5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
February 19, 2020, 5:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 555
I remember watching Dave Gilbert dance on his toes on the touchline, whilst effortlessly trapping a pre-match Tommy Watson crossfield howitzer, to the crackled strains of "I Wanna Dance with Somebody" by Whitney Houston.

To this day I can't pass the reduced section of any backstreet Tesco Express and not be reminded of Gilbert's calves by the glistening, plump protein hit of short shelf-life chicken breast.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 44
Withnail
February 19, 2020, 7:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
We might not have actually run out to it but I vividly remember the Rocky theme tune being played shortly before the team came out in front of a bumper gate at BP in the early 90s. It really seemed to razz up the crowd.

I loved the trumpet track as mentioned above as well. No idea what it is.

Funnily enough I wasn't a fan of Boys Are Back in Town or Simply the Best back then but really like both tracks now, although the latter reminds me more of a boxer's song as he walks to the ring - was it Eubank senior's song of choice?

I remember O Fortuna (used in The 80s Old Spice and an Only Fools and Horses scene) being blasted out at The Stadium of Light in 97 which was very impressive but I'd rather we had our own unique song. It would no doubt cause the fuse to blow in BP's speakers, in turn tripping the electricity and thereby pitching BP into complete darkness - channeling Brian Potter's Phoenix Club on its grand reopening night!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 44
Withnail
February 19, 2020, 8:07pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
Just had a flashback to us running out to 2 unlimited's No Limit and Chumbawumba's Tubthumping. Please tell me I'm wrong about 2 unlimited
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 44
joeheadland
March 9, 2020, 9:41pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +5
A big thank you to everyone for commenting and sharing your memories, its invaluable to the project.

To answer a few questions (which is fair enough, it's a niche area!) - the reason we're doing this study is because we're football fans who are all interested in the game and what it says about the wider culture we live in. We're not only interested in what the music is/was, but the why - we're keen to see how changes in style, type of music used relate to a club's status, wider music fashions, the wider fashionability of football, how clubs have attempted to commodify the match going experience and the battle between globalism/localism.  

So far we've got in contact with a number of historians, writers, former pitchside announcers and matchday DJs at a whole host of clubs. But memory is a very malleable thing - so getting a second opinion from each clubs fanbase can only help

If anyone else has any songs to share please let me know. If you remember roughly what season a song was played that's very helpful too!

cheers

(and my apologies for bumping the thread up - sorry!)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 44
March 10, 2020, 8:48am
Guest User
How about Chumba Wumba's, I get Knocked Down?
Reply: 44 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Music Grimsby have run out to

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.