4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
April 14, 2019, 8:18am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,709
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Interesting to read that RHJ played central midfield and he acquitted himself well. Is there an outfield position this guy can't play in!?

Try him up front. Can't have a much less effective return than our current forwards!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 32
Davec
April 14, 2019, 9:10am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,442
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from Les Brechin

Try him up front. Can't have a much less effective return than our current forwards!

He played up front for Braintree!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 32
Maringer
April 14, 2019, 10:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,505
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Every team needs a Kevin Jobling.

If memory serves, Jobling played almost all of his games for us at full-back (and mostly on the left?). He was originally a midfielder who Buckley converted to full-back and who filled in on rare occasions in left midfield and even rarer occasions in the middle. If he made fewer than 95% of his appearances for us at full-back, I'd be surprised.

I expect to see RHJ as a regular squad member next season because, as you note, he's versatile. However, I don't think he's really good enough in any position where I've seen him play to be a nailed on first choice there. At least not if we're hoping to be challenging for promotion. I'd be happy to be proven wrong but fear I won't be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 32
arryarryarry
April 14, 2019, 10:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
[quote=1133]From the kitchen..

Watched it online, and we are not a bad team, just missing a few links

/quote]

It must have been a different view from your kitchen to the seats at the Globe Arena from where I watched it.

I thought we did OK first half and looked the better team creating a few chances, second half we looked lost at times without looking dangerous at all.

In fact I thought it looked like two poor teams who if I remember rightly only had one shot on target each in the second half being the goals.

I would suggest that both teams need drastic improvement if they are not going to be in another struggle next season.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 32
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 14, 2019, 6:22pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Maringer

If memory serves, Jobling played almost all of his games for us at full-back (and mostly on the left?). He was originally a midfielder who Buckley converted to full-back and who filled in on rare occasions in left midfield and even rarer occasions in the middle. If he made fewer than 95% of his appearances for us at full-back, I'd be surprised.

I expect to see RHJ as a regular squad member next season because, as you note, he's versatile. However, I don't think he's really good enough in any position where I've seen him play to be a nailed on first choice there. At least not if we're hoping to be challenging for promotion. I'd be happy to be proven wrong but fear I won't be.

Kevin was just a fill-in midfielder for a long time in the 90s but he became a pretty good left back after Paul Agnew went to West Brom.

I was pleased to see Vernam scored. To be honest I haven't rated him as a natural born striker but he could play up front if he could last the pace. Personally I don't go along with this being young and developing argument with him, he looks to me like he could do it if he really set his mind to it. A full 90 and a late goal kind of proves that.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 32
golfer
April 14, 2019, 8:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,428
Gold Stars: 116
I'd forget about having 2 attacking fullbacks because we can't play that way. Iwould try to play with 2 wingers again and one of those would be RHJ. Surely it's worth a try-it can't be any worse than the dross that's being served up.   4-2-4  Please
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 32
Maringer
April 15, 2019, 9:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,505
Gold Stars: 185
Vernam has certainly lacked stamina this season which is the reason I expect he has disappeared out of so many games. However, I think this may be his first season for some time where he hasn't done himself a serious injury?

If so, hopefully, he can continue to improve and begin to be more of a threat for the whole 90 minutes. Still not sure where his best position will be, however. Probably attacking the defence after collecting the ball between the centre circle and the penalty area. It's where he has done his best work for us. I don't see him leading the line, however.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 32
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 15, 2019, 10:25am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Maringer
Vernam has certainly lacked stamina this season which is the reason I expect he has disappeared out of so many games. However, I think this may be his first season for some time where he hasn't done himself a serious injury?

If so, hopefully, he can continue to improve and begin to be more of a threat for the whole 90 minutes. Still not sure where his best position will be, however. Probably attacking the defence after collecting the ball between the centre circle and the penalty area. It's where he has done his best work for us. I don't see him leading the line, however.

No neither do I. He is good when he runs from deep but he seems less effective out wide. I would like to see him tried in a front two alongside a proper line leader but wonder if he would score enough to justify it. I wouldn't expect him to be as prolific as Podge but the two strikers would still have to get around 25-30 between them to make it worthwhile even allowing for the usual "better to share out the goals" stuff.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 32
Son of Cod
April 15, 2019, 2:29pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Better late than never...

I didn't think Ring was as bad as some are suggesting. He made some really good tackles, he just seems a bit like he's not settled and hasn't  got used to his centre backs yet. Cardwell had a decent game, challenged well for headers and won more than he has previously done. Dennis has got a better touch than most in the division, but I'm not convinced by him - however he did really well with his assist to get ball right into Vernam's path - I thought for sure he was gonna shoot and the keeper was gonna save it. Woolford gave the ball away in some fairly key areas on a few occasions which is slightly worrying.

Not a classic, definitely two sides who look safe in the lower part of the table but worth the trip for the late equaliser.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 32
oochiad
April 15, 2019, 6:18pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,719
Gold Stars: 28
Yes I’ll agree Cardwell won plenty of headers but directed them where?? When he got the ball to his feet he was truly woeful. I’m not one for having ago at our players but I really do not see a productive goal scoring machine in him. I really hope I’m wrong. UTM
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 32
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.