Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 1st signing today??
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 239 Guests

1st signing today??

This thread currently has 6,651 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
June 10, 2019, 6:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from The Yard Dog

Look at Jamille Matt's return for Newport last season, I bet the Newport fans were a bit underwhelmed when they checkout Matt's scoring record, when he sign for them. Look at the season he just had, the best since his days at Fleetwood.
It's the manager job, to get the best out of him, if Matt can do a Matt for us, I will be happy.
I will wait to see him play for town, before passing judgment on him.

Normally we have all the other positions covered first, before we get a striker.  At less he will have a full pre-season to get ready for the new season.

Apparnetly we are going for it, this season.

Wecome Matt to GTFC and the Thefishy.

UTM

Going for it?

Without upsetting the Fenty clan too much, what is that based on?

Is it having a slightly higher budget, fewer players but of better quality, or outside investment?

If we are going for it, wouldn't it be better to advise the fans before season ticket sales go through the floor?
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
billynomates
June 10, 2019, 6:05pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: -14

Going for it?

Is it having a slightly higher budget, fewer players but of better quality, or outside investment?

If we are going for it, wouldn't it be better to advise the fans before season ticket sales go through the floor?

This is a bit of a catch 22 for the club I would have thought, On one hand the fans would love the club to say they are chucking loads of cash at the budget but the flip side player agents will hold out for more money for their players as the club has publicly said they want to spend cash,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
Mendonca1995
June 10, 2019, 6:46pm
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
Imagine if both cook and Devitt signed also, now that would be a good start to the summer signings 👍

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
Davec
June 10, 2019, 6:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from Mendonca1995
Imagine if both cook and Devitt signed also, now that would be a good start to the summer signings 👍

But neither of them will sign.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
lew chaterleys lover
June 10, 2019, 6:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from billynomates

This is a bit of a catch 22 for the club I would have thought, On one hand the fans would love the club to say they are chucking loads of cash at the budget but the flip side player agents will hold out for more money for their players as the club has publicly said they want to spend cash,

Yes I thought that as I posted it, but I have no confidence whatever that what Fenty may call "going for it" will have too many agents salivating.  
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
forza ivano
June 10, 2019, 7:09pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,173
Gold Stars: 265

Going for it?

Repeated Facebook rumours about a takeover with several posters consistently adamant that it's happening. How reliable those posters are is another matter.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
The Yard Dog
June 10, 2019, 7:17pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,498
Gold Stars: 74

Going for it?

Based on this

New Grimsby Town signing Matt Green is ambitious about the Sky Bet League Two 2019-20 season at Blundell Park.
Club News Green Becomes First Summer Signing 4 Hours ago

The 32-year-old striker, who left Salford City at the weekend, signed a two-year deal with Michael Jolley’s side earlier today.

And Green, who has scored 126 goals in 407 career league appearances, is excited about life with the Mariners.

Speaking in his first interview as a Grimsby Town player, exclusively on iFollow Mariners, he said: “It feels great to be here. It’s a big club – you realise that as soon as you walk in through the door.

“The amount of history and success the club has had over a long period of time.

“It’s great for me to be able to come here and play back in the Football League, and hopefully add some quality to the team.

“It’s a brilliant, fantastic Football League club, and it’s a good team to be a part of.

Matt_Green_Sign.JPG

“I like to play for clubs that are highly ambitious because I am myself, so I like to go somewhere that is fighting for promotion or a cup run.

“If I can, that’s what I want to do – you want as much silverware as you can get as a player, so you can look back at it one day with a big smile on your face.

“It’s about getting as much success as you can as a player, and football clubs who are willing to invest on the pitch on a Saturday, they usually go on and do things, so I can’t wait to get started!

“I’m sure there are going to be plenty of new faces coming in as well, and there are also lads who have done really well here over the last few seasons.

“I’m looking forward to being a part of that, and getting to know them all.”

And Green revealed that Town manager Jolley’s ambition, hunger, and determination made the move to the Mariners even more appealing and attractive.

He said: “He’s got a lot of experience, and he’s a good manager, and it’s something that you always want to be a part of.

“He came across really well, he’s done a brilliant job over the last two years, and he’s done a lot of research on me, and he really wanted me to come into the club.

[/b]“He said ‘This year we’re going to have a go, we’re going to go for it this season!’[b]/

“It’s all about trying to get as much success as you can as a player – especially if the manager is telling you that they’re going for it this season.

jolley_exeter.png

“And he said we wants to bring in five or six new players who are going to give us a certain amount of quality week in week out consistently on a Saturday.

“He’s done a great job over the last two seasons, and speaking to people who know him – they’ve all said that he’s a genuine, really nice guy to work for.

“So it all just seemed a really good situation and, with it being so close to my home and my two children, it worked out good.”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
Poojah
June 10, 2019, 7:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,485
Gold Stars: 1,500
To be honest, I read Green’s comments as a product of good media training. That’s not necessarily a criticism of our intent, it just reads as if he’s trying a little hard to say all the right things. Time will tell, and I think it’s a signing that’s difficult to gauge without knowing the full context of it.

If he’s here as a relatively safe, low cost replacement for Wes Thomas then it’s probably a decent signing. If he’s going to be a top earner and this is intended as a bit of a marquee signing then it’s arguably a little underwhelming. Which end of the spectrum it is we don’t really know yet.

It’s a signing you can easily spin a couple of different ways. Either he’s an ageing lower league journeyman on the back of an unspectacular, money-grabbing stint in non-league or he’s a proven League Two goal scorer who adds experience to a generally young squad.

There’s a degree of truth in both statements so ultimately how it all pans out is anyone’s guess. There’s a long summer ahead so I’ll withhold any judgement for now. At the very least, the cogs are in motion now...

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
lew chaterleys lover
June 10, 2019, 7:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from The Yard Dog

Based on this

New Grimsby Town signing Matt Green is ambitious about the Sky Bet League Two 2019-20 season at Blundell Park.
Club News Green Becomes First Summer Signing 4 Hours ago

The 32-year-old striker, who left Salford City at the weekend, signed a two-year deal with Michael Jolley’s side earlier today.

And Green, who has scored 126 goals in 407 career league appearances, is excited about life with the Mariners.

Speaking in his first interview as a Grimsby Town player, exclusively on iFollow Mariners, he said: “It feels great to be here. It’s a big club – you realise that as soon as you walk in through the door.

“The amount of history and success the club has had over a long period of time.

“It’s great for me to be able to come here and play back in the Football League, and hopefully add some quality to the team.

“It’s a brilliant, fantastic Football League club, and it’s a good team to be a part of.

Matt_Green_Sign.JPG

“I like to play for clubs that are highly ambitious because I am myself, so I like to go somewhere that is fighting for promotion or a cup run.

“If I can, that’s what I want to do – you want as much silverware as you can get as a player, so you can look back at it one day with a big smile on your face.

“It’s about getting as much success as you can as a player, and football clubs who are willing to invest on the pitch on a Saturday, they usually go on and do things, so I can’t wait to get started!

“I’m sure there are going to be plenty of new faces coming in as well, and there are also lads who have done really well here over the last few seasons.

“I’m looking forward to being a part of that, and getting to know them all.”

And Green revealed that Town manager Jolley’s ambition, hunger, and determination made the move to the Mariners even more appealing and attractive.

He said: “He’s got a lot of experience, and he’s a good manager, and it’s something that you always want to be a part of.

“He came across really well, he’s done a brilliant job over the last two years, and he’s done a lot of research on me, and he really wanted me to come into the club.

[/b]“He said ‘This year we’re going to have a go, we’re going to go for it this season!’[b]/

“It’s all about trying to get as much success as you can as a player – especially if the manager is telling you that they’re going for it this season.

jolley_exeter.png

“And he said we wants to bring in five or six new players who are going to give us a certain amount of quality week in week out consistently on a Saturday.

“He’s done a great job over the last two seasons, and speaking to people who know him – they’ve all said that he’s a genuine, really nice guy to work for.

“So it all just seemed a really good situation and, with it being so close to my home and my two children, it worked out good.”

Fair enough, but I have read that a thousand times - every time we sign a player in fact!

Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
lew chaterleys lover
June 10, 2019, 7:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

Repeated Facebook rumours about a takeover with several posters consistently adamant that it's happening. How reliable those posters are is another matter.....

If that happens I will renew my season ticket -  as long as Fenty is not involved in any way.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 1st signing today??

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.