pen penfras
September 30, 2018, 5:32pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -133
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Good to hear from the board spokesman - can you tell me why a director told a friend of mine that John Askey was offered the job?

Oh, I see. Somebody else was offered the job before most people on here ever knew who Michael Jolley was. And that is your answer to how Fenty is affecting things on the pitch. Sack the board!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 50
MuddyWaters
September 30, 2018, 5:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,284
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from pen penfras

Oh, I see. Somebody else was offered the job before most people on here ever knew who Michael Jolley was. And that is your answer to how Fenty is affecting things on the pitch. Sack the board!

I've also spoken to Paul Hurst since he left, strange how we've now got two fitness coaches when he wasn't allowed one.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 50
Marinerz93
September 30, 2018, 5:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from pen penfras

I'd say Slade and Buckley were old heads as well as nostalgic appointments. Both had many years experience at this level and above.

1 - It isn't working very well for Crewe.
2 - I think we did have a plan. A young up and coming manager that values young players and gives them opportunities that we can hopefully develop and build on or sell for a profit. This is actually very similar to the "Crewe model".
The club have clearly bought into MJ's approach given the number of 2+ year contracts that have been handed out.

As you are in the know, how does our budget compare to other clubs, ie are we in the top quarter or as claimed in other threads bottom quarter.

What decisions is Fenty making that are actually affecting things on the pitch? The club set a budget and the manager chooses how to spend it. The board don't interfere with player selection or recruitment, whenever that happens, the manager is always quick to put it in the press to take blame away from himself and there hasn't been any manager that has ever suggested this. We don't make much money or pay off director loans each year, so the budget can't be that bad. They hired the manager that 1, everybody wanted and 2, kept us in the league last season.

As you are in the know, how does our budget compare to other clubs, ie are we in the top quarter or as claimed in other threads bottom quarter.

No manager lets an employee set about their work without the right tools or equipment, Fenty has sat on his hands when we've all known since the start of the season we need wingers with pace and a striker. Were is Fenty's input to the manager, otherwise Jolley is just set up to fail.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 50
barralad
September 30, 2018, 6:02pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Good to hear from the board spokesman - can you tell me why a director told a friend of mine that John Askey was offered the job?

Why when someone presents (and quite well IMO) an alternative point of view do you and others have to resort to the stance that the poster must be close to the board/Fenty's relative/an actual board member? It stifles debate.
As for your point about John Askey I fail to see what you are getting at. It's clear to me that the poster meant the fans by "everyone" and whilst that might be a bit of an exaggeration it's not that far from the reaction on here is it? It's hardly news that someone turns down a job ....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 50
Cloudy
September 30, 2018, 6:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from barralad

Why when someone presents (and quite well IMO) an alternative point of view do you and others have to resort to the stance that the poster must be close to the board/Fenty's relative/an actual board member? It stifles debate.
As for your point about John Askey I fail to see what you are getting at. It's clear to me that the poster meant the fans by "everyone" and whilst that might be a bit of an exaggeration it's not that far from the reaction on here is it? It's hardly news that someone turns down a job ....

There is a quote on Twitter that last March Gary Holt says he was offered the Town job but a day later it all went quiet before Jolley was appointed. Just ‘seems’ a lack of professionalism that will get around and lesson our chances of getting a man moving forward.

Back to the original question about how Fenty and the board cannot effect things on the pitch I tend to disagree. They set, or at least should set, the vibe, the ethos, the dna of the club. A positive, vibrant leadership which soaks every pore of the club can and needs to get to the playing side too. Of course Fenty cannot pass, head or shoot on a Saturday but he is responsible as he is the head of the business. All these years of under achieving would mean he would have been long gone in any other business.
If Jolley goes then the next incumbent will have the same depressing environment to work within.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 50
Ipswin
September 30, 2018, 6:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Cloudy

If Jolley goes then the next incumbent will have the same depressing environment to work within.

Almost certainly but hopefully the next man will have some experience and therefore some idea what he's supposed to be doing and will be able to work within it

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 50
MuddyWaters
September 30, 2018, 6:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,284
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from barralad

Err.....because they are!
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 50
Cloudy
September 30, 2018, 7:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Ipswin

Almost certainly but hopefully the next man will have some experience and therefore some idea what he's supposed to be doing and will be able to work within it

Like a Russel Slade?
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 50
Ipswin
September 30, 2018, 7:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Cloudy

Like a Russel Slade?

That's the boy! The man Jolley is modelling himself on

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 50
Northbank Mariner
September 30, 2018, 7:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,526
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from Cloudy

Like a Russel Slade?

I never want that man within.an airplane flight of this club ever again....
Tell you who'd I've a sniff at, Russ Wilcox, maybe he did flop at york but certainly took scunny to another level...
Whoever we bring in, this job is a poisoned chalice..
In any job you need good support from your managers, taking it that the board are the clubs manager there's less support in a snakes spine!!...yes, I know,they dont have one!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just a point regarding the management

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.