Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (Doncaster)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 337 Guests

Just Back (Doncaster)

This thread currently has 7,931 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
ivanosandwich
August 14, 2019, 9:08am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,470
Gold Stars: 17
I thought Hewitt did well in midfield, won plenty of balls and kept the it moving, definitely an option if required.

Pre match I heard JT suggesting that Luke Waterfall was all but signed, "just trying to agree on the bonus", were his words.

I looked at Shrewsbury's match report and although he started, he was substituted due to injury after 6 minutes, when they were already 2-0 down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 26
headingly_mariner
August 14, 2019, 9:14am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from RichMariner
Seems to me that Ogbu is the sort of player that will get the support of the fans in a good team that’s performing well, but in a team that’s scrapping against relegation he’d probably get hammered!

Nah he’s actually really good. I was worried how we would cope if Hanson got injured, but Ogbu could easily lead the line. Don’t think he’ll score many goals but his holding up of the ball and link up play is fantastic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 26
mariner91
August 14, 2019, 9:17am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,637
Gold Stars: 261
Really pleased that Vernam has had some good reviews from last night. I know he can be anonymous at times but when he's on it he's got skill, pace and a directness which is really dangerous. He's still young, if he could develop some consistency he'd be an excellent player for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 26
monkeyboy
August 14, 2019, 9:45am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Ogbu looks like one of the very few players we have that can put that killer pass in when in the final third, he did it saturday and last night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 26
mimma
August 14, 2019, 10:24am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
Ogbu reminds me of Keith Alexander because of his unpridictability.  You just don't know what he is going to do and has that ability to stretch out a leg and nick the ball round defenders. He can even fall over and still beat a man just like big Keef could!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 26
headingly_mariner
August 14, 2019, 10:31am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from mariner91
Really pleased that Vernam has had some good reviews from last night. I know he can be anonymous at times but when he's on it he's got skill, pace and a directness which is really dangerous. He's still young, if he could develop some consistency he'd be an excellent player for us.

Thing with him is you need to get him the ball, we didn’t do it enough last season. This 433 will really suit his game, he’s the one in our squad that can really make things happen, as he gets fitter I think he’ll be starting regularly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 26
Hagrid
August 14, 2019, 11:08am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,391
Gold Stars: 534
Think vernam was quite quiet last night tbh. Same with wright but we didnt get the ball wide enough, played more centrally using moses’s uniqueness
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 26
Maringer
August 14, 2019, 11:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
Ogbu did well in general but was also a little frustrating as he wasted a couple of opportunities to put a player away on goal through poor passes. Can't complain too much, however, as he caused the Donny defence problems with his unorthodox style and got the pass right for the goal. Hopefully, he'll settle and make more of these passes stick. Might be a divisive player, however as a bloke sitting a couple of seats away from groaned, 'No, not him' when he received the ball from Cook but then soon shut up as the return pass was put away!

I was a little disappointed with Gibson who looked a good bit off the pace. He's strong in the air, but do wonder whether he'll be able to get fit enough to be a starter considering the medical problems he's suffered.

I wasn't overly enamoured with Hewitt in midfield and thought he was a bit anonymous there. Much happier to see him at full-back.

Vernam did OK in fits and starts but wasn't really involved enough but was another who understandably didn't look fully fit and sharp.

Regarding Waterfall, I was told that he's agreed a deal with us but the sticking point is he's trying to get a higher pay-off from Shrewsbury before leaving. Whether this is right or not, I'm not sure, but we certainly need another central defender at the club sooner rather than later.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 26
joe56
August 14, 2019, 11:32am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from mimma
Just back... from the pub!

Enjoyed it again tonight. They had a lot of the ball, played lovely football, but got nowhere with it. They looked dangerous, but weren't. We defended all over the pitch, put some good moves of ourselves. Macca made his usual worldly just after we scored. The goal itself was all about Cook. He won the ball halfway in our half and drove at their defence, played it out wide to Ogbu. He played it back to Cook on the edge of the box and beat the keeper. Everyone put in a shift. Ogbu is going to be a Town cult hero. He is so unpredictable, but also skill full with it. He is a joy to watch. The defence played really well, Wright in midfield was all over the place as was all the others. All in all, we played really well against a good footballing side. Bring on FGR next Saturday.

UTM

I agree. On the evidence of Ogbu’s performances with Sirius, there’s a lot more to come yet. He might just become a Town legend in the long run. I can’t wait to see his first goal celebration in front of the Pontoon! Once it’s clear beyond reasonable doubt that he’s made the transition to the EFL, I think we need to extend his contract, or he’ll be snatched away from us at the end of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 26
mimma
August 14, 2019, 11:33am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
I think that we are overstating Ogbus passing ability. A couple of times he passed first time but players didn't read him. The more he plays and players around him get use to his style, I think his passing and movement will improve.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 26
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (Doncaster)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.