2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
March 23, 2020, 5:57pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
On a day that I have read that 6 emergency ambulances had been vandalised overnight in Kent.

20 fire extinguishers had been set off in a hospital last night in Worchester ,

Our local Tesco express had been robbed at knife point,

A local pub had been broken in during the night and robbed.

A very nice young lady who lives up the road came to my 90 year old neighbours house and mine and offered to do some shopping for us.
When she returned she refused to take our money and said she just wanted to help us old people

What a lovely gesture from an angel .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Rick12
March 23, 2020, 6:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
I think Pete the good is always the stronger force and in the long run always beats the bad.

Pleased to hear your neighbours helped you.We had the same in our area as well.Someone slipped a letter through the door saying if anyone needed any help during this virus outbreak they were willing to help.

Makes you feel better and really made my day when I read that.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 12
blundellpork
March 23, 2020, 6:10pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,665
Gold Stars: 32
Sadly it isn’t the morons that suffer the consequences, but the innocent. I despair!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 12
dapperz fun pub
March 23, 2020, 6:48pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,006
Gold Stars: 83
Some absolute coonts out there but I still think the good people outnumber the bad
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 12
golfer
March 23, 2020, 6:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,443
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from grimsby pete
On a day that I have read that 6 emergency ambulances had been vandalised overnight in Kent.

20 fire extinguishers had been set off in a hospital last night in Worchester ,

Our local Tesco express had been robbed at knife point,

A local pub had been broken in during the night and robbed.

A very nice young lady who lives up the road came to my 90 year old neighbours house and mine and offered to do some shopping for us.
When she returned she refused to take our money and said she just wanted to help us old people

No deterrents Pete - I would birch every last one of them the bastads. Wish we still had " Hung Drawn And Quartering " and then birch the bastads
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 12
Ipswin
March 23, 2020, 7:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from grimsby pete

Clearly not the same 'angel' who is operating in Ipswich pissing off with folks money and in one case a debit/credit card

Some nice illegitimates about!

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 12
Rick12
March 23, 2020, 7:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

Clearly not the same 'angel' who is operating in Ipswich pissing off with folks money and in one case a debit/credit card

Some nice illegitimates about!
If the punishments were more severe people would be less likely to commit these crimes.

In some society's where there is a mugging the crowd come and give the mugger a kick in .Police then come and do the same.Results are crime rates are very low.I dont necessarily agree with all the above but the point in principle.Hence tough love yields results.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 12
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 24, 2020, 4:42pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,306
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from Rick12
If the punishments were more severe people would be less likely to commit these crimes.

In some society's where there is a mugging the crowd come and give the mugger a kick in .Police then come and do the same.Results are crime rates are very low.I dont necessarily agree with all the above but the point in principle.Hence tough love yields results.

Absolutely no evidence that harsher penalties deter crime and especially violent crime, many states in the US have the death penalty and yet their crime rates are among the highest in the country. Conversely, Japan has a phenomenally low crime rate that is directly linked to the Japanese sense of community, personal shame and shared responsibility. Japan does technically have the death penalty but it is very seldom used and then only for the 'highest' crimes, it was used to execute the members of Aum Shinrykio who poisoned passengers on the Tokyo Metro but hadn't been used for a long time before that.

There is though a direct link between crime and levels of poverty, education and environmental factors.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 12
Rick12
March 24, 2020, 4:51pm
Vodka Drinker

Absolutely no evidence that harsher penalties deter crime and especially violent crime, many states in the US have the death penalty and yet their crime rates are among the highest in the country. Conversely, Japan has a phenomenally low crime rate that is directly linked to the Japanese sense of community, personal shame and shared responsibility. Japan does technically have the death penalty but it is very seldom used and then only for the 'highest' crimes, it was used to execute the members of Aum Shinrykio who poisoned passengers on the Tokyo Metro but hadn't been used for a long time before that.

There is though a direct link between crime and levels of poverty, education and environmental factors.
I still feel it has some deterrent though but you need other factors as well like you have pointed out above to further reduce crime.I read a  book  from a English national  who worked out in the Middle east and he said the harsher punishments for committing crimes were directly linked to the low crime rate.In the UK according to him if someone does something wrong eg vandalise a car they know it will just be a meagre sentence.Stands to reason though if your a young person who has had little guidance in life and you know if you break a bus shelter with a brick chances are if you know your going to getting whipped by the police you would think twice about doing it?

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 12
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 24, 2020, 5:10pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,306
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from Rick12
I still feel it has some deterrent though but you need other factors as well like you have pointed out above to further reduce crime.I read a  book  from a English national  who worked out in the Middle east and he said the harsher punishments for committing crimes were directly linked to the low crime rate.In the UK according to him if someone does something wrong eg vandalise a car they know it will just be a meagre sentence.Stands to reason though if your a young person who has had little guidance in life and you know if you break a bus shelter with a brick chances are if you know your going to getting whipped by the police you would think twice about doing it?

I hear you but you openly say you "feel" and that part of your evidence is one individual who worked in the Middle East. The available evidence just doesn't back this up. Evidence of crime rates in the Middle East is very patchy because most countries don't keep reliable crime records and don't categorise crime as we do in Europe - in many Middle Eastern countries domestic crime (for example) is not categorised as a crime because it is socially acceptable to be violent towards your wife or female members of your household. In states that have Sharia law where stonings and cuttting off the hands of thieves is potentially a response to crime those 'punishments' are not delivered via a judicial system but a theocratic one.

In the west where records are kept in a more systematic manner there is clear evidence that those criminals who have had the most severe 'punishments' are the most likely to re offend. Sweden approach serious crime in a very different way to us and see the need to educate criminals, their reoffending rate is less than half of the UK's and they have closed prisons as a result of low occupancy.

The original poster also suggested that muggers get a beating from "the crowd" and then get the same from the police. This is not evidence of a harsh penal system. They are evidence of mob rule and police corruption.

I note that someone has already 'crossed' my original post. Not a word of this is my opinion, it's based on evidence that can be found in a very short time by Googling.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 12
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Not Everybody is a sharp object

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.