HertsGTFC
November 21, 2017, 8:43am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from barralad

For a very large part of that 50 years we weren't "blessed" with Social Media. My first season was the 1968/69 re-election season and people really did vote with their feet.
As for toxicity surely your memory isn't so bad that you cannot remember Halifax away in 2015/16 when a thread which misrepresented what the manager said appeared on here? Or the atmosphere after Braintree at home in the play-offs when, 90 minutes from a Wembley appearance a director (Lee Mullen) had to go and remove a "Hurst Out" banner from the flyover and there were serious calls to have Hurst sacked before the second leg?
This football website which used to stand out head and shoulders over most others of the type (if not all) has become over the last couple of weeks a byword for what can only be described as mass hysteria. It is barely worth taking the trouble to start a new thread (unless of course it is anti-GTFC establishment). There cannot be anyone within the boundaries of North East Lincs (and well beyond that as it happens) who doesn't "get" that there is unrest about the way the club is heading. I doubt you will find one single Town fan who is remotely happy about not having seen a goal in the League at home since September 26th. I have a few health problems at the moment and couldn't make the game on Saturday but I can't exactly say that I was looking forward to the event!! I wouldn't dream of criticising people's right to express their views but the sustained misery is driving some pretty decent posters away. There is no humour on here anymore-not even gallows humour and without it the Fishy drops to the same level as those that we regularly poke fun at for me.
Next Tuesday with the Fans Forum represents the best possible chance to start building bridges. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that JF will "rig" the questions and even less that The Trust would allow it. If the situation is as bad as some think then McMenemy's should be packed to the rafters next Tuesday. At the risk of being lambasted (not that at the moment I'm really bothered) J.F. merits some credit for agreeing to take part in this event at a time when it would be so easy to hide away and pull up the drawbridge

Good post, hope your feeling better soon Ian.

On reflection my view is that JF and the board do need to start doing a bit more in the way of fan engagement, feels like we've lost sight of that, maybe the Trust can help with that kind of thing on top of all the stuff they do already. I have no real problem with JF or the rest of the directors but it does feel like they do need to "earn the right" again and by that I don't mean by pumping money in..

Re the manager, clearly a nice bloke who cares but has a bit to prove to demonstrate he's not past his best, personally I don't think he'll take us forward but I very much doubt we are going down as some predict. If we get lucky and bring in someone who knows where the back of the net is then maybe who knows. Change will ultimately need to come but now would be counter productive.

Re the atmosphere I think some posters on here and other social media sites need to understand they are just as much responsible for that as the non chairman, manager and team. "Keyboard warriors"? Maybe maybe not but clearly there are a number of people who insist on calling for change when they don't even go to games which I personally find a bit odd. Lots of talk recently about the club not deserving the support etc.. etc.. but actually that "support" from some supporters might not deserve a club at times. Some of the suggestions about "investors" buying out JF and fan take overs are in reality not going to happen.

The negativity (which at times I have been part of) does not appear to be adding anything so maybe its time for a bit of unity. I am far from happy with our lot on and off the park but at about 3pm today I will get in the car make the 300 mile round trip and travel up for the game then make the trip back in time for work tomorrow.

UTM!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 117
ginnywings
November 21, 2017, 9:01am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from barralad

For a very large part of that 50 years we weren't "blessed" with Social Media. My first season was the 1968/69 re-election season and people really did vote with their feet.
As for toxicity surely your memory isn't so bad that you cannot remember Halifax away in 2015/16 when a thread which misrepresented what the manager said appeared on here? Or the atmosphere after Braintree at home in the play-offs when, 90 minutes from a Wembley appearance a director (Lee Mullen) had to go and remove a "Hurst Out" banner from the flyover and there were serious calls to have Hurst sacked before the second leg?
This football website which used to stand out head and shoulders over most others of the type (if not all) has become over the last couple of weeks a byword for what can only be described as mass hysteria. It is barely worth taking the trouble to start a new thread (unless of course it is anti-GTFC establishment). There cannot be anyone within the boundaries of North East Lincs (and well beyond that as it happens) who doesn't "get" that there is unrest about the way the club is heading. I doubt you will find one single Town fan who is remotely happy about not having seen a goal in the League at home since September 26th. I have a few health problems at the moment and couldn't make the game on Saturday but I can't exactly say that I was looking forward to the event!! I wouldn't dream of criticising people's right to express their views but the sustained misery is driving some pretty decent posters away. There is no humour on here anymore-not even gallows humour and without it the Fishy drops to the same level as those that we regularly poke fun at for me.
Next Tuesday with the Fans Forum represents the best possible chance to start building bridges. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that JF will "rig" the questions and even less that The Trust would allow it. If the situation is as bad as some think then McMenemy's should be packed to the rafters next Tuesday. At the risk of being lambasted (not that at the moment I'm really bothered) J.F. merits some credit for agreeing to take part in this event at a time when it would be so easy to hide away and pull up the drawbridge

Very good post sir, though i disagree with elements of it. The word toxic keeps getting used but is it really toxic? No, i don't believe it is- i've seen toxic at BP and this isn't it. BP is more akin to a wake, where there is very little in the way of open and direct confrontation. I would say that apathy is the over-riding feeling around at the moment, i know it is with me. I have never been more bored and disillusioned than i am right now and i am someone who watched 99% of the non league years, hating every minute of it. I don't feel any connection with the club, the players, and especially the manager and if i hadn't bought a season ticket, i doubt i would be attending at all to be honest.

I actually think that social media dilutes the anger, because people now have an outlet they never used to have and don't have to wait for the next home game to come around for before they get a chance to vent.

As for the fans forum, i won't be attending that because as i said earlier, i'm past the point of caring personally and nothing that can be said will make me feel any different. I don't think that there is a chance to build bridges, because i feel there is not enough material left to build a bridge from. It will just be a load of talking heads, and the football, which is all i care about, will still be dire. It has been for the best part of 15 years, so i have no faith that any amount of talking is going to change that state of affairs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 117
dapperz fun pub
November 21, 2017, 9:10am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,020
Gold Stars: 84
[quote

Re the atmosphere I think some posters on here and other social media sites need to understand they are just as much responsible for that as the non chairman, manager and team. "Keyboard warriors"? Maybe maybe not but clearly there are a number of people who insist on calling for change when they don't even go to games which I personally find a bit odd. Lots of talk recently about the club not deserving the support etc.. etc.. but actually that "support" from some supporters might not deserve a club at times. Some of the suggestions about "investors" buying out JF and fan take overs are in reality not going to happen.

The negativity (which at times I have been part of) does not appear to be adding anything so maybe its time for a bit of unity. I am far from happy with our lot on and off the park but at about 3pm today I will get in the car make the 300 mile round trip and travel up for the game then make the trip back in time for work tomorrow.

UTM![/quote]

I sat 10 feet away from slade when we played lincoln a game they dominated in my opinion however in the second half we did have a ten min spell a good spell tbh I heard slade shout slow it down slow it down to Dixon who looked confused as it was obvious the momentum was with us and maybe the breakthrough was coming. The crowd was revved up and like Dixon could sense a goal maybe coming but no let’s slow the game down and play for a point.  It’s just not my idea of money well spent so my point being is don’t blame the fans as their the only good things about our club
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 117
1mickylyons
November 21, 2017, 9:18am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,389
Gold Stars: 56
barralad is in my opinion just about the most balanced of posters on here he calls things how he sees them but objectively. His latest post is another example and I maybe wrong but I get the impression he is doing a Fenty and calling out those who are demanding change.Well I am one of them and I will go next week BUT I genuinely believe I will be wasting my time and any real questions will be ignored.The reason for this is numerous times I have sent what I considered decent proposals to improve things at the Club to both Trust and board members and despite being assured these were being looked at never heard a thing.The last 15 years have been shockingly bad for supporters of GTFC and the Wembley appearances don`t paper over that due to the level we were playing at.The games moved on and sadly Grimsby haven't and what really grates me more than anything else in the last 15 years is the missed opportunity after the FGR victory at Wembley.Lincoln City have eclipsed us and are showing what we could/should have had a sold out home game week in week out with a mediocre league 2 side.The support was there it was galvanised and ready to back the Club to the hilt and then...............................
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 117
HertsGTFC
November 21, 2017, 9:26am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
[quote

UTM!

I sat 10 feet away from slade when we played lincoln a game they dominated in my opinion however in the second half we did have a ten min spell a good spell tbh I heard slade shout slow it down slow it down to Dixon who looked confused as it was obvious the momentum was with us and maybe the breakthrough was coming. The crowd was revved up and like Dixon could sense a goal maybe coming but no let’s slow the game down and play for a point.  It’s just not my idea of money well spent so my point being is don’t blame the fans as their the only good things about our club
[/quote]

I was not blaming the supporters but "some supporters" and "a number of people" (quotes from my post) are not getting behind the side or club and their "rhetoric" it generating a degree of negativity that actually at this point in time may only be confined to message boards but could easily spread like wild fire. Like I say I'm not happy about where we are on and off the park.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 117
Cloudy
November 21, 2017, 9:26am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
I have similar feelings to ginny in that I just dont care much anymore.

I will be there tonight but have little interest.

The call for the fans to reach out in the search of more unity is admirable but for me, it has been destroyed by JF. I see no chance of feeling any sympathy or admiration for the man who has driven a wedge between me and ( what i still consider) my club!

There is now little chance of reconciliation for me and after 50 years i honestly thing the 'marriage' is over.

I won't be going to watch Scunny or anywhere else. Not looking for sympathy  or an argument, just feel I am at the end which saddens me greatly.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 117
HertsGTFC
November 21, 2017, 9:40am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy
I have similar feelings to ginny in that I just dont care much anymore.

I will be there tonight but have little interest.

The call for the fans to reach out in the search of more unity is admirable but for me, it has been destroyed by JF. I see no chance of feeling any sympathy or admiration for the man who has driven a wedge between me and ( what i still consider) my club!

There is now little chance of reconciliation for me and after 50 years i honestly thing the 'marriage' is over.

I won't be going to watch Scunny or anywhere else. Not looking for sympathy  or an argument, just feel I am at the end which saddens me greatly.

Same that, after such a long time

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 117
TAGG
November 21, 2017, 9:53am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,939
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from barralad

I'll save you a seat on the front row for next Tuesday then Dappers...
At some point sooner rather than later the club and fans are going to have to re-engage otherwise the very thing we all want to avoid becomes more a probability than merely a possibility.

Tell that to ye mate Fenty

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 117
GrimRob
November 21, 2017, 9:56am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
Much maligned as the Fishy may be from some quarters, the directors do view the site and read the posts, even to the point of printing some of them out and keeping them. There can't be many clubs where that is the case, and where there is such a direct route to the gaze of the decision makers. They don't really need the trust to tell them questions like the one raised by the OP because doubtless they have read the topic for themselves and are perfectly aware that it is an issue that is being debated at length.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 58 - 117
barralad
November 21, 2017, 9:59am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,298
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from TAGG

Tell that to ye mate Fenty

Which part of "The club and fans" are you struggling with?

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 117
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Question for the Trust

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.