This thread currently has 3,375 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Cloudy
June 27, 2018, 7:30am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Jevons scored that goal at Anfield but i can never forget the laces incident st Tranmere!
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 33
diehardmariner
June 27, 2018, 8:19am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,612
Gold Stars: 538
Can only be jogging Danny B, surely?

Butterfield was ridiculously under-rated when he was here.  Very, very good in countless positions and it was only because Macca was here that he never made himself a permanent fixture at right-back.  Can't quite remember the season but there was a period when Macca was injured and Butterfield was so good in the 15 or so games that he played there, Macca really struggled to win his spot back.  I think in the end Butterfield was moved to elsewhere in the team to accomodate Macca.  The season we stayed up under Groves when Andy Todd was brought in, Boulding found his goalscoring touch etc.  It was Butterfield who was the most important player in that side for me, he was the one who created so many of the chances that were taken and gave some balance to the midfield that had been lacking for so long.  For whatever reason he never really won the fans over, which is a shame because he was a fantastic player as evidenced by the career he went on to have.  He also sums up how badly run the club have been in the last god knows how many years.  £1million offer from Crystal Palace rejected in the summer of 2001.  Contracts run down that year and joins Palace on a Bosman the summer of 2002, but it's ok because we'll get a fee due to his age....Nope, we failed to offer him a contract that at least matched his previous one - therefore negating any claim to a fee.   Couldn't make it up.

Rob Jones was a one-man colossus in his second season.  He went from Bambi on ice to the most composed and calm defender you'll ever see.  Of the side that got decimated that summer, he and Mildenhall were the two players that we failed to replace and missed the most.  

Jevons, that goal at Anfield aside, never really cut it in the Championship here.  He always just looked a yard too slow to do the business up front.  I suppose in his defence, he was partnered with someone of similar physical attributes and limited experience for large spells when paired with Jonny Rowan.  Treat like absolute crap by the club just because they were stupid enough to give him a large contract.  Came out of the cold and was our only shining light in 04/05.  Left wing suited him much more here (although his record at Yeovil and others suggested he was more than capable of playing in a central role) where he could cut inside.  
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 33
horsforthmariner
June 27, 2018, 10:13am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,622
Gold Stars: 9
butterfield
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 33
KingstonMariner
June 27, 2018, 10:41am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from diehardmariner
Can only be jogging Danny B, surely?

£1million offer from Crystal Palace rejected in the summer of 2001.  Contracts run down that year and joins Palace on a Bosman the summer of 2002, but it's ok because we'll get a fee due to his age....Nope, we failed to offer him a contract that at least matched his previous one - therefore negating any claim to a fee.   Couldn't make it up.  

I'd forgotten that. That £1m could have come in handy with the big hole left by the ITV Digital collapse. Seems member ups have been happening behind the scenes for quite a long time.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Best team of the Fishy era: No. 12

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.