13 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 All Recommend Thread
Maringer
July 21, 2017, 10:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,475
Gold Stars: 185
When we signed the two, I had a chat with one of our customers who is a big fan of York. He described Berrett as a good footballer but was less complimentary about Summerfield, saying his problem was a lack of concentration. I think we've seen that from Summerfield, even in some of his better games as he was always liable to give possession away in a dangerous area and we were punished a couple of times for this.

That said, without these errors, I think he has more to offer than Berrett and I seem to remember that the Plymouth fans thought he ran the game when we won 3-0 at Home Park. The problem is that you don't get him without the errors very often!

I'd personally rather see Clements play than either of these two, but they are still with us so will no doubt have some part to play this season. It will be interesting to see if Clifton gets a chance with us at any playing time this year. Reportedly a lad with a great deal of potential so he needs to be playing games somewhere. Perhaps worth getting him out on loan until Christmas and then seeing if he can come back and get involved here? Assuming the loan rules allow this, of course.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 123
Heisenberg
July 21, 2017, 11:01am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,032
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Maringer
When we signed the two, I had a chat with one of our customers who is a big fan of York. He described Berrett as a good footballer but was less complimentary about Summerfield, saying his problem was a lack of concentration. I think we've seen that from Summerfield, even in some of his better games as he was always liable to give possession away in a dangerous area and we were punished a couple of times for this.

That said, without these errors, I think he has more to offer than Berrett and I seem to remember that the Plymouth fans thought he ran the game when we won 3-0 at Home Park. The problem is that you don't get him without the errors very often!

I'd personally rather see Clements play than either of these two, but they are still with us so will no doubt have some part to play this season. It will be interesting to see if Clifton gets a chance with us at any playing time this year. Reportedly a lad with a great deal of potential so he needs to be playing games somewhere. Perhaps worth getting him out on loan until Christmas and then seeing if he can come back and get involved here? Assuming the loan rules allow this, of course.

BUT, if Clifton's good enough, just play him!  Age shouldn't matter.  Lack of experience?  Having no experience is better than having a couple of relegations already on your CV.  I know this is very judgemental of some of our players, but honestly, you've got to be sh#t to get relegated from League 2; I don't think any of our players when we were down in the conference would have managed that if they were in the league instead.  You think of some of the garbage players we had when we went down; we have players of that calibre in the squad right now.  The players who were consistently poor last season were Summerfield, Berrett, Boyce and Davies; they just didn't look up to this level.

As for Clements, the guy has an eye for goal, which makes him an effective player.  Nowhere near as effective as Osborne at creating and probing, but a good player nonetheless.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 123
Mariner_09
July 21, 2017, 11:06am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
I'd say Davies is more than comfortable at this level. He only looked out of place when Bignot exposed his 35 year old limbs at wing back on a few occasions. When he had a proper winger in front of him he looked class.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 123
Heisenberg
July 21, 2017, 11:23am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,032
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Mariner_09
I'd say Davies is more than comfortable at this level. He only looked out of place when Bignot exposed his 35 year old limbs at wing back on a few occasions. When he had a proper winger in front of him he looked class.

I agree, yes.  I hope you're right.

I have no doubt that previously in his career, League 2 would have been well beneath Davies.  He has class, I just hope his body can cope.  Fingers crossed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 123
13 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Town in Devon

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.