Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Christmas Day league football memories.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 235 Guests

Christmas Day league football memories.

This thread currently has 1,629 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
cannylad68
December 25, 2019, 2:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
When I first started watching the Town, Christmas fixtures were always exciting.
In those days Town usually played at home on Christmas Day, and the reverse fixture on Boxing Day.
I loved going with my Dad, complete with Christmas present of a knitted black and white scarf to the morning fixture, and then to come home to my Mum's Christmas dinner.
Entertainment at the match courtesy of Bing Beales, who would always get the crowd enjoying themselves.
It appears that this tradition started in the 1800's to finish round about 1958.
My first Christmas game was in 1951 against Scunthorpe United in front of 19,000 spectators, with the away fixture on Boxing Day in front of 15,000 spectators.

I suppose the most memorable Christmas fixtures were in 1957. Beating Liverpool at home 3-1, only to lose on Boxing Day 3-2.
If I'm not mistaken our very popular goalkeeper Clarrie Williams was injured and carried off, and obviously there were no substitutes in those days.
I don't know who went in goal, maybe someone on here can answer that.

I would enjoy reading any further posts.

Merry Christmas.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Misterton Mariner
December 25, 2019, 2:58pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +116
Gold Stars: 1
Great days! My memories are of the Cumbrian derby matches Workington v Carlisle United Christmas day and Boxing day. My first experience December 1956.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 8
Grantham_Mariner
December 25, 2019, 6:33pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,184
Gold Stars: 51
Just too young. And I don't say that very often these days.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 8
golfer
December 25, 2019, 7:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 116

I suppose the most memorable Christmas fixtures were in 1957. Beating Liverpool at home 3-1, only to lose on Boxing Day 3-2.
If I'm not mistaken our very popular goalkeeper Clarrie Williams was injured and carried off, and obviously there were no substitutes in those days.
I don't know who went in goal, maybe someone on here can answer that.

I would enjoy reading any further posts.

Merry Christmas.
[/quote]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not sure but I seem to remember Jimmy Fell taking a turn in goal. Don't know where i got the money from but I used to be at nearly every home and away game. Don't think we went more than a couple of games [not like today] without scoring
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 8
pizzzza
December 25, 2019, 7:36pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from cannylad68

I loved going with my Dad, complete with Christmas present of a knitted black and white scarf to the morning fixture, and then to come home to my Mum's Christmas dinner.

Just out of interest, what time did these Xmas day fixtures kick off? I always assumed they were a post Xmas dinner activity but you say morning?
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 8
cannylad68
December 25, 2019, 9:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
It was definitely a morning kick off, perhaps 11.00 or 10.30.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 8
cannylad68
December 26, 2019, 6:44am
Table Wine Drinker
Golfer,

By George I think you've got it.
( My Fair Lady ).

I remember now that Jimmy Fell was the substitute goalkeeper.
The Grimsby Telegraph match report had a photo of Clarrie Williams being stretchered off.
Very sad,.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 8
GrimRob
December 26, 2019, 10:13pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Kirky sent me this:

Just a point about the confusion on the Christmas Day thread. Clarrie Williams was carried off in the first match of the season v Liverpool (3-3) and Jimmy Fell went in goal for that match, NOT the Christmas game the previous season.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 7 - 8
pizzzza
December 26, 2019, 11:43pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from GrimRob
Kirky sent me this:

Just a point about the confusion on the Christmas Day thread. Clarrie Williams was carried off in the first match of the season v Liverpool (3-3) and Jimmy Fell went in goal for that match, NOT the Christmas game the previous season.

Not sure who "Kirky" is but he sounds like a barrel of laughs...
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Christmas Day league football memories.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.