2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
TheultimateMariner
August 22, 2019, 12:45pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +429
Gold Stars: 5
I myself am a fan of the 4-3-3 formation, however I feel as though without fast, skillful wingers, it can be tough to make it effective. I especially think this, as our plan always seems to be to get the ball up to Hanson, and the other 2 players, playing out wide, seem to be out of range of Hanson's knock on's more often than not. So what I would like to see, is us play a bit more of a narrow formation up top, possibly a 4-3-1-2, with Ogbu playing just behind Green and Hanson, I think this would be much more effective, as I have heard many fans say that Green is best played through the middle, and would be there to receive the ball from Hanson when it is played up to him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
geir
August 22, 2019, 12:59pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9
The team from my home town, Rosenborg, have played 4-3-3 for years and years now. I totally agree with you in that you need wingers who are quick and skillful to make it an effective tactic. The best football Rosenborg have played in this system has been when the wingers have been up for it.
I think that Jolley is on to something with this system this season. We do have some quick (and fairly skillful) players that can make this work for us. Worth trying a bit more before scrapping it!

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 11
TheultimateMariner
August 22, 2019, 1:06pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from geir
The team from my home town, Rosenborg, have played 4-3-3 for years and years now. I totally agree with you in that you need wingers who are quick and skillful to make it an effective tactic. The best football Rosenborg have played in this system has been when the wingers have been up for it.
I think that Jolley is on to something with this system this season. We do have some quick (and fairly skillful) players that can make this work for us. Worth trying a bit more before scrapping it!

I agree with you there, I feel as though we could have the players to utilise it well, I think Wright and Vernam are the sort of players who we need, someone to run at the opponent and just get into the box, because once that ball is in the box, anything can happen!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 11
Croxton
August 22, 2019, 1:21pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,924
Gold Stars: 31
With Hewitt restored to right back and Wright able to forage on either flank we have more chance of feeding crosses into the frontmen. Ogbu has shown that he can speed up the transition from midfield with quick feet. Vernam similar. Just feel that we have to mix it up a bit particularly after conceding!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
TheultimateMariner
August 22, 2019, 1:30pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from Croxton
With Hewitt restored to right back and Wright able to forage on either flank we have more chance of feeding crosses into the frontmen. Ogbu has shown that he can speed up the transition from midfield with quick feet. Vernam similar. Just feel that we have to mix it up a bit particularly after conceding!

I do believe this will be the season that Wright breaks through, I think he will be a great player for us, and will cause defenders lots of problems.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
golfer
August 22, 2019, 8:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,358
Gold Stars: 111
Can we sign those 2 wingers from Rosenborg there aren't any for sale in England.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
geir
August 22, 2019, 11:35pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from golfer
Can we sign those 2 wingers from Rosenborg there aren't any for sale in England.

I think you can have at least one of them - probably being released soon. But I have to warn you that he (Helland) is a bit injury prone, and would probably be out for most of the time after meeting some of the big defenders of League Two.

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
Jarmo.Is.God
August 23, 2019, 8:17am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Ogbu and Green have done well IMO, so wouldn't like to change it, but Vernam and Wright are exactly the type of players that would work well...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 23, 2019, 8:48am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +22 / -4
Approval: +7,430
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Ogbu and Green have done well IMO, so wouldn't like to change it, but Vernam and Wright are exactly the type of players that would work well...

Don’t think any town fan would disagree that the first four league games have seen all those selected make some kind of positive contribution and all have given 100% which we would expect but don’t always get. We now have a centre forward who is excellent in the air and I can think of two real occasions in my time watching town when we have had a similar strength, Tees in 71/72 and Jones in 2005/6 but on each occasion we also had good width and pace up front to both create opportunities and feed off flick ons/knock downs. This was done through Brace, Gauden & Lewis back in the seventies and Reddy, Cohen under Slade.

In Vernam and Wright we have two very pacy players and I believe we would all like to see one of these start the game on Saturday to see if it does provide at worst a plan b but hopefully a more attractive and effective option.

What I did notice in both home games is how many more players we are getting in the box when crosses come in and whilst Hewitt looks better at right back I noticed he was excellent at getting up and available for crosses. If Hendrie has a weakness at this level it is, IMO, the fact he often delays his delivery into the box and checks back allowing defenders to get organised. Ring has some good skills on the ball but appears to lack the required pace and energy to be the full back Hanson needs on that side of the field.

Gibson and Hendrie May help solve that problem and another midfield addition and a few tweaks going forward may give us the improvements needed. Also agree with the comments that players are still getting to know each other’s game, preferences and capabilities so another four or five games perhaps before we can really judge what we have.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
golfer
August 23, 2019, 3:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,358
Gold Stars: 111
I think the team he put out on Tuesday was the best barring the  fact that in hindsight Whitehouse could have been given a break considering he was absent all last season. I would keep Hewitt in midfield as I don't feel that you can put Hendrie on the left as he is clearly one footed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Formation

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.