Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Skylon - Put Great back into Great Britain?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 194 Guests

Skylon - Put Great back into Great Britain?

This thread currently has 733 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Skrill
November 19, 2018, 7:09pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +6 / -6
Approval: +604
Skylon is the British project to build the first ever human spaceplane. It is unique because of its SABRE engines that change fuel type mid-flight. If Reaction Engines Ltd can pull this off, as they do have increased funding and new sites, they could create a new age of British inventions and economic prosperity. The Miles M.52 springs to mind....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOqInOe5g8k

[tweet]316134373063806976[/tweet]
Logged Offline
Private Message
psgmariner
November 20, 2018, 8:17am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Will these be ready for Christmas? I'm stuck trying to find something my dad would like.

Private Message
Reply: 1 - 6
moosey_club
November 20, 2018, 10:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Similar vein ...... i see the Bloodhound project to break the Land Speed Record has recently gone into administration after 10 plus years of planning and fund raising.....the administrators are looking for just another £25m to fund the project through to completion.....its a long way from the classic men in shed style british inventors.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 6
Maringer
November 20, 2018, 11:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
Skylon has interesting technology but I'd be amazed if it ever comes to fruition. A vast amount of expenditure required to get the project off the ground (pun intended) and it has been decades in the design already. I don't see investors queueing up to spend billions on the off chance that getting stuff into orbit might become cheaper in years an years time.

SpaceX seem to be the ones in the driving seat reducing costs with tried and tested rocket technology, so unfortunately, I just can't see Skylon being a goer.

I'd personally prefer to see some serious government investment in power generation (preferably advanced nuclear), battery technology, electric motors, robotics etc.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 6
KingstonMariner
November 20, 2018, 11:18pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Maringer
Skylon has interesting technology but I'd be amazed if it ever comes to fruition. A vast amount of expenditure required to get the project off the ground (pun intended) and it has been decades in the design already. I don't see investors queueing up to spend billions on the off chance that getting stuff into orbit might become cheaper in years an years time.

SpaceX seem to be the ones in the driving seat reducing costs with tried and tested rocket technology, so unfortunately, I just can't see Skylon being a goer. And for that reason, I'm out you might add.

I'd personally prefer to see some serious government investment in power generation (preferably advanced nuclear), battery technology, electric motors, robotics etc.

I was watching that Brian Cox the other night. He was filming at the 'lab' trying to develop fission power in the US. I couldn't help but think that whoever develops that first is going to be in the driving seat.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 6
Maringer
November 21, 2018, 10:35am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
Ahem. I think you mean 'fusion'.  

Which one was Cox at? The Lockheed skunkworks one? They are reportedly closer than most attempts from what I've read but there does seem to be a lot of hot air about it all and fusion looks to be a very long way off to me still. ITER, the one we've been spending money on for decades, is still decades away from producing anything useful. Despite the vast amounts of money thrown at fusion research, I reckon the better choice is more modern fission designs.

It's a tragedy that the country which was the first to develop nuclear power is now completely unable to build our own reactors and so is reliant on putting vast amounts of money into the pockets of the French and Chinese governments who have continued to develop the technology. And the EPR selected is massively over-complicated and over-expensive as well.

Lots of companies working on small modular reactors but in my view, there are much better theoretical designs, not least Molten Salt Reactors which aren't pressurised which means the risk of an explosion is practically nil. The Yanks developed them back in the 1960s/1970s then dropped the technology in favour of Fast Breeder reactors - which don't work reliably enough. Liquid sodium to cool a reactor? What a crazy idea!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 6
KingstonMariner
November 21, 2018, 9:26pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Maringer
Ahem. I think you mean 'fusion'.  

Which one was Cox at? The Lockheed skunkworks one? They are reportedly closer than most attempts from what I've read but there does seem to be a lot of hot air about it all and fusion looks to be a very long way off to me still. ITER, the one we've been spending money on for decades, is still decades away from producing anything useful. Despite the vast amounts of money thrown at fusion research, I reckon the better choice is more modern fission designs.

It's a tragedy that the country which was the first to develop nuclear power is now completely unable to build our own reactors and so is reliant on putting vast amounts of money into the pockets of the French and Chinese governments who have continued to develop the technology. And the EPR selected is massively over-complicated and over-expensive as well.

Lots of companies working on small modular reactors but in my view, there are much better theoretical designs, not least Molten Salt Reactors which aren't pressurised which means the risk of an explosion is practically nil. The Yanks developed them back in the 1960s/1970s then dropped the technology in favour of Fast Breeder reactors - which don't work reliably enough. Liquid sodium to cool a reactor? What a crazy idea!

Yeah I do mean that. I think.

Can't remember where it was. Somewhere hot. Bloody big place.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Skylon - Put Great back into Great Britain?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.