This thread currently has 10,344 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Mrs Doyle
April 14, 2017, 6:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Thought he was well out of order blasting Danny Andrew for their goal. The ball was in keepers personal space he has the added advantage of reach (with his hands) He should have commanded that situation and never allowed that player to nod it in from such close range. it was the only blip on a otherwise battling win.
Logged Offline
Private Message
HackneyHaddock
April 14, 2017, 6:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
I think some people in the heat of the moment, when they're angry, will deflect any blame or try to minimise their own.

It's good to see the two of them care, at least!  Macca's a great keeper and has been a good servant to the club, but it wouldn't surprise me if Slade wanted to bring in a big, commanding stopper for next season to marshall a well-drilled defence.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 46
Mariner_09
April 14, 2017, 6:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Andrew had lost his man, there was no pressure on the guy. Poor goal from both Macca and Andrew's perspectives.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 46
blundellpork
April 14, 2017, 6:41pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,681
Gold Stars: 34
That was a goalkeepers ball all day long. Any cross that close to the goal and the goalkeeper should collect it without hesitation. Unfortunately this is yet another goal that comes from a goalkeeping error. It put us under unnecessary pressure for the final few minutes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 46
Tommy
April 14, 2017, 6:47pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Poor Goalkeeping from Macca and then he came out and flapped at another cross during injury time too.

We will need better next season I'm afraid, regardless of his past loyalty/service to us.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 46
Bigdog
April 14, 2017, 6:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Tommy
Poor Goalkeeping from Macca and then he came out and flapped at another cross during injury time too.

We will need better next season I'm afraid, regardless of his past loyalty/service to us.

Season long loan bid for Henderson would do the trick..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 46
Sussexmariner
April 14, 2017, 7:03pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +623
Gold Stars: 18
Well done Macca, your "flap" in the injury time cost me £125 on a losing bet!

But seriously I don't think he is a good enough all round keeper for this level, a great shot stopper but doesn't command his area and is prone to to many howlers. New keeper for me next season

Are we any closer to getting promoted since Hurst has been here? No

Has he been given time to achieve promotion by the chairman and fans? Yes

Hurst out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 46
HackneyHaddock
April 14, 2017, 7:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
I'm afraid, McKeown's time as goalkeeper at Grimsby Town, is moving peacefully towards its close.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 46
dapperz fun pub
April 14, 2017, 7:15pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,067
Gold Stars: 84
Simply not good enough in a promotion season ( hopefully next year) a keeper needs to save you 10-15 points not lose you 10-15points, we need consistency in goal macca doesn't offer that and never will
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 46
moosey_club
April 14, 2017, 7:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,325
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Simply not good enough in a promotion season ( hopefully next year) a keeper needs to save you 10-15 points not lose you 10-15points, we need consistency in goal macca doesn't offer that and never will

he didnt cost us any points today.....and...not long after we went 1-0 up he saved us when the defence went AWOL and let in their right winger in, blocking well with his feet.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 46
heppy88
April 14, 2017, 7:28pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Macca, its time to move on to pastures new. The defense appear anxious and uneasy. This became obvious during the Henderson period when he COMMANDED his area. You have been an amazing servant to the club and will be remembered as much , but time for a change.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 46
Kris2
April 14, 2017, 7:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
I'm afraid, McKeown's time as goalkeeper at Grimsby Town, is moving peacefully towards its close.

Well now is the time for him to perform and put himself in the shop window, probably won't be first choice next season but could get himself a contract elsewhere. Maybe if Lincoln are coming up he can go there he won't even have to move house.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 46
rancido
April 14, 2017, 7:53pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,665
Gold Stars: 102
Macca is not good enough if we want to get out of this league. There was talk of him going to Shrewsbury just prior to the transfer deadline and if he does go there in the summer I can't see him keeping a regular place after the first ten games. He has reached his level as a mid table League 2 keeper at best.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 46
Garth
April 14, 2017, 8:13pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Did poorly regarding the goal today but made some good reaction saves during the match, problem with a keeper is that the mistakes he makes are more punishable than those of outfield players.

Big job for Warrington before Mondays game to install some self confidence in Macca, who`s not a poor keeper but one who needs a bit of psychological care to ease him back, he will probably have a match winning performance against Cheltenham on Monday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 46
GrimRob
April 14, 2017, 8:17pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,468
Gold Stars: 115
Very unprofessional arguing with your team mates and must have been music to the opposition's ears. Playing to the whistle is so important, there were a few occasions today when we were waiting for the ref to blow as well. Plenty of time to argue after the match is over.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 14 - 46
Cumbrian Mariner
April 14, 2017, 8:19pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +304
Got to agree, I felt Macca was at fault for the goal.  Out of order reacting at Andrew in the way he did.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 46
Spidey
April 14, 2017, 8:25pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +389
Gold Stars: 4
Agree Macca should have claimed that, they did make up at the final whistle, though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 46
HertsGTFC
April 14, 2017, 8:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.24
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,030
Gold Stars: 232
Lack of professionalism on the part of both players to be honest and a real concern when they started laying their hands on each other though it wasn't even handbags TBH , if that had escalated with a ref as dodgy as the one today both could have ended up getting sent off which would have left us in the mire for the rest of the game and possibly longer.

All being well storm in a tea cup and one that someone with the experience of Slade & Wilko will be able to sort if not done so already.Would be surprised if either of them where here next year to be honest but I hope I am wrong as they are both good players.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 46
dapperz fun pub
April 14, 2017, 8:56pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,067
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from moosey_club

he didnt cost us any points today.....and...not long after we went 1-0 up he saved us when the defence went AWOL and let in their right winger in, blocking well with his feet.

I didn't say he did cost us points today .. but over a season when we want to push on he's not the answer
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 46
April 14, 2017, 9:22pm
Guest User
I'm sure if we'd retained young Deano until the end of the season we'd be in the play-offs now. JM was ok in the conference but below average in L2. Not sure why he's not improved this season with AW as full-time coach.
Reply: 19 - 46
GrimRob
April 14, 2017, 10:20pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,468
Gold Stars: 115
We're probably going to miss out on the play-offs by only a handful of points. If Deano had stayed all season it might have been a different story.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 46
HertsGTFC
April 14, 2017, 10:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob
We're probably going to miss out on the play-offs by only a handful of points. If Deano had stayed all season it might have been a different story.

How many goals has Macca directly cost is since he came back into the side? I would argue that poor morale, abject defending, strange selections, lack of shape, messages to the players they appear not to understand, lack of shots on goal and surrendering leads in games might be the reason we just miss out of that's the case. Oh yeah and losing a striker who season to date had scores 19 goals did not help too.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 46
moosey_club
April 14, 2017, 10:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,325
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

I didn't say he did cost us points today .. but over a season when we want to push on he's not the answer

dont get me wrong....i think he needs to go....certainly not good enough for our aspirations but kept us in a winning position today......having seen the highlights now i am leaning definately more towards him than Andrews for todays shambolic goal...........

as someone else said in a thread the other day though...he has had a goalkeeping coach for some time now and i dont see any signficant improvement.....a coach should be working on the missing %'s from his game but from day one with us he has stuck on his line, doesnt command his area or has rushes of blood and comes out when he shouldnt.....either....the coach isnt good enough...or the player has reached their potential.
Given his dummy spit following Hendersons inclusion and todays outburst his head doesnt seem right either.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 46
PB
April 14, 2017, 10:39pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +256
Gold Stars: 3
It's not just his direct mistakes, it's when he turns into Flappy McFlapface that the defence obviously lose all confidence and that is the real damage. No one in front of him quite knows if he is coming or going. He has some deep lack of confidence or something - as soon as Deano put him under pressure he lost it, and threatened to leave. Hopefully Slade saw this first hand today, and will sort an alternative for next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 46
Maringer
April 14, 2017, 10:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,699
Gold Stars: 189
Definitely the keeper's error for that goal. Andrew could probably have got it but was right to expect the keeper to come instead and hold back. Arguments happen when errors are made - how often have we seen Pearson having a go at teammates, for instance. Making something of this seems silly.

Of course, earlier on, Clements and Andrew (think it was those two) both let a ball run between them in the area and I seem to think McKeown saved from the chance which then fell to their player. On the other hand, errors by keepers tend to get punished.

The idea that we'd be in the play-offs had Henderson stayed is just ridiculous unless there is some sort of an expectation that he would have scored half a dozen of goals as well as keeping clean sheets.

Can I just add that I think anybody who gave an ironic cheer when McKeown collected a bouncing ball soon after their goal is a bit of a sharp object? Way to go to support a player after they've made an error!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 46
Balthazar Bullitt
April 14, 2017, 10:53pm

Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16
If "Deano" had stayed we would have won next year's  world cup already

7 games he played.

Legend.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 46
mariner91
April 14, 2017, 10:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,809
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from moosey_club

dont get me wrong....i think he needs to go....certainly not good enough for our aspirations but kept us in a winning position today......having seen the highlights now i am leaning definately more towards him than Andrews for todays shambolic goal...........

as someone else said in a thread the other day though...he has had a goalkeeping coach for some time now and i dont see any signficant improvement.....a coach should be working on the missing %'s from his game but from day one with us he has stuck on his line, doesnt command his area or has rushes of blood and comes out when he shouldnt.....either....the coach isnt good enough...or the player has reached their potential.
Given his dummy spit following Hendersons inclusion and todays outburst his head doesnt seem right either.

A friend of mine who played in goal for Northern Ireland Under 21's and Hearts before injuring himself was chatting to me about keepers the other day cause I couldn't work out why McKeown hasn't improved either. In his opinion, the biggest factor that makes a difference between keepers is the ability to make the correct decision and it's something that he believes is inherent, not something that can necessarily be coached. He said that handling, kicking and shot stopping can all be improved by coaching but judging what balls to come for or not is something you can either do well or you can't. I think he's probably right in his analysis and I reckon Macca isn't going to improve on the aspects of his game where he's lacking. Like you said, he's reached his potential.

I think Macca can be better than he is at the minute, he's clearly lacking confidence and if he got that back he would maybe flap a little less. It also affects the defence who aren't sure what he will come for. Even away from the goal there was a long ball over the top that Mills assumed (rightly in my opinion) that his keeper would come for but he didn't until the last second making it more uncomfortable than necessary. If we want to go up, it's time we got a new keeper and I think it would help Macca too to have a fresh start elsewhere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 46
MarinersOnTheUp
April 15, 2017, 1:04am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +22 / -2
Approval: +484
Wish people would stop brown nosing Dean Henderson. He was a loan player who played just 7 games.

I'd rather support Mckeown while he's our player.

I'm not saying Henderson wasn't a good keeper who clearly has a good career ahead of him but Mckeown is not a bad one at all. He's low on confidence and losing confidence in your own ability to do your job poroperly can have quite a large effect on somebody, I know that myself as I've been there.

Hendrerson made one or two mistakes while here (admittedly not many) yet nobody gave him any abuse, however, it feels like there's a que of people waiting to jump in Mckeowns back as soon as he makes an error.

Everybody makes mistakes in their job, most don't have any serious consequences - there are some however that do. If you're a medical professional even a minor error could kill somebody, if your a goalkeeper the smallest of errors could cost your team a game.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 46
Superdan147
April 15, 2017, 6:29am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -5
Approval: +112
Gold Stars: 5
another macca mistake all day long, thought it was when I saw it live and now I'm sure it was his now I've seen the highlights, I have no confidence in him and neither does the confidence. Good servant and decent conference keeper but simply not good enough for this level. He has had a poor season.

I also cannot forgive him for wanting away after receiving some competition for the first time in 6 years. He's a petulant child IMO, his positioning has been poor for free kicks, he cannot command his area at all, he flaps regularly also.

I also give a large portion of blame towards andy Warrington. We have 1 senior keeper on our books but we have a full time gk coach? Surely this money would be better used elshewere? Macca had gone backwards if anything since he's been here, makes the same mistakes so I wonder what the hell Warrington has been doing!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 46
jonnyboy82
April 15, 2017, 6:54am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
I think he needs a fresh start and we need a new goalkeeper.

You have done us proud macca but everyone has a time to move on and yours is now , nothing but good to say about macca and  a change would be good all
round.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 46
itsnotcoditshaddock
April 15, 2017, 7:53am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +312
A new keeper wouldn't be a bad idea, as long as theyre more Mildenhall than Anthony Williams..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 46
Swansea_Mariner
April 15, 2017, 9:42am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,481
Gold Stars: 63
A new keeper wouldn't be a bad idea, as long as theyre more Mildenhall than Anthony Williams..

There lies the problem as Mildenhall is the only keeper we've had better than Macca at this level. Williams, Barnes and Colgon were all worse keepers than Macca.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 46
Mariner93er
April 15, 2017, 9:48am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
Having watched the highlights, their player was basically touching the post when he headed it in. The keeper has got to be getting that, and I actually find it concerning that Mckeown couldn't recognise that at the time.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 46
HertsGTFC
April 15, 2017, 10:01am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mariner93er
Having watched the highlights, their player was basically touching the post when he headed it in. The keeper has got to be getting that, and I actually find it concerning that Mckeown couldn't recognise that at the time.

Where are the highlights? is there a link available? As ever they don't appear to be on MP yet.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 46
MarinerWY
April 15, 2017, 10:13am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,992
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Where are the highlights? is there a link available? As ever they don't appear to be on MP yet.

http://www.skysports.com/watch.....wn-2-1-cambridge-utd
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 46
HertsGTFC
April 15, 2017, 10:20am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MarinerWY

Many thanks, looks to me like both players needed to be a bit more physically dominant to be honest, I do tend to think though its a keepers job generally to impose themselves in the 6 yard box. Like the stupidity afterwards six of one half a dozen of the other.

Macca does have form in arguing with his team mates though, especially in recent weeks where the set to with Shaun (who incidentally was skipper that day)  in front of the Ponny springs to mind, I like James but maybe his time with Town has run its course.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 46
forza ivano
April 15, 2017, 10:41am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,299
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

There lies the problem as Mildenhall is the only keeper we've had better than Macca at this level. Williams, Barnes and Colgon were all worse keepers than Macca.

Errrr, think you're forgetting the other Henderson, who was superb
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 46
TownSNAFU5
April 15, 2017, 11:19am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,908
Gold Stars: 42
Macca's shot-stopping abilities do not offset his various weaknesses.  He does not give his defence much confidence in his reliability. He can be weak and/or indecisive in the air, has poor judgement at times and does not command his 6 yard-area.  He also has a poor record facing free-kicks, which might be exacerbated by poor positioning.

He has not stepped up in Division 2.  As others have said, he has regressed compared to 2/3 seasons ago.  His attitude when Henderson came in (and showed us how a keeper should be) was less than helpful. Coaching does not seem to have developed him in the last 2 years.

He also has made specific errors that lead to goals, errors that were all of his own making and totally avoidable.  Carlisle at home this season (I think), when he passed the ball out 5 yards and their player intercepted it and scored.  Just before half-time.

A couple of seasons we played a pre-season friendly at BP.  Macca kicked the ball out of hands and it hit their striker and went straight into the goal!  Can you imagine Henderson doing any of these things?  and he is only 20.

After 6 years Macca would benefit from a move to another club.  A new keeper would improve our chances of promotion as well.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 46
Madeleymariner
April 15, 2017, 11:28am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,073
Gold Stars: 52
Deffo looked his error today, but he kept us in it at Blackpool with 2 superb saves. I just worry his replacement may have their own faults as Ive seen quite a few keeping errors from various lower level goalies
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 46
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 15, 2017, 11:41am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from 28195
I'm sure if we'd retained young Deano until the end of the season we'd be in the play-offs now. JM was ok in the conference but below average in L2. Not sure why he's not improved this season with AW as full-time coach.

The demands on a keeper increase as you go up the leagues. Reaction times on shots are not the only factor. With McKeown the problem seems to be indecision and that leads to inconsistency. That was definitely his ball yesterday but the issue goes deeper than just one happening. The attacks in L2 are just that bit sharper and the crosses that bit better and they need quick decision making.

I was going to use Charlie Wright as example. Not being a big keeper, he would say anything in the 6 yard box is mine, everything else is the defenders. But Charlie did stick to that, he was consistent and a good judge of where the ball was going. McKeown isn't. Some games he comes for the ball, some games he doesn't. In the incident yesterday it was his judgement that was at fault, he didn't decide fast enough where the cross was going and who should get it, so he was on the wrong foot as the ball went across him and swerved into the 6 yard box and left him no chance of either getting the cross or saving the header. In other words he didn't really know whether to sh!t, shave or shower.

On Monday he might decide to go for an identical ball and confuse defenders again. Warrington might go through these things with him time and again but in a game situation the lad simply doesn't make enough of his decisions quick enough or well enough. It must be significant that for all his shot stopping ability, no league club has come with a serious offer while he's been in contract.

It's a pity. I like the lad, he is loyal, he's been an asset to the club and to the community as well, and he tries hard. But he has reached his best performance level and for a promotion side that is just not going to be good enough.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 46
Civvy at last
April 15, 2017, 12:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,239
Gold Stars: 135
I am a big fan of Macca. However,  I do think both parties would benefit if he moves on at the end of this season.

But if anyone out there thinks we have a realistic chance of permanently signing a keeper as good as Henderson I'd like some of what you are smoking.

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 46
Swansea_Mariner
April 15, 2017, 6:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,481
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from forza ivano

Errrr, think you're forgetting the other Henderson, who was superb

Yeah I was only thinking of permanent players, but if we're including loanss we could add Forecast, Lillis and that youth lad from Hull to the crap list.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 46
Mrbump53
April 16, 2017, 12:03pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +335
Gold Stars: 11
Looked at the highlights and think both were at fault to a degree. However, think if Macca controlled his 6 yard box more then defenders would know that he will get those balls. Think that was the difference when Henderson was playing as anything coming into the 6 yard box was his. This should be picked up in training and addressed and would improve Macca's performance tremendously. He still is a good goalkeeper but his weakness is showing. UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 46
headingly_mariner
April 16, 2017, 12:32pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,403
Gold Stars: 124
He's plenty good enough for this level. He's saved us way more times than he's let us down. His weakness is clearly crosses, but all keepers have a weakness at this level. We were a bit spoilt by Henderson, he will play top flight as he has everything.

Macca is not a Nick Colgan or Anthony Williams
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 46
Garth
April 16, 2017, 1:47pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
I just hope that should Macca read this thread it will not affect his attitude on Monday, we really need to stamp on their ambitions of remaining in this league, we owe them one big time,  and expect Macca to do what he can do and has done in the past be on his top form, go for it Jimmy Mac UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 46
Balthazar Bullitt
April 16, 2017, 2:31pm

Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16
Secret footage from a recent training session

[img]http://iruntheinternet.com/lulzdump/images/gifs/diving-board-belly-flop-jump-ouch-1367359940f.gif[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 46
Nelly GTFC
May 8, 2017, 3:49pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,776
Gold Stars: 31
Mckeown made it on to the final EFL Team of the Week for Championship / LeagueOne / League Two.
Quoted from EFL
McKeown was in inspired form on the final day of the Sky Bet League Two season, which came at a cost to league-leading Plymouth Argyle.

The Grimsby goalie produced a string of fine saves to deny the Pilgrims, which saw them beaten to first place by Portsmouth.

Read more at http://www.efl.com/news/article/2016/sky-bet-efl-team-of-the-week-3710053.aspx

[tweet]861567136115949570[/tweet]

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 46
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Macca today

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.