1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Zmariner
August 5, 2018, 10:57am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
I will not spout the usual it’s only 3 points crap as the first game is a big one.
The formation was a shambles and we made them their midfield look like Croatia but Mr J will he smart enough to work this out and I have every confidence.
I expect Dixon and Woolford our next week and midfield to be better matched up.
Crystal clear we need a striker and some creativity
Personally although it hurt I have not lost faith at all. You learn from mistakes and we made a lots in one game.
I remain positive and fully expect this to be sorted but it may take 6 games and it is only 3 points......... utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mighty_Mariner
August 5, 2018, 11:26am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Agree totally.... I full expect Jolly and Limbrick to have learned a great deal from yesterday's performance and adjust accordingly.

As much as all love Harry Clifton because he's one of our own... The kid is not a full back. We need to stick with players in their natural position like RHJ and Fox. Jolley said it himself that Clifton makes it hard to him not to select him die to his work ethic etc... That's great but we shouldn't shoehorn players into positions just to get them in the starting XI.... they should be in due to merit in their NATURAL position.

Add a good striker and left wing back to the team, play Hessenthaler and Vernham to offer energy and creativity and stop the long punts upfield and I've no doubt we can have a very successful season.

Jolley and Limbrick are both very experienced coaches and will have identified a lot of areas to improve yesterday and won't make the same mistakes twice.

I would also put Famewo in for Collins, they're bit left footers so offer balance on that side but for me Famewo beings pace and energy to that position so the Town back 3 could afford to push a few yards further upfield which will help flood the centre and offer more options for a pass.... Yes it leaves us vulnerable to teams getting in behind and breaking on us but Famewo's pace could nulify that.

In terms of the strikers, the we could have had Harry Kane up top yesterday and he'd have still struggled with no service. We either need a striker that is very good at holding the ball up (neither Cook or Hooper are good at this) allowing others to join in the play, or we need to play the ball into to space to allow them to run on to and but the opposition defence under pressure.

We have some pots tally very creative players in Clifton, Cook and Vernham and we need to learn quickly how to set the team up that gets the best out of them and stops us being incredibly predictable.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 2
caistormariner
August 5, 2018, 11:33am

Always think in Black and White
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +62
Like al lot of us I arrived with hop and optimism  and was very dissappwith what I saw the formation was wrong as we were overrun all game in midfield and we did not bring the ball out from the back but played a long ball all day to a team with a huge keeper and a big centre back who won everything. When we chanğed to a 4 4 2 late on we looked better but too late.  But it was the first game and I have confidence that the management team will see what was wrong and can change things.   We have to be patient and get behind the team.
I understand people being very upset at what we saw yesterday and we Hopefully won't see 4 worse goals all season but let's give them all time to gel and settle and keep criticism  to football and not personal attacks.  We are better than that.

UtM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 2
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A new day

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.