stars: 358
If ALL GTFC staff have been furloughed then who is posting on the OS and on the various social media sites?

The government furlough scheme is for companies to put staff who would otherwise be laid off on and the government (taxpayer) pay 80% of their wages whilst they are not working until the business re-engages them. It is not a scheme for businesses (football clubs or otherwise) to get the taxpayer to ultimately pay 80% of employee salary and keep them working.

I can only assume the "all" is not strictly true as any business will need a basic skeleton staff to keep things ticking over.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 15 - 21
diehardmariner
April 3, 2020, 9:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,650
Gold Stars: 539
In defence of the club, it doesn't matter if they were naive or not in expecting things to return to normal by early April.  It wouldn't make any difference to the situation now.  The fact is that no-one could have anticipated this was going to happen, I'm not sure how much of a rainy day fund you can hold onto just in case a worldwide pandemic strikes and all income streams are effectively stopped.

It's reasonable to expect that we might get a drop in gates if form is poor, it's reasonable to expect a temporary cash flow situation if a host of games are called off in a bad winter.  But no-one could have expected that we suddenly would end the season two months early and then potentially be faced with a summer without any season ticket sales.

It's just unprecedented.  
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 21
louth_in_the_south
April 3, 2020, 10:36am

Exile
The club needs all the fans help they can give to get through this disaster. Fortunately for GTFC they have an incredibly loyal and supportive fan base which can only be a positive.

Lower F5
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 21
April 3, 2020, 10:52am
Guest User
To be fair to the club, if they’re looking for government help they’re hardly likely to be shouting that they suspected the season wouldn’t restart and have planned accordingly.
Reply: 18 - 21
Stadium
April 3, 2020, 1:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC
If ALL GTFC staff have been furloughed then who is posting on the OS and on the various social media sites?

The government furlough scheme is for companies to put staff who would otherwise be laid off on and the government (taxpayer) pay 80% of their wages whilst they are not working until the business re-engages them. It is not a scheme for businesses (football clubs or otherwise) to get the taxpayer to ultimately pay 80% of employee salary and keep them working.

I can only assume the "all" is not strictly true as any business will need a basic skeleton staff to keep things ticking over.

You must remember it's the highly inaccurate GT reporting.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 21
aldi_01
April 3, 2020, 1:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
To be fair, you can operate the clubs OS and social media from the comfort on your sofa and it doesn’t exactly have much to do at present...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 21
Abdul19
April 3, 2020, 2:32pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,575
Gold Stars: 218
Must be John himself taking charge of Bebo duties.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 21
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Club Place players and Staff on Furlough

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.