dapperz fun pub
October 5, 2018, 7:52am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from nightrider
Surprised he's not improved sides of his game but either way one of the best keepers we've had in 30 years surely? He's not playing at championship level granted but he's as good as the likes of Crichton?
We could have somebody like Anthony Williams back.....

Wouldn’t put him in the same breath as batch coyne beasant ..  showed his character when hendo appeared and sulked rather than head down , in a era of shite one of the better ones admittedly but just still to many basic mistakes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 47
golfer
October 5, 2018, 8:40am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,428
Gold Stars: 116
I just can't understand all these comments against Macca. Must be boredom-you can tell  "The Bodyguard " has finished on the telly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 47
dapperz fun pub
October 5, 2018, 9:08am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from golfer
I just can't understand all these comments against Macca. Must be boredom-you can tell  "The Bodyguard " has finished on the telly.

Or perhaps it’s just that some on here have a understanding of the game and are prepared to tell it how it is .. just a thought like
PB below is spot on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 47
PB
October 5, 2018, 9:18am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +256
Gold Stars: 3

Macca does seem to divide opinion, but I'd make the wider point that because he main weaknesses are not controlling and commanding situations close to goal, his lack of authority and decisiveness affects others in front of him. The knock-on effect is low confidence and a panic prone group.    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 47
MarinerRob
October 5, 2018, 9:34am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted Text
showed his character when hendo appeared and sulked rather than head down

He also said, I believe, that he didn't need a goal keeping coach as he was good enough without Steve Croudson.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 47
joe56
October 5, 2018, 9:43am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Meza
I'd like to see Russell make the kind of save Macca made towards the end of last season... I think not.  

Have you ever seen Russell play? Clearly not.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 47
1mickylyons
October 5, 2018, 10:53am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from golfer

They are no way comments against Macca they are pretty unanimous stating he is a decent league 2 goalkeeper BUT he has flaws (which is why he is a league 2 goalkeeper) and we are questioning could we do better ala Henderson in on loan.To reiterate Macca does not let you down he is a dependable 7/10 most weeks BUT an 8/10 goalkeeper would make a huge difference to our points total.It`s such fine margins these days and this is a clear example.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 47
golfer
October 5, 2018, 11:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,428
Gold Stars: 116
What you are saying is that it is best to have 8/10 instead of 7/10-that's pretty obvious and must apply to any position so goodbye rest of team then as not many even get a seven.In this last couple of weeks we have had a go at the fullbacks, centre halves,Walsh,central midfield ,wingers ,strikers,Jolly,J.S.F. and now after our first win in yonks we are now saying we want a better goalkeeper. Far more important problems need sorting before demoting Macca just after signing a 3 year contract. I bet everyone in the team is now brimming with confidence after that win unless they read the Fishy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 47
1mickylyons
October 5, 2018, 11:18am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from golfer
What you are saying is that it is best to have 8/10 instead of 7/10-that's pretty obvious and must apply to any position so goodbye rest of team then as not many even get a seven.In this last couple of weeks we have had a go at the fullbacks, centre halves,Walsh,central midfield ,wingers ,strikers,Jolly,J.S.F. and now after our first win in yonks we are now saying we want a better goalkeeper. Far more important problems need sorting before demoting Macca just after signing a 3 year contract. I bet everyone in the team is now brimming with confidence after that win unless they read the Fishy.

Anyone in a team 3rd bottom of League 2 should be striving to play far better than they have so far fella.That`s not just a GTFC fan`s viewpoint is it,I mean who the fcuk expects to lose at home to sh1t like Morecambe? Anyway as you point out we won Tuesday it`s a new slate unbeaten in October so let`s just carry than on .Any Town player`s reading this you remind me so much of Barca at their best just keep it going lad`s and the goals will flow I will settle for 5-6 tomorrow and you can half that - goals column.UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 47
Maringer
October 5, 2018, 11:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
Bear in mind that in our most recent relegation season Nick Colgan was our first choice keeper with Tommy Forecast and one or two loanees also appearing as we dropped out of the League.

McKeown may have flaws to his game, but there are plenty or worse keepers out there.

Russell always struck me as a good keeper and had more blinders playing against us than he did stinkers. However, he's signed up as a back up keeper so I wouldn't expect to see him playing barring a catastrophic loss or form or injury for McKeown.

N.B. 'Macca' should only be the nickname for players called McDermott if you're a GTFC fan.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Macca

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.