MuddyWaters
October 19, 2019, 8:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,242
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Bigdog
If that's the extent of Jolley's team and tactics after three transfer windows, he isn't cut out for management. Long diagonal to the big man is quite frankly nowhere near good enough.

Waterfall/Ohman is not our best CB pairing..
What's happened to Hendrie?
Our midfield three is just not good enough whoever plays..

We can't play through other sides to get the ball to Rose, Vernam, Ogbu with the ball at their feet or on the half turn to run at defenders. CV has come in for a lot of criticism today but he was the only one moving, showing or making runs first half, never got picked out and when he was the pass was poor.

We are formulaic, static, ponderous and non-creative with the ball..
We are slow, absent-minded ball watchers without it at crucial moments..

Gibson and Macca were the only two who did their jobs today..

Until we pass and move and be mentally switched on for 90 minutes, we're never going to be anything other than inconsistent mid-table or lower table fodder..

Jolley has got to pull his finger out and look at himself today. Drags Vernam off because our midfield can't get the ball to him or Rose. How about sorting out our midfield and style of play to get the ball to our danger men in dangerous positions rather than giving up and reverting to crudely lumping it to the big man? A tactic that any Sunday League manager could employ..

Got a feeling that our squad of players have got more to give if they were managed better..

Couldn’t agree more. At risk of some prat saying I have my favourites, could MJ please stop making Charles Vernam a scapegoat. If you’re going to get your team playing like they did today, don’t pick him. Sell him. Because if you can’t get your defence or midfield to pass the ball, you might as well leave any flair players in the stands.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 54
chaos33
October 19, 2019, 8:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Bigdog
If that's the extent of Jolley's team and tactics after three transfer windows, he isn't cut out for management. Long diagonal to the big man is quite frankly nowhere near good enough.

We can't play through other sides to get the ball to Rose, Vernam, Ogbu with the ball at their feet or on the half turn to run at defenders. CV has come in for a lot of criticism today but he was the only one moving, showing or making runs first half, never got picked out and when he was the pass was poor.

Until we pass and move and be mentally switched on for 90 minutes, we're never going to be anything other than inconsistent mid-table or lower table fodder..

Jolley has got to pull his finger out and look at himself today. Drags Vernam off because our midfield can't get the ball to him or Rose. How about sorting out our midfield and style of play to get the ball to our danger men in dangerous positions rather than giving up and reverting to crudely lumping it to the big man? A tactic that any Sunday League manager could employ..

Got a feeling that our squad of players has got more to give if they were managed better..

Absolutely this

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 54
chaos33
October 19, 2019, 8:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Couldn’t agree more. At risk of some prat saying I have my favourites, could MJ please stop making Charles Vernam a scapegoat. If you’re going to get your team playing like they did today, don’t pick him. Sell him. Because if you can’t get your defence or midfield to pass the ball, you might as well leave any flair players in the stands.

This

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 54
barralad
October 19, 2019, 8:46pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
My first game since Crewe due to illness and what a disappointment. That first half reminded me of the performances in the latter days of Slade Mk 2. Hanson is getting some stick on here but in that first half he didn't get one decent delivery. For me though the most worrying aspect was that half of them appeared not to be bothered. At one point Hess had the ball about 10 yards from the main stand corner flag. He looked up several times and absolutely nobody made themselves available. In the end he knocked it back at least forty yards in a sort of least dangerous move. The first goal was dreadful. Great save from Macca but where were the early season defenders throwing themselves in front of the ball?
The second half was better apart from the finishing. Their keeper made a fantastic save from Green. Hanson and I think Whitehouse missed sitters. Gibson was easily man of the match. Put in a real shift today.  The third and fourth goals were gloss but on that showing the next win could be a long way off.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 54
HertsGTFC
October 19, 2019, 9:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Today we could have gone 7th if we had won but the selection and as RRFC points on another post out the lack of any form of “up an at end” approach didn't really illustrate that we could do anymore than finish mid table.

So I get there needed to be changes and that Robson was set to play but should Ludwig have come straight back in? In reality Is Hewitt aggressive & creative enough in the middle and was it right to throw Clifton and Charlie in considering their patchy form and lack of starts? Far too many gambles for me in what if we where still doing the coupon would probably have gone down as a home win.

Then we look at the shape, could we have gone a bit less open with so many risks to protect? Is 4-3-3 the right shape if we’re insistent on banging it up to Hanson. Would 4-4-2 or even 3-5-2 worked better in terms of getting the ball forward?

Jolley over complicated it today he needed to leave the data, Opta stats, lap top and the diagrams in the office and understand we where playing a side that may not have real quality but after the sad passing of Justin Edinburgh are massively tight and in appointing a new manager mid week would have (as it proved) real desire to take the spoils.

As for the game, not great to watch, poor in tempo and quality and from a Town point of view urgency in what from a Our perspective felt like a morgue only broken by frustrated heckles and boos at the end of each half.

So a day to forget one made worse (again) by a referee who I suspect if the pipeline was better would probably be rated at County level never mind taking charge of a professional game.

There will always be bad days but in the last 3 games we lost at the end to 10 men, lost away to a side that hadn’t won all season and got smashed 4 - 0 by a mid table side. Also with the amount of chopping and changing we’ll never find consistency and face face the danger of p1ssing off senior pros who expect to play most weeks and not be replaced by square pegs or gambles.

Also I love Macca as he’s GTFC through and through but get an outfield skipper please as there will be times like in the last 3 games when we need someone to sort out a mess.

Let’s see what Tuesday brings....... 🙈

UTM!!!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 54
HertsGTFC
October 19, 2019, 9:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Bigdog

Got a feeling that our squad of players has got more to give if they were managed better..

Agree especially re Charlie who is potentially our most difficult player to play against when he runs at defenders with the ball at his feet. Under MJ he’s never going to flourish.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 54
MuddyWaters
October 19, 2019, 9:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,242
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Agree especially re Charlie who is potentially our most difficult player to play against when he runs at defenders with the ball at his feet. Under MJ he’s never going to flourish.

Flair isn’t important apparently. Thankfully England rugby have got a decent Aussie coach.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 54
Stew0_0
October 19, 2019, 10:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 35
I think Jolley at the moment is guilty of overthinking things.
Some fans have been crying out for Vernam, Clifton and Rose to be given more gametime and with the usual 'squad rotation or needing to rest players' despite only being in October we were less effective than usual at home and gifted Orient 2 soft goals. We had to go for it in the 2nd half but when you commit numbers forward chasing the game then holes appear at the back. The game was lost in the 1st half imo.
Clifton was asked to play left side of 3 in midfield and completely innaffective. Vernam was right side of front 3 and is so lightweight even widdowson could easily knock him off the ball and at the moment Rose is nothing more than an impact player from the bench as i dont believe that his legs/hamstrings can do 90 minutes.

I think the message to Jolley should be PLAY YOUR BEST TEAM. That includes Green and Ogbu from the start and i'd like us to start with Pollock. He is very solid for a player of such age and Ohman was awful today. Waterfall was strangely poor today but has had 3 different defensive partners in the short time he's been here so cant be easy to form a partnership.

We set up incorrectly centre midfield today with 3 similar and defensive minded players together. Whitehouse and Cook should have started and we missed Robson.

The team picked 1st half was devoid of creativity and so we resorted more and more to lumping it to Hanson. In the 2nd half when we got Green close to him we could have created more and missed 2 sitters before the sting in the tail with there third.

In short for tuesday I think we should revert back to the tried and tested experienced heads, work on the defence and try and instill some creative play from midfield to give us some chance of points at Cambridge.

Today in general was an awful day at the office and we need to stop this mini run of defeats quickly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 54
marinerdazza
October 19, 2019, 11:08pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,856
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Hagrid
Seen a post on FB claiming hanson is lazy, completely disagree with that, i just cannot understand that if we are playing like we are why on earth we dont have anyone near him

Agree completely. He won plenty of headers but there was never anyone near him to pick it up. He did loads of running as well today which is commendable but it’s hardly his strength. Rose and Vernam were too wide for me.

Today was a wake up call. The mass walkout at 80 minutes should have focused minds. I want Jolley to succeed. Sticking to the best team and Max Wright coming back ought to get us out of this downward spiral.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 54
headingly_mariner
October 20, 2019, 12:11am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Shite today, truly one dimensional and urine weak at the back.

Any truth in Jolley throwing an off air wobbler in the press room
after the game?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.