November 1, 2018, 9:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,240
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from chaos33
Aren't we!

Well. we've waited long enough. Let's hope the people who are now looking to put some energy into this are more successful than GTFC & Extreme.
Private Message
Reply: 770 - 789
MarinerWY
November 2, 2018, 2:19am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
when PP was cited as a goer I posted in support of Freemo and got slammed for being an unrealistic naysayer.  Never thought pp would amount to anything other than a soulless out of town identikit stadium so I'm glad it's dead in the water. Gtfc deserve something with character, that recognises heritage and revitalised the town.
Private Message
Reply: 771 - 789
Townee82
November 2, 2018, 7:40am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +87
Every time the new stadium issue crops up the powers that be begin with a out pouring of enthusiasm instilling some hope then all of the sudden the waters become mudded followed by a smoke and mirrors campaign then it moves on to another location  leaveing the previous site as though it never occurred ,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 772 - 789
Maringer
November 2, 2018, 8:32am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,505
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
I’d rather gamble on the new stadium being part of the fremmo regeneration plan and it failing than having to go to some tin pot shack on PP for the next 100 years .

Any new stadium, if eventually built, will be a 'tin pot shack' of a design to some degree as its the cheapest option and we're not rolling in cash. No swooping arches or fancy cladding for the likes of an impoverished lower league club. It wouldn't make sense. However, that doesn't matter, as long as the stadium is fit for purpose, of a suitable size (possibly with potential for expansion to some degree) and the interior and access is well-designed with good viewing lines. Most importantly, the site needs to have leisure and community facilities originally mooted as part of the Peaks Parkway design. Having all weather pitches available isn't likely to be a goer due to the relative lack of space, but we need something else for the wider community to be able to use and not just a stadium and car park crammed in there.

I don't think the original Peaks Parkway plan was too bad as it looked a reasonable location to me. I certainly wouldn't describe it as out of town because it was pretty close for most fans in Grimsby and Cleethorpes. I can't help feel that some of the vitriol heading the way of PP is due to the individuals at the club who were backing it to the hilt and seem reluctant to let it go. If the deal had been signed and PP was being built in a few years, I'd have been happy with it.

That doesn't mean that a Freeman Street site wouldn't be better if actually feasible because anything which can reverse the decline of a large chunk of the town centre has to be good for everyone in N.E. Lincs. Just worth remembering that there is a reason why so few new stadia are built in the centre of urban areas and instead use green field or brown field sites. That reason is the sheer expense and difficulty of such a project. I'm still very sceptical that the numbers will ever add up with a Freeman Street site, but then I thought the same about PP. Would be nice to be proven incorrect one way or the other.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 773 - 789
golfer
November 2, 2018, 9:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,428
Gold Stars: 116
Good post. The cost of Freemo will be prohibitive.  It's o.k. ducks farting in the bath BUT-----
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 774 - 789
IlkleyMariner
November 2, 2018, 9:37am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
It's amazing that after nearly 800 posts on this we have not had any proper explanation from the club.
For the decision to be announced in a hidden way in the notification of the accounts is simply not good enough.
I am both a shareholder, customer and supporter of the club/business and had this been a proper business I would be calling for the resignation of the Chairman if we had one.

John and Co. If you can't do the job properly please step aside and let someone do it who has the skills and experience to make a decent fist of the job.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 775 - 789
louth_in_the_south
November 2, 2018, 9:50am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,682
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Maringer

Any new stadium, if eventually built, will be a 'tin pot shack' of a design to some degree as its the cheapest option and we're not rolling in cash. No swooping arches or fancy cladding for the likes of an impoverished lower league club. It wouldn't make sense. However, that doesn't matter, as long as the stadium is fit for purpose, of a suitable size (possibly with potential for expansion to some degree) and the interior and access is well-designed with good viewing lines. Most importantly, the site needs to have leisure and community facilities originally mooted as part of the Peaks Parkway design. Having all weather pitches available isn't likely to be a goer due to the relative lack of space, but we need something else for the wider community to be able to use and not just a stadium and car park crammed in there.

I don't think the original Peaks Parkway plan was too bad as it looked a reasonable location to me. I certainly wouldn't describe it as out of town because it was pretty close for most fans in Grimsby and Cleethorpes. I can't help feel that some of the vitriol heading the way of PP is due to the individuals at the club who were backing it to the hilt and seem reluctant to let it go. If the deal had been signed and PP was being built in a few years, I'd have been happy with it.

That doesn't mean that a Freeman Street site wouldn't be better if actually feasible because anything which can reverse the decline of a large chunk of the town centre has to be good for everyone in N.E. Lincs. Just worth remembering that there is a reason why so few new stadia are built in the centre of urban areas and instead use green field or brown field sites. That reason is the sheer expense and difficulty of such a project. I'm still very sceptical that the numbers will ever add up with a Freeman Street site, but then I thought the same about PP. Would be nice to be proven incorrect one way or the other.

Yeah I agree in the main with this . I’m not expecting some fancy stadium design, just something that’s not just rolled off the same ikea shelf that delivers a decent atmosphere. 2 ends with safe standing terraces would make me happy

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 776 - 789
Maringer
November 2, 2018, 10:18am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

Yeah I agree in the main with this . I’m not expecting some fancy stadium design, just something that’s not just rolled off the same ikea shelf that delivers a decent atmosphere. 2 ends with safe standing terraces would make me happy

Yeah, I'd agree about the standing part.

I personally prefer to sit and don't like watching from behind the goal either, but there is no doubt that you get a better atmosphere with terracing and a lot of fans prefer it. As long as there are plenty of seats available in the side stands there's an option for everyone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 777 - 789
Maringer
November 2, 2018, 10:31am
Barley Wine Drinker
Question is, will the council allow a development in Freemo now it has been rated as number 1 in the country?

https://www.theguardian.com/so.....-in-uk-by-rsph-study

More seriously, a good indication why regeneration would be a boon for that area.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 778 - 789
Townee82
November 2, 2018, 10:58am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +87
Quoted from Maringer
Question is, will the council allow a development in Freemo now it has been rated as number 1 in the country?

https://www.theguardian.com/so.....-in-uk-by-rsph-study

More seriously, a good indication why regeneration would be a boon for that area.

They have made a error there , it relates to Victoria st not Freemo the Guardian obviously chose the wrong pictures .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 779 - 789
79 Pages Prev ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Stadium Rumour

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.