Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 10,000th post - the XI i've most enjoyed watching
Users Browsing Forum
Baidu Spider and 247 Guests

10,000th post - the XI i've most enjoyed watching

This thread currently has 3,722 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Abdul19
May 31, 2018, 8:14pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216
Beasant
Townsend
Todd
Oster
Donovan
Pouton
Connell
Hearn
Nielsen
Reddy
Lump

Sub: Abdul

Obviously they're playing a formation from 1922.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 33
MuddyWaters
May 31, 2018, 8:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,240
Gold Stars: 235
Nigel Batch

John McDermott
Kev Moore (much missed)
Mark Lever
Tony Gallimore

Stuart Brace
Joe Waters
Paul Groves
Bob Cumming

Tony Rees
Trev Whymark

Some of these are picked for their skill, some for their ability to entertain and some for their whole-hearted approach and Whymark quite simply for being the most technically gifted footballer I've seen in a Town shirt.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
Posh Harry
May 31, 2018, 8:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,361
Gold Stars: 35
Top thread forza. Made me think of the good times.

For my team:

GK: Beasant. Similar to Forza, although not here for long I saw him a couple of times and the guy was a class above. A good goalkeeper will be a good shot stopper, command his area but just as importantly be in control of defence, organising them, communicating with them and giving them confidence. An organised and confident defence means that the keeper will ultimately have less to do because less gets through to him. Beasant was heads and shoulders above any other keeper I have seen play for Town, and as an ex keeper (of a poor standard), he did everything I would expect a top quality keeper to do.

RB: No brainier for me, got to be Macca. Always willing to get forward, a terrier at the back. Rarely got beaten in the air which is remarkable considering his height. The thing is when you saw Macca’s name on the team sheet there was a calmness about both the team and the crowd. If he was out injured (thankfully not often) it was almost a ‘sh it we’re in trouble today’ and he was ‘only’ a right back.

LB: Most difficult choice of all for me. Had a good think and kept coming back to the same name when considering all the options. Paul Agnew. Just so solid. Hard working, gave 100% every game, and you just felt like that side of the pitch was in control if he was playing. Sure we have had better attacking full backs, but he still loved to try and get forward. Not spectacular but just enjoyed watching him play knowing that those in front of him had the freedom to get on with their jobs further up the pitch.

CB: Futch. Pure quality as both a player and a man. Watching him beat much quicker players to the ball time after time and watching the opposition striker getting more and frustrated was a joy to watch. Just an absolute genius of a defender.

CB: Not a choice I would expect many others to make but for me Andy Tilson. I remember watching him away to Southend on a Friday night when we won 2-0. Th most complete individual performance I have ever seen by a Town defender. Oozed class, fantastic temperament and read the game superbly. I honestly thought I had seen a performance by a future England international and that he would go on to much bigger things. He obviously went on to ‘bigger’ clubs, but never really made it any further. Not the first time I have been wrong but I thought he was great.

The midfield have a common theme as they all played together during the time that we played the best football I ever saw us play.

LM: Diddy Gilbert. Great shot, great crosser, looked like a barrel. Not quick but not slow, happy to put his foot in linked up with Rees et al superbly. Loved him.

CM: Shaun Cunnington. Blood and thunder. Box to box. Loved a tackle, loved a foul, loved to wind up his opponents. Somebody we have been crying out for in the last 10 years or so. Didn’t score many but chipped in. Another 100% guy and you knew that no one would get the better of him.

CM: Cockers. Cut him and he would bleed black and white, what more does a supporter of a club like ours look for. Not the most skilful, but gave more than 100% (although I accept that is not possible), similar to his midfield partner, box to box, and scored a fair few goals. The kind of player a fan could fall in love with.

RM: Well if I have the other 3 then I couldn’t miss out Gary Childs. Another one grabbed from obscurity and played above his station under the guidance of our best ever (imo, come on M.J. you have potential) manager, Sir Alan Buckley. I’m sure that AB said to this 4sum in midfield, ‘you 2 work hard and kick people and give it to them 2’. ‘You 2 little fellas on the wing, get the ball, run at your full back take him on and get a cross in or play a one two with the striker. If it doesn’t work keep doing it till it bloody does’. Remember him scoring absolute screamers at Huddersfield (Leeds Road) and Peterborough. Every time he got the ball he was going to try something. Didn’t always work but when it did it was bloody brilliant.

STR: Super Clive. He’s most natural goalscorer I have ever seen play for Town and I have seen wilko, Lund, drinks, Podge etc. Just had that instinct and apart from injuries would have had a more celebrated career than he had. Top guy to, doesn’t matter where he played, no one has a bad word about him.

STR: Garry Birtles. Again, just so classy, solid at the back, great hold up player when up front and scored great goals. Fantastic professional, and great example to any youngster who played with him. Also apparently loved a few beers. What’s not to like.

As we know, it’s all about opinions but if nothing else, it’s made me think about good times past. Let’s hope there are good times in the future.

UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
Les Brechin
May 31, 2018, 9:50pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,709
Gold Stars: 174
I'm quite surprised after all these posts that no one has mentioned Tony Ford.

He used to be an absolute joy to watch in his younger days.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 33
KingstonMariner
May 31, 2018, 11:47pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Les Brechin

Just shows what riches we've had for Fordy to be missed out.

I haven't pitched in with an eleven because every time I think about it, someone comes up with another name and i think, 'ooh, that's a good shout' and I can't make my mind up.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
forza ivano
June 1, 2018, 9:40am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,169
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Just shows what riches we've had for Fordy to be missed out.

I haven't pitched in with an eleven because every time I think about it, someone comes up with another name and i think, 'ooh, that's a good shout' and I can't make my mind up.

i found it best just to go with your immediate thought - if you have to think about them, then it suggests they haven't given you the joy or that never to be forgotten moment
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 33
Tommy
June 1, 2018, 10:39am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
GK - D. Coyne - just incredible shot stopping and reaction saves at a good level of football

LB - T. Gallimore - not as good a player as Croft but enjoyed seeing him do the same "feint to punt it down the line, but cut inside" trick on every right winger every week.
CB - P. Futcher - smooth operator. Play out from the back.
CB - A. Todd - as above.
RB - J. Crowe - Thought he was good for us and was disappointed we didn't keep hold of him. Exciting bombing forward at pace from full back and played everywhere for us I think.

LM - K. Black - classy player with a great left foot. Didn't have the pace that fans crave nowadays but great quality and brain - a real Buckley player.
CM - A. Pouton - just a crowd-pleaser.
CM - P. Bolland - Only for the one season but what a vital part of the 05-06 team. What a goal at Vale Park.
RM - J. Oster - his spell back on loan he was just class and probably as good in that spell (despite being in a relegated side) as any individual I've seen.

ST - B. Allen - formed great partnership with Boulding that kept us up one year, linked play brilliantly, really intelligent player. Also played as part of a front 3 to great effect with Livvo and D.Nielson when the Dane first arrived.
ST - M. Reddy - Just an exciting player to watch and but for injuries, could have played for us earlier when we were at a higher level.

As with the thread, not the best XI (no Croft/Burnett/Mendonca etc who would be in my best X!) but an alternate take and just some that I enjoyed watching.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 33
barralad
June 1, 2018, 7:58pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Les Brechin

The only game I played for my school team was against Wintringham. I got picked because they needed someone who was quick to keep up with Tony Ford (who was a year younger). I didn't.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 33
KingstonMariner
June 1, 2018, 11:58pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from forza ivano

i found it best just to go with your immediate thought - if you have to think about them, then it suggests they haven't given you the joy or that never to be forgotten moment

You're probably right. I overthink things. So here goes....

Batch (not necessarily the best but entertaining)
Macca (shear delight to watch defending without tackling)  Futch (pure bliss) Nichol (imbued confidence, seemed to produce incredible headers against every through ball) Croft ('best two-footed player outside the Premiership')
Ford (Billy Whizz run cross/goal, repeat) Waters (Futchian class, nuff said, still remembered by Cork taxi drivers) Groves (delightful goals like WHam away/Villa at home, smooth) Gilbert (cross pitch tennis with Childs, explosive goals like injury time at Luton away 94)
Drinkell (bossed opposition defences) Mendonca (pass, mendonca, goal, sensible haircut)

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 33
promotion plaice
June 2, 2018, 12:24am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from lukeo
I've just noticed I joined over 10 years ago! (April 2008!)

My team would be fimiliar to yours except I'd have to have Steve kabba, Michael reddy, Disley and Coyne on my teamsheet somewhere... I'm slightly too young to remember the likes of Cummings though

It's Cumming  FFS    

Drinkall was pretty good as well  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 10,000th post - the XI i've most enjoyed watching

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.