Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Impressed
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 138 Guests

Impressed

This thread currently has 2,689 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
February 10, 2020, 12:06pm
Guest User
What's impressed me more than anything else since Mr Holloway took charge, is the way we are trying to play one touch football along the ground.  It doesn't always come off but when it does we look like a  well organised team going forward on the attack.  You can see the little triangles forming and the ball going between players at a fast speed, and they then move forward to take the return.  It's special to watch, and even better when the end product is a goal.

Well done Mr Holloway and well done to the squad for taking this on board, I'm sure as the season progresses, out 'tika taka' will do too!  UTMM!
Mayaman
February 10, 2020, 12:50pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,391
Gold Stars: 73
Quoted from 123614
What's impressed me more than anything else since Mr Holloway took charge, is the way we are trying to play one touch football along the ground.  It doesn't always come off but when it does we look like a  well organised team going forward on the attack.  You can see the little triangles forming and the ball going between players at a fast speed, and they then move forward to take the return.  It's special to watch, and even better when the end product is a goal.

Well done Mr Holloway and well done to the squad for taking this on board, I'm sure as the season progresses, out 'tika taka' will do too!  UTMM!

I totally agree.  However, neither side did that in the first half on Saturday much.  I couldn't work out why it took them so long to realise that it wasn't working.  Then I remembered, they are footballers.  The team under previous managers used to do lots of triangles but there was no forward movement.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 7
dapperz fun pub
February 10, 2020, 3:56pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,865
Gold Stars: 82
We actually look like a professional team now with a plan , its been a while since I’ve thought that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 7
Northbank Mariner
February 10, 2020, 4:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,431
Gold Stars: 171
One thing that's impressed me is that Holloway is bothered about the way we play rather than buttering up the opposition all the time..
To think how much we've changed, on and off the pitch, is nothing short of unbelievable.
Square pegs in square holes, the ability to change formation in game and the players having the courage to carry the ball rather than treating like a hot potato...all in all, we're finally getting to watch football, attacking, on the front foot football...long may this continue..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 7
Marinerz93
February 10, 2020, 11:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
One thing that's impressed me is that Holloway is bothered about the way we play rather than buttering up the opposition all the time..
To think how much we've changed, on and off the pitch, is nothing short of unbelievable.
Square pegs in square holes, the ability to change formation in game and the players having the courage to carry the ball rather than treating like a hot potato...all in all, we're finally getting to watch football, attacking, on the front foot football...long may this continue..

That always gripped me, buttering up teams just to get his excuses in early it seemed to me.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 7
Swansea_Mariner
February 11, 2020, 8:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,431
Gold Stars: 63
That was one of Hursts worst traits.......the mighty Woking
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 7
Chazzer
February 11, 2020, 11:08am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +90
It's called the beautiful game, this is the way it should be played

Smile and give your face a holiday - Jerry Cronin
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 7
diehardmariner
February 11, 2020, 11:13am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,361
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from Mayaman

I totally agree.  However, neither side did that in the first half on Saturday much.  I couldn't work out why it took them so long to realise that it wasn't working.  Then I remembered, they are footballers.  The team under previous managers used to do lots of triangles but there was no forward movement.

In fairness, the pitch on Saturday definitely didn't lend itself to any real standard of football other than just slamming it forward.  The wind was deceptive as well and played a part.  In the second half the pitch in front of the Town fans was arguably a little bit better and we then had our (in my opnion) better footballers out on that side with Vernam and Glennon supported by Benson and Whitehouse.  Down the right we had Hendrie but he was isolated a little by Clarke's drifting in approach.

Completely agree that it's nice to see the little triangles, but with pace and intent.  Was a few times where those little link-up plays just tore Bradford apart at ease.  Very easy to say but on a good footballing surface, I think we would have absolutely battered them.

I also like Holloway's approach of not worrying about the opposition.  Spent far too long watching my team knowing we'll have been set up to worry about the guy who's scored 7 goals in 35 games for a mid-table side, so refreshing to hear a manager quite clearly giving his players the licence to play and express themselves.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Impressed

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.