moosey_club
October 29, 2017, 7:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Stew0_0
I understand that the band were brought in to bring some more atmosphere to the game and encourage the crowd but it was just a racket which extinguished any kind of atmosphere.

Had they done the drum beats to 'black and white army' or the 'fish' song or trumpeted to songs for fans to sing to this would help more rather than drown out the little atmosphere us fams are providing at the moment.

With little to cheer about on the pitch we need to provide something to get fans back on side

Utm

i dont think its fair to say it was a racket....it was just unwelcome.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 51
ginnywings
October 29, 2017, 7:24pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548

Of course you can. It is whether you want to join in or not. Everybody I was with or next to in the pontoon seemed to be enjoying it - especially the kids.

The club can't win really - do nothing and it is like a library and try something and people don't like it. Yes we do get atmosphere when everything is going well and we are scoring goals for fun but we are not - hence the band was a good idea.

Ok then, i will re-phrase. You can manufacture an atmosphere, but it will be just that- manufactured.

A proper spontaneous atmosphere will only come about if there is a buzz about the club and team. You cannot manufacture that and you never will, even with all the drums and trumpets you can muster. The football is lifeless and the crowd reflect that. Even the near full house against Lincoln was tepid.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 51
lew chaterleys lover
October 29, 2017, 7:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ginnywings

Ok then, i will re-phrase. You can manufacture an atmosphere, but it will be just that- manufactured.

A proper spontaneous atmosphere will only come about if there is a buzz about the club and team. You cannot manufacture that and you never will, even with all the drums and trumpets you can muster. The football is lifeless and the crowd reflect that. Even the near full house against Lincoln was tepid.

The band at the Lincoln game would have been a good idea then.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 51
newarkmariner
October 29, 2017, 8:04pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / -4
Approval: +751
Gold Stars: 43
the band was god damned awful, was just a bloody racket from start to finish ,no wonder some fans were getting annoyed and nearly kicked off in that corner,i left with a bloody headache and I was about 10 rows in front of them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 51
GrimRob
October 29, 2017, 8:17pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
The supporters paid for a band at Barnet. The club do it for nothing and get vilified. Anything which drums up a bit of atmosphere can't be bad!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 14 - 51
Teesknees
October 29, 2017, 8:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from ginnywings
You cannot manufacture an atmosphere.

Russ Abbott did!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 51
barralad
October 29, 2017, 8:34pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from moosey_club

i dont think its fair to say it was a racket....it was just unwelcome.

They couldn't provide what was needed to get songs going which after all is pretty basic but they could certainly play their instruments. If for example they'd been playing at half time only I'd have enjoyed it.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 51
HertsGTFC
October 29, 2017, 9:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from GrimRob
The supporters paid for a band at Barnet. The club do it for nothing and get vilified. Anything which drums up a bit of atmosphere can't be bad!

The band at Barnet was an actual "band" rather than just a load of drummers.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 51
KingstonMariner
October 29, 2017, 9:34pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
The band at Barnet sprung out of a spontaneous reaction. It came from the fans. That’s why it was successful. Top down ‘atmosphere ‘ doesn’t work.

If you like that sort of thing you’d be watching American ‘football’.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 51
LH
October 29, 2017, 9:45pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,505
Gold Stars: 173
Ignore Rob. He’s doing his best David Burns impression in order to stir up debate on here.

The real issue should be why we had to endure the drag act at half time. We get it - there are gay and trans people. We don’t need educating on it because they are all over our tellys and papers. It’s normal. Stop forcing inclusion on us. They felt so included they copulated off once they were done ffs!
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The band

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.