Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Breakout season?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 376 Guests

Breakout season?

This thread currently has 5,205 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
AussieMariner
July 25, 2019, 9:21am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Heisenberg

Let's just assume all of them, play it safe, we don't want to get in trouble here.

Quite right. No stereotyping on this site.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 21
diehardmariner
July 25, 2019, 11:03am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,612
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from sam gy
Was a shame that Buckley was injured for the last part of last season as i think we'd have seen him get a few appearances like some of the other graduates.

Anyone know his best position? Thought he was a forward/number 10 type player but from what i can see he's been playing midfield or wide in pre-season.

Couple of years ago he was playing for the youth mainly in a wide role with instruction to cut inside.  I wouldn't say quite as obvious as someone like say Scott Neilson.  But you get the idea, a bit of a licence to roam and influence things with perhaps a little bit of relaxation on his defensive duties. What helped is that the lad he had at full-back behind was excellent.  I forget his name but he was one of the lads who got his debut in the Check-a-trade farce trophy.  Was actually surprised he didn't get a contract.  On one occasion I saw him play it was as a striker but dropping off a bit.  Looked more comfortable on the wing to be honest and at that point looked too lightweight to operate as a striker.

Last few times I've seen Buckley he's played central midfield and has bulked up a bit, this was I believe the concern with him.  He's got a lot of natural skill and technique but on a couple of occasions he did go into hiding a bit after a rough challenge.  When I saw him in the second half against Clee Town he was more than holding his own in those stakes.  Difficult to say on one half but he looked to have cut a lot of the fancy stuff out of his game too and rather look to be more effective and productive than flashy.  

Wouldn't be surprised to see him involved at various parts of the season.  His versatility will help no doubt but I think there's a fair degree of talent that means he's deserving of that chance too.

It genuinely is really positive and encouraging to see all these young lads come through.  I've said before that I'm in no doubt Jolley is having to turn to them (and has turned to them) because of budget constraints, but I think the vast majority would have got their chance regardless of the budget because they're good enough.

Private Message
Reply: 21 - 21
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Breakout season?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.