This thread currently has 6,249 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Grumps
September 5, 2018, 2:07pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +357
Enjoyed the evening. We were not so good first half and their formation meant they also had a spare in midfield but town sorted it out in the second half and played some good football. Very impressed with Wes Thomas and think he will score a few for us. Mitch Rose was excellent and never stopped running and put some intelligent balls through to the forwards.Back line looked quite solid most of the time but was a little disappointed with some of Famewo passes as they seemed to go astray quite a bit especially in the first half. Some of the inter passing from midfielders and forwards was very encouraging.
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 16
Mariner55
September 5, 2018, 2:11pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +237
I watched the game on iFollow - and have to say, it was not bad at all: the pictures were fine, with no freezing or distortion.  A bit odd to have Radio Nottingham commentary, maybe something to do with just being able to use one radio station for the commentary, so they go for the away team.  I thought Town were v poor in the first half, making Notts Co look like a decent League 1 side.  Totally different in second half: we passed well and attacked with pace.  Vernam really needs to be playing more because League Two defences do not like that kind of pace, especially cutting in from the wing.  Wes Thomas was good and in the brief time he was on for, Akheem Rose looked exciting.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 16
TheGoalKipper
September 5, 2018, 2:59pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
Quoted from Mariner55
I watched the game on iFollow - and have to say, it was not bad at all: the pictures were fine, with no freezing or distortion.  A bit odd to have Radio Nottingham commentary, maybe something to do with just being able to use one radio station for the commentary, so they go for the away team.  I thought Town were v poor in the first half, making Notts Co look like a decent League 1 side.  Totally different in second half: we passed well and attacked with pace.  Vernam really needs to be playing more because League Two defences do not like that kind of pace, especially cutting in from the wing.
  Wes Thomas was good and in the brief time he was on for, Akheem Rose looked exciting.

I watched on Ifollow also but pictures were poor and i had a lot of freezing unlike last time so i guess i was unlucky with my area internet.

Anyway i saw enough to agree with this assesment, First half was painfull. Defenders have to defend so dont have a choice in terms of initiative but our outfield players were made to look like we didn't know how to play properly.
second half it seemed MJ had told them and we looked a decent team.
Im a fan of Akheem Rose and see him having a big future. He's a bit raw at the moment but just needs MJ to get him to understand what he has to do and he will prosper.

I repeat what ive said before about Wes Thomas, He's the real deal and just what we need, He will score goals, make them for others, hold the ball up etc. If he plays all season with half decent support we wont be relegated. The FA have cost us dearly by suspending him for 2 games to cover their own officials shortcomings.

Hopefully MJ can get them all to gelll asap as this is a very trying time for us supporters tioll it comes good.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 16
Ipswin
September 5, 2018, 3:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Garth
Agree with Mighty, whatever the hate surrounding this competition I thoroughly enjoyed the evening.

Stand outs for me we're Vernon,Rose, Thomas and Russel,

Actually had some decent atmosphere in the Ponny tonight whipped up by the few and it seemed to transfer itself to the team.

Should give confidence to the team for a win on Saturday, good to see we have two strong keepers and a tactically astute manager.

Two yellow cards to the County bench,what was that all about lol

Bloody hell we haven't resigned him have we?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 16
friskneymariner
September 5, 2018, 6:01pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
My take on last night 1st half we were awful Hendrie very lightweight Clifton misplacing passes consistently Russell very commanding of his area.
2nd half much improved Clifton played higher which suited him,significant improvement when Hooper came off and we stopped hoofing it and started playing it wide.
I hope you took that on board Mr Jolley.
Thomas has bags of pace as does Akeem Rose.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 16
Mrs Doyle
September 5, 2018, 8:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Just post this it might not sit comfortably with everyone but showed me that the team can function without the twelfth man and win too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmYSujFtS50&feature=youtu.be
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 16
Ipswin
September 5, 2018, 8:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
I don't know which is worse. Macca keeping goal somewhere between his post and the corner flag or Russell trying to dribble the ball past an opposition forward rather than hoofing it upfield.

Playing it out from the back is one thing but he was lucky to get away with it last night

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 16
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.