This thread currently has 1,064 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
jock dock tower
April 30, 2018, 11:08am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
The last ten minutes of the match for me on Saturday encapsulated everything that is great about football, and Grimsby Town FC.

Waiting anxiously for news to come through from afar that the referee had blown for full time only to suffer utter dejection and despair to realise it was now 1-1 and likely to go down to the last game of the season. Three minutes later and cue bedlam. I wasn't 250 miles then I was in a virtual BP celebrating with all the other Town fans. At the other end of the ground the County fans were going through the exact opposite emotions to ours with each turn and twist of the game. Football can be a cruel lover, but it can also be the giver of all things. I'm lucky, or unlucky as the case may be, in having watched Town for 55 years now (still a Junior in terms of others on here I know)

To enjoy the highs you have to have experienced the lows, and as a club we have had more of those than I care to remember. Relegations, re-election to the Football League back in 1969-70, abject performances in those dark faraway days of 1960s Division 4 life. Managers who took this club to the brink of disaster, and sometimes disaster itself, Mike Lyons, Mike Newell, Neil Woods (although I do not blame him personally for that) have all seen fans reaching for the anti depressants. With those days though do come some times when being a Town fan can just seem extraordinarily sublime.

Lawrie McMenemy's 1971-2 Division 4 Championship season - my first of going to watch Town away regularly as I was now a wage earner at 17. Being in huge away followings all over the UK and feeling like the member O the North everywhere we went. John Newman, George Kerr, David Booth and the wonderful players we had back then, many of whom were home grown and gave you a real affinity to YOUR club. Alan Buckley. What more could possibly be said? I often hark back to the away FAC tie at Middlesborough as our finest achievement under him, when we went to a club sitting fifth in the top division and we beat them, comfortably in the end, little Grimsby Town from the bottom division. Harry Haddocks at Wimbledon, who could ever forget that? Winning at Anfield with THAT goal, winning at Everton in 1984-5 with THAT goal from Wilko, the year Everton were First Division champions. Wembley two seasons back.

It's an emotional roller coaster being a true football fan, not just at BP, but all over the UK, although we must feel it more than most, eh? Forget the prawn sandwich eating brigade, the glory hunters at Manchester City and Chlsea - I remember us gubbing City 4-0 at BP when they couldn't live with us, just as I remember us winning at Chelsea in the mid 1980s, coming back from 2-0 down at halftime to win 3-2. Anyone else remember when we sat proudly atop the old Division Two in 1982-3 aftwer winning 4-1 away at Middlesborough to have six wins and a draw from our opening seven games, scoring seventeen goals along the way?

It's so important to remember the bad times, the good times - for most clubs - don't exist without them. It's how you use the knowledge gained from the bad times to move onwards and upwards, and more than anything else this is my sincere hope for next season rather than falling into the same trap again. If John Fenty stays, give MJ free rein. Do not interfere. Paddy Hamilton didn't interfere with Lawrie McMenemy, and I genuinely think that if we get it right off the pitch from now until the start of next season the glory days might not be too far away as they were back then. UTFM.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
caistormariner
April 30, 2018, 11:27am

Always think in Black and White
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +62
Could not have said it better. I am 69 and have followed the Town since I was 6 and stood on a box in the old Barret Stand.  Like you I have seen some great days and some terrible dark days Burton being one of the worst when not only did we get relegated to the conference we let ourselves down very badly as fans although most of the trouble did not come from true supporters.Under Mr Jolley I can see a bright future if he is allowed to build his own team and who knows where it could all end

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 5
1mickylyons
April 30, 2018, 11:48am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
God how I hope you are right.UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 5
RonMariner
April 30, 2018, 4:04pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,668
Gold Stars: 226
Great post Jock

I have had some fantastic days at BP. The 1972 3-0 win against Exeter to claim the Championship. Thrashing Sheffield  United 4-0 in 1980 for the 3rd Division title. Brolly's demolition of Everton, JPK's winner against Spurs,  Cockerill smashing Exeter in 1991 to secure promotion to the Championship. Amazing victories against Chelsea, Man City, Wolves, countless others.

But  Saturday was right up there. Incredible atmosphere. Amazing attacking football. Gutting last minute equaliser to put us back at risk of relegation. Last gasp winner to secure survival. I think it was the way we went from dejection to elation is just three minutes that made the experience so intense.

I walked out of the stadium proud to be wearing the beloved shirt once again. So happy.

A special day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 5
Badger57
April 30, 2018, 4:21pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,896
Gold Stars: 30
Wouldn't have missed Saturday for the World, amazing day! 😁
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 5
moosey_club
April 30, 2018, 8:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from jock dock tower
. Football can be a cruel lover, .

fantastic phrasing

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 5
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The passion of the beautiful game

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.