Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Russell Slade
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 100 Guests

Russell Slade

This thread currently has 34,714 views. Print
24 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 11, 2017, 12:32pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from MarinersOnTheUp
Slade is a huge no from me.

Most of our fans want football to be played along the deck and complained about hoodball with previous managers but we all known that spades style is long ball.

If the players that I suspect are the ones who have revolted then I'm even more dissapointed as I wouldn't be bothered if any of them were gone in a few weeks. Really sounds to me like a few senior players have spat there dummy out that changes are being made.

I think we'll live to regret sacking Marcus Bignot.

I am not a Slade supporter but this is simply untrue. His record is not one of a hoofer. Even here his sides didn't hoof it aimlessly. We saw far more of that under Lyons and Hurst than under Slade. There is a great clip we had on here of a Reddy goal at BP involving the ball being played up to Lump and slipped through for Reddy to go one-on-one with the keeper. That was pretty typical. He changed the system to a defensive one purely because he knew it was the way to get out of the division and it suited the players he had. Even Donny last week proved all season the way to do it is tight defence and quick breaks. I don't know where people get this idea that Slade is just a hoof ball merchant at all.

He is not my ideal manager by a long way but the choice is limited. The likes of Adkins are past their sell by and want too much money anyway. Evans is happy at Mansfield. The Cowleys have had the run of the ball but have yet to stay at any club long enough to prove anything. The rest are just your average run of the mill lower division managers. Take your pick. Sometimes it's time for the devil you know, it does work sometimes ....... look at Buckley.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 236
sam gy
April 11, 2017, 12:37pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
If you take away his time with Charlton and Coventry, then he really hasn't done that bad...

Orient are much closer to us in terms of size, than Coventry and Charlton. Perhaps he does better at smaller, relatively stable clubs?

"In 2010, Slade was appointed manager of Leyton Orient and he led the club to two 7th-place finishes, an FA Cup fifth round replay against Arsenal and took the O's to the Play-off Final in 2013–14 – a feat which saw win the LMA League 1 Manager of the Year award. He left Orient to take charge of Championship side Cardiff City, and spent two years in charge of the side, finishing in 11th and 8th positions before being appointed the club's head of football. He resigned from the role after only two weeks and, in June 2016, was appointed manager of Charlton Athletic."

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 236
RichMariner
April 11, 2017, 12:45pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,165
Gold Stars: 211
Did he play hoof ball at Yeovil and Orient?

This appointment screams sensible, if not spectacular.

I think he's more at home managing a smaller club where he has greater control of player acquisition. He's often spoken about being a man-manager, and right now some of our senior pros and potentially key players for next season need reassurances.

He did a great job of saving Brighton from the drop, too. A lot of what they're achieving now wouldn't have been possible without Slade turning things round for them.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 112 - 236
mariner91
April 11, 2017, 12:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,769
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from sam gy

Woodhouse on Twitter - "Grimsby Town, great club, great fans. If I was making the decision on the I'd be on the phone to Russell Slade. Can't think of a number 2"

Cohen on twitter in response to a Town fan saying is head/heart wasn't in it: "Disagree with this Sladey always knew how to motivate his players and a failing to win promotion via the playoffs is not a failure."

McDermott was complimentary in his book...not sure about Whittle, but saw someone mentioning that he's always sung his praises.

Thank you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 236
lew chaterleys lover
April 11, 2017, 1:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,773
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from RichMariner
Did he play hoof ball at Yeovil and Orient?

This appointment screams sensible, if not spectacular.

I think he's more at home managing a smaller club where he has greater control of player acquisition. He's often spoken about being a man-manager, and right now some of our senior pros and potentially key players for next season need reassurances.

He did a great job of saving Brighton from the drop, too. A lot of what they're achieving now wouldn't have been possible without Slade turning things round for them.

I remember a play off game of Yeovil when he was manager there and the football they played was fabulous for a club of the stature of Yeovil. I think they were playing Forest if I remember rightly. He certainly can play fantastic football if the players are there, and as Ron Rafferty's fan club says his supposedly hoof ball here was no such thing. A controlled longer ball game I would describe it as. If it is Slade we could have done a good bit of business there. He has a knack of getting really good players in as well.
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 236
April 11, 2017, 1:04pm
Guest User
Genuinely excited about this appointment- up the mariners
Reply: 115 - 236
Quagmire
April 11, 2017, 1:09pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +932
Gold Stars: 43
8 wins in 37 games with Charlton and Coventry.

Absolutely backwards appointment.

Utterly beyond belief if this is true.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 236
mariner91
April 11, 2017, 1:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,769
Gold Stars: 262
But just 11 months ago he finished 8th in the Championship. No manager we could get will have done well everywhere. Some people (myself included) have been saying we'd love to see Adkins appointed and as much as I stand by that, he finished 11th last season in a division below the one RS finished 8th in. And I would argue that Sheffield United are a bigger club in L1 than Cardiff are in the Championship.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 236
Abdul19
April 11, 2017, 1:20pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,615
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from mariner91
But just 11 months ago he finished 8th in the Championship. No manager we could get will have done well everywhere. Some people (myself included) have been saying we'd love to see Adkins appointed and as much as I stand by that, he finished 11th last season in a division below the one RS finished 8th in. And I would argue that Sheffield United are a bigger club in L1 than Cardiff are in the Championship.

Exactly. He did a good job at Cardiff in difficult circumstances. To say he "failed" because they didn't go up is ridiculously simplistic.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 236
April 11, 2017, 1:26pm
Guest User
RS has been in regular employment as a football league manager - that speaks volumes. He's a good manager.

Last time he was here many fans didn't enjoy the style, but it worked to the extent of getting us into the play-offs.
He left because he could get more money for doing the same job elsewhere - tough to criticise, really.
(Or, if you don't like JF....we were penny-pinching.) That was then.....a decade ago. I was a BIG critic of RS, btw.

I'd say that - here and now - he's probably what we need.....and it's not as if we could have whoever we wanted, anyway.

Probably the biggest obstacle to him being successful this time is whether a significant number of the fans are prepared to
forgive and/or forget the manner of his departure. Hmmm...9 years is probably long enough to hold a grudge......but......
Reply: 119 - 236
24 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Russell Slade

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.