1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Jarmo.Is.God
September 3, 2019, 8:39am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
MJ is currently getting a lot of credit, and rightly so, we are in the best position we have been for 10+years??

But I can't help but think Limbrick is also playing a huge part behind the scenes.
He's got his badges, and been involved in the sport longer than Jolley, and I think its helping.

They both have a youth set-up background, with Jolley being at Burnley as we know.
Limbrick LinkedIn (https://uk.linkedin.com/in/anthony-limbrick-b9257145) show's a very interesting background which I wasn't actually aware off.

It's very easy to see why they both trust the younger players, and that can only help the club going forward.

Also, Whisper it quietly, but fair play to Fenty for not pulling the trigger at the first chance with these 2.
There has been times when many have wanted him gone, as he's 'out of his depth'

UTM ATAW!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
KingstonMariner
September 3, 2019, 8:56am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
MJ is currently getting a lot of credit, and rightly so, we are in the best position we have been for 10+years??

But I can't help but think Limbrick is also playing a huge part behind the scenes.
He's got his badges, and been involved in the sport longer than Jolley, and I think its helping.

They both have a youth set-up background, with Jolley being at Burnley as we know.
Limbrick LinkedIn (https://uk.linkedin.com/in/anthony-limbrick-b9257145) show's a very interesting background which I wasn't actually aware off.

It's very easy to see why they both trust the younger players, and that can only help the club going forward.

Also, Whisper it quietly, but fair play to Fenty for not pulling the trigger at the first chance with these 2.
There has been times when many have wanted him gone, as he's 'out of his depth'

UTM ATAW!!

Agree. And I agree on giving Fenty credit too.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 7
RichMariner
September 3, 2019, 9:18am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
My dad, who's not really following local football as closely as he used to, keeps saying he's amazed at how no one's poached the Cowleys from Lincoln. Usually, as soon as anyone has any form of success in the lower leagues, they're gobbled up by a team in a higher division.

I don't know the details but I think they were given a very long contract, making it expensive for other teams to take them.

I'm not saying we dive straight into the same sort of contracts for Jolley and Limbrick but there is absolutely no harm in looking down the road to see how we can best protect something none of us want to lose.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 2 - 7
Jarmo.Is.God
September 3, 2019, 9:32am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from RichMariner
My dad, who's not really following local football as closely as he used to, keeps saying he's amazed at how no one's poached the Cowleys from Lincoln. Usually, as soon as anyone has any form of success in the lower leagues, they're gobbled up by a team in a higher division.

I don't know the details but I think they were given a very long contract, making it expensive for other teams to take them.

I'm not saying we dive straight into the same sort of contracts for Jolley and Limbrick but there is absolutely no harm in looking down the road to see how we can best protect something none of us want to lose.

as much as I dislike the Cowleys, and the way they act, they've done an incredible job, and I think they know it would be a huge risk to jump ship, like Hurst did from Shrewsbury.
If so, fair play to them for taking Lincoln even further and not leaving for more money at a bigger club at the first chance
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 7
diehardmariner
September 3, 2019, 9:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,601
Gold Stars: 538
I don't think we can ever accuse Fenty of pulling the trigger too early.  The only time he's gone early is with Marcus Bignot, when there was quite clearly a lot of issues that needed addressing asap.  

If anything, the criticism would be that he has held on too long.  

Buckley Mk III should have gone the summer of 2008 but he was probably spared by the Wembley appearance.  
Some argued that Woods should never had the job and then should have gone once we were relegated.
Hurst most definitely had those who felt countless failures to get us out the Conference should have seen him go.
Slade Mk II without shadow of doubt overstayed his welcome, a cynic will say he was then offered up as a sacrificial lamb against supporter protests.

Jolley too has had his critics and there were periods last season, especially around Autumn where I doubted he was the right man for the job.  Thankfully the more sensible heads prevailed (and in the interest of fairness you have to include Fenty in this equation) and stuck with him, buying into the longer term project.

Regards the Cowley's, I think Jarmo has probably got it spot on.  There's no pressure on them at Lincoln now, even if they stay up in League One on goal difference there stock is ridiculously high there.  From Lincoln at the minute they're not going to get that big jump into the Premier League, they need another stepping stone but it has to be a relatively safe one.  

Wouldn't be surprised if they made the move next summer to a Championship side with a good foundation, safe but with the potential to break into the top 6 minus any real pressure to do so.  Somewhere like a Brentford.  
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 7
Posh Harry
September 3, 2019, 12:36pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,359
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from RichMariner

According to most Lincoln fans they have got a large buy out clause (at least 1 million+) which will put off a lot of clubs at lower championship level, and not sure they are that attractive a proposition to top half championship clubs in this age of foreign ownership and tippy tappy football trends.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 7
pen penfras
September 3, 2019, 5:48pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Posh Harry

According to most Lincoln fans they have got a large buy out clause (at least 1 million+) which will put off a lot of clubs at lower championship level, and not sure they are that attractive a proposition to top half championship clubs in this age of foreign ownership and tippy tappy football trends.

A buyout clause means somebody can force them to buy out the contract, doesn't mean that that's what it will cost. Longer contracts generally mean more compensation, but it's not a rule. The 2 sides typically negotiate what they believe to be fair compensation, often hindered by the fact that the manager has already been approached and wants to go, so it's hard to get a good deal if somebody doesn't want to be there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 7
Poojah
September 3, 2019, 6:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,485
Gold Stars: 1,500
Cowley’s in advanced talks with Sheffield Wednesday according to Sky Sports.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › MJ & AL

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.