horsforthmariner
March 24, 2019, 2:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,610
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Gaffer58

With the way that all tackles are deemed a foul by most referees than a strong tackling midfielder in today's game is not as important. Herd about 5 minutes of the Walsall v Barnsley game yesterday lunch time and the commentary mentioned how good it wad to have a game where tackles were allowed, not like the premier, so why do the referees authorities and the FA accept different outcomes for the same tackles depending on which league there from?

I think the answer is money. If a player at our level get's injured it's a relatively small amount of money a club loses out on (in some cases it is actually beneficially ). If Salah's career was ended that might cost Liverpool £200 million.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
March 24, 2019, 3:07pm
Guest User
I thought Welsh was brought in to be the tough tackling midfielder. First game he made a couple of great tackles but I thought he was way off the pace and he got slower!
Reply: 21 - 29
Gaffer58
March 24, 2019, 4:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
Also in the later rounds of the FA Cup, it may be a premier team versus a league 1/2 team, with a premier ref in charge quite a lot of the league 1/2 teams find they are penalised for tackles are called as fouls, that in their league games would be ok.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
mariners1
March 24, 2019, 5:34pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +201
Gold Stars: 1
Couldn’t have two more contrasting nil-nil matches from last week to this. Good game of football this one with the ball majority played on the deck by both teams IMO.
Two teams playing 5-3-2 and u can see I think how town can continue to progress. Ball control and retention from the forwards was the main difference I think. Personally I think we can see the significant progression we have made in many respects and if we continue to make further steps forward with this system we could match Bury’s standard by this time next season....and look at where they are in the table. Patience - frustrating tho it is - is a virtue!
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
KingstonMariner
March 24, 2019, 6:23pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Gaffer58

With the way that all tackles are deemed a foul by most referees than a strong tackling midfielder in today's game is not as important. Herd about 5 minutes of the Walsall v Barnsley game yesterday lunch time and the commentary mentioned how good it wad to have a game where tackles were allowed, not like the premier, so why do the referees authorities and the FA accept different outcomes for the same tackles depending on which league there from?

Having refs who award freekicks for the slightest contact in the Premier division is probably a good thing for the ntional team. Gets them used to the standards they can expect internationally.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
moosey_club
March 24, 2019, 6:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from mariners1
Couldn’t have two more contrasting nil-nil matches from last week to this. Good game of football this one with the ball majority played on the deck by both teams IMO.
Two teams playing 5-3-2 and u can see I think how town can continue to progress. Ball control and retention from the forwards was the main difference I think. Personally I think we can see the significant progression we have made in many respects and if we continue to make further steps forward with this system we could match Bury’s standard by this time next season....and look at where they are in the table. Patience - frustrating tho it is - is a virtue!
UTM

Yes, must say it was refreshing to watch two teams who played to feet and virtually no gamesmanship in the game at all.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
Eastendmariner
March 24, 2019, 10:10pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +940
Gold Stars: 22
enjoyed the game some good open play from us A little disappointed with Bury as thought they would stretch us in the channels bit more and be a little more threatening up front, Really thought after half Time their league position would  prove our undoing but it never came.

Happy with our overall performance and a well earned point

A good day out on the beach for me and my 8 yr old daughter and is really starting to enjoy her Town games again GREAT SHAME TRANS PENNINE MESSED UP ON THE WAY HME AND NEARLY LEFT US stranded at Donny but they laid on a people carrier to king x got hme at 02-40 am UTM

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
Jarmo.Is.God
March 25, 2019, 8:58am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Sorry if mentioned previously as not read it all, but some interesting comments on the Bury forum....

-----------
Interestingly, on the very, very delayed train home we met the Grimsby Town Assistant Manager who said he was glad when Adams went off, at that point we had put 6 crosses in from the right but only 2 from the left.
The Grimsby AM, Anthony Lambrick (who was manager at Woking when they beat us in the Cup) said a lot of his work was done on previous games videos and stats.  Part of their game plan was to pressurise O'Connell & Wharton but basically leave Thompson alone, the thinking being that Thompson released the ball slower and would keep the game narrower and so not allow us to get wide as often or as quick
-----------

Some saying our number 7 (hess) totally killed the game plan they had and made Mayor non existent

And mainly saying we defended well, but offered nothing going forward...

I felt Rose, and Vernam made a difference.. i've not spoke highly of Rose previously, and still made some strange decisions, but hes young and learning, and could do well.

I am a big fan of Vernam, and although Thomas has been very good, he seemed to offer more in his 20 mins, than Thomas did all game.
I feel with a run of games, Vernam will easily get in double figures next season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
forza ivano
March 25, 2019, 10:00am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,165
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Sorry if mentioned previously as not read it all, but some interesting comments on the Bury forum....

-----------
Interestingly, on the very, very delayed train home we met the Grimsby Town Assistant Manager who said he was glad when Adams went off, at that point we had put 6 crosses in from the right but only 2 from the left.
The Grimsby AM, Anthony Lambrick (who was manager at Woking when they beat us in the Cup) said a lot of his work was done on previous games videos and stats.  Part of their game plan was to pressurise O'Connell & Wharton but basically leave Thompson alone, the thinking being that Thompson released the ball slower and would keep the game narrower and so not allow us to get wide as often or as quick
-----------

Some saying our number 7 (hess) totally killed the game plan they had and made Mayor non existent

And mainly saying we defended well, but offered nothing going forward...

I felt Rose, and Vernam made a difference.. i've not spoke highly of Rose previously, and still made some strange decisions, but hes young and learning, and could do well.

I am a big fan of Vernam, and although Thomas has been very good, he seemed to offer more in his 20 mins, than Thomas did all game.
I feel with a run of games, Vernam will easily get in double figures next season

he loves that plan of leaving the least able opposition player to have the most possession doesn't he (see his video about how he master minded the shock win v Malmo)? Works well though, as we saw at palace
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
KingstonMariner
March 25, 2019, 11:23pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from forza ivano

he loves that plan of leaving the least able opposition player to have the most possession doesn't he (see his video about how he master minded the shock win v Malmo)? Works well though, as we saw at palace

When we were in the Conference, often that would have been a difficult choice to make.   A lot of times when the opposition got the ball close to our box I was screaming at Town players not to tackle because more often than not at that level they would fluff the opportunity if you didn't give away a foul.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.