1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
BottesfordMariner
January 22, 2018, 9:29pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
Jimmy Armfield passed away today at the age of 82 after battling cancer. He was part of England's World Cup winning squad of 1966.

He played his entire career at Blackpool (and was one of 2 'Pool players in that '66 squad). He was one of my Dad's (a Blackpool fan)  favourite players. Certainly a Legend in West Lancs.

I was too young to see him play but remember him as Leeds manager in the 70's leading them to the European Cup Final in 1975. He later did a lot of commentary work for BBC radio and i always enjoyed listening to him.

RIP Jimmy Armfield

Logged Offline
Private Message
KingstonMariner
January 22, 2018, 9:31pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Never saw him play but always spoke with authority and care for the game. RIP Jimmy.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 6
promotion plaice
January 22, 2018, 10:32pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188

I remember him well when he was the Leeds manager and listening to his BBC radio work.

England through and through and a true gentleman.

RIP Jimmy Armfield.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 6
EY Mariner
January 22, 2018, 10:37pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5
Such sad, but not unexpected, news today. Jimmy Armfield's was a voice of my childhood, someone who had the great skill of being able to speak with knowledge and authority in a manner that was also welcoming and accessible. I remember hearing him tell a story a few months ago about how he had been covering a Town game after he was asked to recruit an England manager to succeed Graham Taylor and asked fans outside the ground how they felt about Terry Venables being appointed. I can't imagine many people of his standing having the humility to ask fans what they thought. It says a lot about the man for me and English football is richer for his contribution.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 6
Abdul19
January 22, 2018, 10:55pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Before my day as a player but loved his work on radio 2/5. Interesting and insightful and always sounded like a real gentleman too.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 6
ex-merseymariner
January 23, 2018, 7:10am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,397
Gold Stars: 9
Fondly remember his knowledgeable analysis on the radio.  There are some decent articles on the bbc sport website paying tribute to him, one which recalls how he was England captain just before the 66 world cup.  
Rip

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 6
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 23, 2018, 7:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,502
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted in a BBC article as saying he recommended Terry Venables as England manager after questioning Grimsby fans on their opinion on his suitability when visiting BP as part of his radio commentary duties.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jimmy Armfield RIP

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.